Kyler Murray Contract

H2o

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

That could very well be the case.  Michael Vick never studied film in his Atlanta days.  It wasn't until after his prison stint and subsequent signing with Andy Reid and the Eagles.  

Murray's only 24.  There's time.  Some folks are late bloomers.

It is true that some folk are late bloomers, but generally it’s not from not trying real hard to get better. I get the feeling that Murray has not been doing things like film study or the equivalent since high school, it’s long past time for him to be one of the adults in the room, and that clause in his contract certainly says he isn’t one of the adults. 

I for one see no real future for Murray in the NFL after his repeated pouty attacks last season on top of the remedial homework clause that is a requirement to be re-signed/ extended.

How in the world does a player after seeing his behavior and reading about his lack of effort to improve himself want to put their bodies on the line for the guy??  That’s no leader of men by a long shot. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

A lot of hate for the little guy.  He’s a talent, make no mistake, he’s just a douche.  I would have let him seek a trade personally, but to say he’s not a good QB is just not accurate.  He’s got a great arm, he’s one of the best runners at QB, he’s short he’s, but he knows how to play around that.  He’s a top 10 QB, he was going to get paid. Where I see the issue is he appears to be what Josh Rosen thought himself to be, so damn good, he can do what he wants.  Reminds me of Cutler in a lot of ways. Top 5 talent, bottom 5 attitude and no leadership at all.  Hence, I would not want him, but you also can’t just let him walk away.

• Agree 2

It’s unbelievable, really. A smug-ass, non-working punk of a QB has the most outlandish, disgraceful clause in his contract BECAUSE he’s a lazy slug - but gets $23M???

SHAME on Arizona! 1st, they screw up big time with the ‘Right Josh’, then achieve the sublime mark with this maneuver. 

Kryler Fury and 2a Tongue-a-viola. The Leagues up & coming star QB’s. 🤦‍♂️

Thank God for Josh Allen!

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Agree 2

My guess is that Kyler would probably be a better QB/leader if somebody on the Cards coaching staff (like the HC) had taken him in hand when he during his first three seasons.   That's when he should have been introduced to the obviously alien idea that the NFL is a different animal than college football, and talent alone isn't enough for long-term success.  Instead of redesigning their entire offense to suit Murray, the Cards should have also included plays that would have forced Murray to work at mastering them.   I was a teacher for nearly ten years.   Many students who could ace multiple choice tests -- or even fill-in-the-blank tests -- struggled when writing essays because they had to think.   There were no crutches to help them out. 

I don't think that Kingsbury ever demanded that Murray demonstrate that he could do the football equivalent of writing an essay exam, so Kyler now figures that he can continue to slide by without putting in the effort that other starting QBs do.   Unfortunately, I don't think Kyler is going to change his attitude toward his game prep unless -- until -- something bad happens.  

12 hours ago, SoTier said:

My guess is that Kyler would probably be a better QB/leader if somebody on the Cards coaching staff (like the HC) had taken him in hand when he during his first three seasons.   That's when he should have been introduced to the obviously alien idea that the NFL is a different animal than college football, and talent alone isn't enough for long-term success.  Instead of redesigning their entire offense to suit Murray, the Cards should have also included plays that would have forced Murray to work at mastering them.   I was a teacher for nearly ten years.   Many students who could ace multiple choice tests -- or even fill-in-the-blank tests -- struggled when writing essays because they had to think.   There were no crutches to help them out. 

I don't think that Kingsbury ever demanded that Murray demonstrate that he could do the football equivalent of writing an essay exam, so Kyler now figures that he can continue to slide by without putting in the effort that other starting QBs do.   Unfortunately, I don't think Kyler is going to change his attitude toward his game prep unless -- until -- something bad happens.  

There is a LOT of merit in this. If I was the Cardinals my first response to Murray not working wouldn't be to trade Murray. Top 12 QBs don't grow on trees. It would be to change the coach. Get a vet voice with some authority in charge of the team. Then if Murray still isn't going to shape up at that point you cut your losses and move on. Realistically though the way they have done this deal they are tied to Murray for 3 years, minimum. 2025 is the first time they can even think about getting out and that is with the sort of hits that the Eagles had to swallow trading Wentz - $13m and $20m over two seasons. 

• Agree 1

On 7/26/2022 at 11:07 PM, DCofNC said:

A lot of hate for the little guy.  He’s a talent, make no mistake, he’s just a douche.  I would have let him seek a trade personally, but to say he’s not a good QB is just not accurate.  He’s got a great arm, he’s one of the best runners at QB, he’s short he’s, but he knows how to play around that.  He’s a top 10 QB, he was going to get paid. Where I see the issue is he appears to be what Josh Rosen thought himself to be, so damn good, he can do what he wants.  Reminds me of Cutler in a lot of ways. Top 5 talent, bottom 5 attitude and no leadership at all.  Hence, I would not want him, but you also can’t just let him walk away.

