Kyler Murray Contract

H2o

This sounds similar to the time the Oakland Raiders gave Jamarcus Russell a tape and told him to study it.  They then asked him if he had watched the tape & he told them he did.  They knew he was lying because they had given him a blank tape as a test-he failed.  

• Haha (+1) 6

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If you have to put this type of language in a contract...he's probably not the guy to sign.

Exactly. You give him $160M gtd, but have language put into the contract because you do not trust his off-the-field work ethic? Not quite the resounding vote of confidence that you truly believe he's your guy. 

33 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

It must be monitored somehow.  Don’t believe he could just use a mouse mover to get past it.  Wonder how invasive they are allowed to get monitoring?  Capture him on camera? Have a coach be on with him? Record his entire interaction?  

The team issues him tech equipment to study on. There is software out there that can track eye movement and attentiveness, many new cars have this feature (one such rental recommended I pull over and stretch my legs when driving drowsy).

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

It must be monitored somehow.  Don’t believe he could just use a mouse mover to get past it.  Wonder how invasive they are allowed to get monitoring?  Capture him on camera? Have a coach be on with him? Record his entire interaction?  

End all is, how could you guarantee that much money if you have to monitor his studying habits away from the team?  How engaged is he with studying when with the team? This info getting out will certainly taint him with his teammates.  If Larry Fitzgerald was still with the team, what respect would he give to KM?

If I'm spending that money and have a clause like that, there's video application built into the software that requires facial recognition and tracks eye movement.  I'm assuming since it's "independent film study" that a coach won't be on Zoom with him.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, DasNootz said:

If I'm spending that money and have a clause like that, there's video application built into the software that requires facial recognition and tracks eye movement.  I'm assuming since it's "independent film study" that a coach won't be on Zoom with him.

Apparently he has to study on an iPad and the Cardinals can monitor it.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

This sounds similar to the time the Oakland Raiders gave Jamarcus Russell a tape and told him to study it.  They then asked him if he had watched the tape & he told them he did.  They knew he was lying because they had given him a blank tape as a test-he failed.  

Yeah heard that on WGR yesterday driving home...story was they knew he wasn't studying so they gave him a few blank DVDs and told him to study them and come back and let them know what plays he would like to take out that wouldn't work and what ones he would like to keep.  Came back the next day and said "All of them should work good".

22 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Watch him have some nerd write a script to make it look like he's doing it.

Hey now...I prefer to be called Dork :)

I think it's very telling that they had to add this whole 'study time' thing to his contract.

Pretty much a direct indictment on his work ethic and inability to perform consistently against good defenses.

Either way good for him, won't be the last huge deal we see handed out to a QB that is debatable regarding how good he really is.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, hemma said:

Wonder if the NFLPA has any footing to get involved on this one.

I wouldn't think so. It was a contract addendum that Murray and the team both freely agreed to.

If it starts becoming standard operating procedure to include a clause like this in contracts then the NFLPA might want to try and address it in the next CBA.

4 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

The majority of people will look at this development for what it is and not what it might become.  Kyler, 24, could be scary good if it "clicks" for him and he matures.  Not exactly what you want to hear about your franchise QB, but this is the situation.

He's already above average at the position without studying film.  That's impressive.

It's an impressive waste of talent.  I can't see how after 3 years in the league, Kyler is going to suddenly change his attitude towards his career.   I think that the only way Murray gets the "attitude adjustment" he needs is if AZ were to cut him before the end of his contract or not re-sign him to a new contract.   it may very well be too late then for him to re-establish himself as a starting QB with another team.

My guess is that in twenty years Murray will be one of those ex-players that people will say could have been great if only ... 

3 hours ago, Maynard said:

The 4 hours of study time per week shows you what kind of guy they are dealing with. Good luck with that! 

Exactly.   QBs like Brady, Rodgers, Allen, Mahomes, Stafford, etc probably regularly spend 8 to 10 hours a week voluntarily studying film.   Many much less talented NFL QBs voluntarily spend far more than 4 hours a week studying film just trying to get better.

Edited by SoTier

25 minutes ago, stuvian said:

it's amazing that QBs at this level have to be made to study film

I held off on commenting because I thought that maybe we weren’t getting the whole picture.  But, no.  I don’t know how you give that contract to a QB whose contract needs that clause.  Madness.  But Ive said it before, some owners/GMs/HCs are more concerned about revenue/their next contract more than winning a SB. That’s how Kurt Cousins keeps getting paid. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Yeah heard that on WGR yesterday driving home...story was they knew he wasn't studying so they gave him a few blank DVDs and told him to study them and come back and let them know what plays he would like to take out that wouldn't work and what ones he would like to keep.  Came back the next day and said "All of them should work good".

Hey now...I prefer to be called Dork :)

Are you sure it wasn’t an old story about Jamarcus Russell? I can’t seem to find anything on a similar story about Kyler Murray.

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2022/7/25/23277988/kyler-murrays-contract-jamarcus-russell

So the legend goes... The Oakland Raiders suspected that top pick JaMarcus Russell wasn’t actually watching the game film that coaches were giving him to study for the next game, so finally they gave him some blank tapes. The next day, Russell said the game plan looked good to him, unaware that there was no actual film on the DVDs given to him by the Raiders.

The story was just a story until recently when Russell all but confirmed it while making an appearance on The Pivot podcast.

Edited by BillsFan4

3 hours ago, SoTier said:

It's an impressive waste of talent.  I can't see how after 3 years in the league, Kyler is going to suddenly change his attitude towards his career.   I think that the only way Murray gets the "attitude adjustment" he needs is if AZ were to cut him before the end of his contract or not re-sign him to a new contract.   it may very well be too late then for him to re-establish himself as a starting QB with another team.

My guess is that in twenty years Murray will be one of those ex-players that people will say could have been great if only ... 

That could very well be the case.  Michael Vick never studied film in his Atlanta days.  It wasn't until after his prison stint and subsequent signing with Andy Reid and the Eagles.  

Murray's only 24.  There's time.  Some folks are late bloomers.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.