Kyler Murray Contract

H2o

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Who wants to take bets that Murray will be traded by the end of 2025?

No way anyone would take the contract if it came to that. Solid bet he’ll be cut tho. 

That is insane that they have to put these clauses in there.  I love Josh more and more. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Maybe Someday said:

No way anyone would take the contract if it came to that. Solid bet he’ll be cut tho. 

That is insane that they have to put these clauses in there.  I love Josh more and more. 

No matter what, Arizona is stuck with paying that full signing bonus. The rest of his salary will not be at all expensive. He will become even more of a major headache and will get traded.

Edited by Beast

13 minutes ago, Beast said:

No matter what, Arizona is stuck with paying that full signing bonus. The rest of his salary will not be at all expensive. He will become even more of a major headache and will get traded.

His signing bonus is less than $30M. I think You’re confusing signing bonus and guaranteed money. A lot of his guaranteed money is his base salary, which any team that trades for him would owe. The rest of his contract is really expensive, go look up the breakdown.

No one will trade for that contract. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Maybe Someday said:

His signing bonus is less than $30M. I think You’re confusing signing bonus and guaranteed money. A lot of his guaranteed money is his base salary, which any team that trades for him would owe. The rest of his contract is really expensive, go look up the breakdown.

No one will trade for that contract. 

You're right. My bad.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

It’s scary they even needed this clause in the contract.

What is the consequences if he does only 2 hours of video study a week? I am not being sarcastic but what is his punishment? Is this the way the team can void the contract before the big money hits in 2 years? This line seems crazy 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

What is the consequences if he does only 2 hours of video study a week? I am not being sarcastic but what is his punishment? Is this the way the team can void the contract before the big money hits in 2 years? This line seems crazy 

He forfeits his guaranteed money.

The majority of people will look at this development for what it is and not what it might become.  Kyler, 24, could be scary good if it "clicks" for him and he matures.  Not exactly what you want to hear about your franchise QB, but this is the situation.

He's already above average at the position without studying film.  That's impressive.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

The majority of people will look at this development for what it is and not what it might become.  Kyler, 24, could be scary good if it "clicks" for him and he matures.  Not exactly what you want to hear about your franchise QB, but this is the situation.

He's already above average at the position without studying film.  That's impressive.

That's some spin right there.

D.C. worthy.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Doc said:

Pretty sad.  But not surprising, if true.

I'd use the word stupid rather than sad.  Stupid on Cardinals end for agreeing to a contract with a player for that much money when you have concerns over these issues.

12 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Since it's independent study, how will they really know?  I'm sure as we speak Murray has already hired a dog trainer to teach his dog how to hit the correct spot on the tablet so it keeps changing pages and how to hit the forward and reverse buttons for a video so it appears he's doing something while he sips a drink poolside.

12 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

It’s scary they even needed this clause in the contract.

It is. I was generally supportive of the contract. I think if you are one of the 13 or 14 teams in the NFL that knows you "have your Quarterback", and purely based on play on the field I'd put Arizona in that territory, then the fact you have to overpay for a guy towards the bottom of that list of 13 or 14 guys is just the market and you have to wipe your face and do it anyway. 

However, if you have major questions about that guy's application to his craft then it does give me pause for thought about whether I'd have done that deal. Especially with the team the Cardinals have, which is an older vet group, you could trade some of those vets away for assets and blow it up. That might be a hard sell to a fanbase only 3 years removed from the #1 pick they spent on Murray, but at the same time, if the guy isn't willing to put the work in then he is not ever going to be the answer despite his natural talent.

The question for me is how are they going to monitor whether he does, or doesn't meet the condition in the contract? Is he going to have a team chaperone follow him home?

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

This will be a fun arbitration hearing

”Kyler, did you study for your game?”

”Yes”

“I’m gonna check”

”Fine fine I’ll go study!”

someone will have to check on him in his room to make sure he's not playing video games online with friends

7 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Since it's independent study, how will they really know?  I'm sure as we speak Murray has already hired a dog trainer to teach his dog how to hit the correct spot on the tablet so it keeps changing pages and how to hit the forward and reverse buttons for a video so it appears he's doing something while he sips a drink poolside.

It must be monitored somehow.  Don’t believe he could just use a mouse mover to get past it.  Wonder how invasive they are allowed to get monitoring?  Capture him on camera? Have a coach be on with him? Record his entire interaction?  

End all is, how could you guarantee that much money if you have to monitor his studying habits away from the team?  How engaged is he with studying when with the team? This info getting out will certainly taint him with his teammates.  If Larry Fitzgerald was still with the team, what respect would he give to KM?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.