Dude is NOT a top 5 talent. You saying he's better than Allen, Herbert, Mahomes, Rodgers and take your pick of Russ/Brady/Stafford/Burrow?

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

There is a LOT of merit in this. If I was the Cardinals my first response to Murray not working wouldn't be to trade Murray. Top 12 QBs don't grow on trees. It would be to change the coach. Get a vet voice with some authority in charge of the team. Then if Murray still isn't going to shape up at that point you cut your losses and move on. Realistically though the way they have done this deal they are tied to Murray for 3 years, minimum. 2025 is the first time they can even think about getting out and that is with the sort of hits that the Eagles had to swallow trading Wentz - $13m and $20m over two seasons. 

Yeah I'm not sure why the Cards are so sold on Kliff. You brought him in specifically because you were targeting Murray in the draft and this is the result three years later? A mopey, back-half fading QB who you need to contractually bind to film study?

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, LeviF said:

Yeah I'm not sure why the Cards are so sold on Kliff. You brought him in specifically because you were targeting Murray in the draft and this is the result three years later? A mopey, back-half fading QB who you need to contractually bind to film study?

I think he and Steve Keim the GM are both on the hotseat this year. If they miss the playoffs I predict a house clearing. 

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he and Steve Keim the GM are both on the hotseat this year. If they miss the playoffs I predict a house clearing. 

Unlikely. They just signed both of to contract extensions in march through 2027

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2022/03/02/cardinals-sign-steve-keim-kliff-kingsbury-through-2027-season/9343342002/

3 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

That is because otherwise they were going into lame duck years. That is never good practice. If they under perform this year I doubt their new contracts will save them. 

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That is because otherwise they were going into lame duck years. That is never good practice. If they under perform this year I doubt their new contracts will save them. 

Thats fair. I'd be more worried about Kingsbury than Kiem. Bidwell seems to love him. He's been with the Cards for 23 years, 9 as GM. Hes been arrested for DUI, drafted Josh Rosen and Hired Steve Wilkes and still gotten a raise 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Dude is NOT a top 5 talent. You saying he's better than Allen, Herbert, Mahomes, Rodgers and take your pick of Russ/Brady/Stafford/Burrow?

1. Mahomes

2. Allen

3. Rodgers

4. Brady

5. Herbert

6. Burrow

7. Jackson

8. Stafford

9. Wilson

10. Carr

11. Watson (yuck)

12. Prescott

13. Murray

I can easily count 12 guys I'd rather have over Murray. Yeah maybe he goes up a bit if we're building a franchise from the ground up purely because of age, but you have to be nuts to think he's a top 5 talent.  I even think top 10 is a stretch.  

25 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

1. Mahomes

2. Allen

3. Rodgers

4. Brady

5. Herbert

6. Burrow

7. Jackson

8. Stafford

9. Wilson

10. Carr

11. Watson (yuck)

12. Prescott

13. Murray

I can easily count 12 guys I'd rather have over Murray. Yeah maybe he goes up a bit if we're building a franchise from the ground up purely because of age, but you have to be nuts to think he's a top 5 talent.  I even think top 10 is a stretch.  

Respect for Carr top 10

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, LeviF said:

Respect for Carr top 10

If the Raiders weren't such a dumpster fire of an organization I think he'd get more respect.  He's not flashy but he's constantly putting up numbers despite a bad situation around him. 

• Agree 2

39 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

1. Mahomes

2. Allen

3. Rodgers

4. Brady

5. Herbert

6. Burrow

7. Jackson

8. Stafford

9. Wilson

10. Carr

11. Watson (yuck)

12. Prescott

13. Murray

Yea I might quibble with your order a bit but for me Murray is in the 10-13 group. I think those 13 are the teams who "have" their QB but that includes Tampa who have a geriatric who has already unretired once and Cleveland has a guy about the be suspended for who knows how long. Then there is a group of teams who have young guys where we just don't know yet, Indy who have whichever has been will play for them for a year and teams who need a Quarterback. 

Murray is in the franchise group but at the tail end of it. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I might quibble with your order a bit but for me Murray is in the 10-13 group. I think those 13 are the teams who "have" their QB but that includes Tampa who have a geriatric who has already unretired once and Cleveland has a guy about the be suspended for who knows how long. Then there is a group of teams who have young guys where we just don't know yet, Indy who have whichever has been will play for them for a year and teams who need a Quarterback. 

Murray is in the franchise group but at the tail end of it. 

I could see Murray being a top 5 QB in 5 years or completely out of the league. Hes such a wildcard to me 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.