Kyler Murray Contract

H2o

The reason you know the Cardinals were correct is because Murray showed up to his "save face" press conference wearing an "Ea$y" shirt. 

This guy has the brains of a Terrell Owens or Michael Irvin. Cardinals are SCREWED. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Gugny said:

And now Mahomes whips out the race card.  Disappointing.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34313366/specific-criticism-black-quarterbacks-weird

Yeah, this is pretty ridiculous. It's not about race. Mahomes has been on a pedestal ever since he took over as QB1. His play has warranted that. He hasn't faced any kind of scrutiny because he's brown. Russell Wilson is as beloved as they come as well. With Kyler and Lamar, there are legitimate question marks. Lamar's passing ability and the ability to read defenses has been on display for 4 years now. Yes he won an MVP, but everyone sees it. A lot of his plays are improv, created by his legs, and he finds an open man when the play breaks down. He doesn't really sit in the pocket and pick defenses apart like Mahomes and Wilson. Lamar also struggles with throwing the ball outside of the hashes. With Kyler, it's mainly his attitude and apparently his off-the-field work ethic. If one of the greatest WR's, and most humble people to ever step on a football field in Larry Fitzgerald, make mention of someone's arrogance then I TRULY believe what comes out of his mouth. I have also seen Murray flat out throw his teammates under the bus in post game interviews. Multiple times. He's always trying to deflect blame from him or his play. Now we also have this situation with the contract clause. These things are not race driven, they are legitimate concerns that teams have about their $200M+ investments (even though Lamar hasn't gotten his $$$ just yet).

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

More him crying about it 

Meh.  He's allowed to voice his displeasure.

I can't help but to come back to to the Cardinals organization and their recent history.  The hiring and firing of Wilkes after one season, Rosen drafted and dumped after 1 season, the questionable hiring of Kingsbury (although he seems to be working out thus far) and the whole Murray saga - having the clause leak to the media (was it intentional?) and then removing it because of the distraction it caused. 

They're a mess.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

Meh.  He's allowed to voice his displeasure.

I can't help but to come back to to the Cardinals organization and their recent history.  The hiring and firing of Wilkes after one season, Rosen drafted and dumped after 1 season, the questionable hiring of Kingsbury (although he seems to be working out thus far) and the whole Murray saga - having the clause leak to the media (was it intentional?) and then removing it because of the distraction it caused. 

They're a mess.

So's he, it's a match made in heaven.

Doesn't want to do any extra film study on his own, doesn't read his own contract, Yikes.

On 7/30/2022 at 4:39 PM, Chicken Boo said:

We'll see how it turns out.  No Hopkins for the first 6 weeks...

I thought there was a chance that could be reduced? Not seen anything in the last couple of weeks but the story I heard (I might garble this) was that the initial ban was for not only the PED but also the presence of a known masking agent to cover the PED. The second finding is now in dispute and so there was a suggestion it could be reduced to 3-4 games. 

On 7/21/2022 at 11:31 AM, H2o said:

5 years, $230.5M, $160M gtd.

Just reported on ESPN.

Good for the Cardinals

Guaranteeing $160M to a guy they feel the need to specify must study 4 hrs on his own?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34309612/arizona-cardinals-remove-independent-study-clause-quarterback-kyler-murray-contract

Even if they pulled it, that's true Whiskey Tango Foxtrot stuff.

Edited by Beck Water

On 7/29/2022 at 8:00 PM, Warcodered said:

Mahomes can't really put himself on that list, anyone who doesn't think he's a franchise QB is an idiot. Between Lamar and Murray they have 1 playoff win and that was against the Titans that feel like an alternate version of the Ravens with how they play.

Mahomes was handed the keys to a finely-tuned offense and took full advantage of it, driving it to the next level

Murray made one of the most egregious of bad decisions EVER, especially in a playoff game

It's not like being criticized is unique to black QB.  Josh Allen spent the first years of his career having his accuracy and decision making relentlessly questioned, to the point where it was comical watching TV broadcasts sometimes (how they would excuse bad decisions by the opposing QB and slam Allen for them).

I do think black QB face a double standard at times, but why would the Cardinals even have put that clause IN Murray's contract if they didn't have some legit concerns, concerns in preparation and focus that perhaps came out on the field in that horrible display of headless-chicken-like meltdown decision making.

• Agree 2

23 hours ago, Niagara Bill said:

Add Warren Moon to the list of race commentators. 

At least I can understand why Moon sees things this way, because they were definitely true in his time and his career was initially held back because of lack of opportunity.  Moon paved the way so that these kids today didn't have to deal with that level of racist BS.

But I just have to shake my head at guys like Mahomes or a Lebron James going to the race card when they've been universally praised, loved and worshipped their entire adult lives.

There would be zero talk/criticism about Murray if he was clearly putting in the study time or Lamar if he was still producing at or near his MVP level instead of the mediocrity we've seen the past two years   Peyton Manning was trashed by media and fans most of his final season as "washed up" (same for Ben), Arod is consistently criticized for his attitude and lack of postseason success, mid tier guys like Tanny, Cousins, Carr are constantly facing criticism/skepticism about their abilities, and we know what Josh went through.  Every QB faces criticism when they fail to produce relative to the expectations that they (aka their past play) have set for themselves.  Every single one.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

At least I can understand why Moon sees things this way, because they were definitely true in his time and his career was initially held back because of lack of opportunity.  Moon paved the way so that these kids today didn't have to deal with that level of racist BS.

But I just have to shake my head at guys like Mahomes or a Lebron James going to the race card when they've been universally praised, loved and worshipped their entire adult lives.

There would be zero talk/criticism about Murray if he was clearly putting in the study time or Lamar if he was still producing at or near his MVP level instead of the mediocrity we've seen the past two years   Peyton Manning was trashed by media and fans most of his final season as "washed up" (same for Ben), Arod is consistently criticized for his attitude and lack of postseason success, mid tier guys like Tanny, Cousins, Carr are constantly facing criticism/skepticism about their abilities, and we know what Josh went through.  Every QB faces criticism when they fail to produce relative to the expectations that they (aka their past play) have set for themselves.  Every single one.  

Be a very odd person who is "universally praised loved and worshipped" by all.  Celebrities attract people who "feel big" if they put someone else down and I'm sure black celebrities attract racists too.

Valid point that if Murray weren't making totally stupid decisions like in that playoff game and Lamar were producing at the same MVP level criticism would be less.  But point they get the same criticism/skepticism that Carr, Tanny Cousins etc do AND an extra layer of race-directed critique above and beyond it.  We see it with Lamar right on this board.  I don't see the point in denying it or pretending it isn't there.

Edited by Beck Water

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/08/04/kliff-kingsbury-had-kyler-murray-call-plays-to-backup-quarterbacks-in-practice/
Kliff Kingsbury had Kyler Murray call plays to backup quarterbacks in practice

Today Kingsbury explained that he wanted Murray to have the experience so that Murray will understand Kingsbury’s perspective when calling plays in games.

“I just wanted him to know that, hey, this **** ain’t easy,” Kingsbury said. “Every now and then, he starts shaking his head when I’m calling it in there, I’m like, ‘Alright big dog.'”

Kingsbury said Murray was radioing plays into the quarterbacks’ helmet speakers and then continuing to talk to them while the plays were going on, making it difficult for them to concentrate.

“I would not want to play for Kyler Murray if I was a quarterback and he was the coach,” Kingsbury joked.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.