Kyler Murray Contract

H2o

Pre-injury last year it looked like he'd really turned a corner into becoming an elite player. Through week 8 - Averaged 285 through the air completing 72.4% - 17 TDs to 7 Ints - Another 150 yards on the ground.

Extrapolate that out and its 4800 through the air 36 TDs and 15 picks.  Another 300 and 6 TDs on the ground.  

I'm not sure hes "that guy" but i can see why his agents asking for what he is - when he was healthy last year he was basically a tiny little josh allen. 

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

This doesn’t surprise me.

What were they going to do? Franchise tag him after this year?

The Browns giving Watson that obscene ( in more ways than one) contract just upped the ante for all who follow.

At least they didn't perpetuate that stupid "fully guaranteed" thing.

• Like (+1) 1

Is it just me, or do Beane's contracts frequently look like amazing values about two years into them?

I know that part of it is just the nature of the market. The "highest paid at his position" at the time of signing quickly becomes the sixth highest paid as other players sign deals.

Still, the value I see in Beane's contracts seems to go beyond that. 

Whatever he may lack in pure player evaluation, he sure seems to make up for in shrewd contract maneuvering. Credit also to former Bills fan punching bag turned afterthought Jim Overdorf, who Beane says plays a big part in the specifics of the deals.

Edited by Logic
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

This doesn’t surprise me.

What were they going to do? Franchise tag him after this year?

The Browns giving Watson that obscene ( in more ways than one) contract just upped the ante for all who follow.

i would have franchise tagged him for two years. If he does not then pan out by that time, i  let him go as FA and be someone else's dilemma.

7 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

At least they didn't perpetuate that stupid "fully guaranteed" thing.

He didn’t merit it.

I think it’s the “ A rising tide lifts all boats.” Principle.
   Even lesser talents are going to have leverage . Murray didn’t sexually assault anyone. Any talk of poor leadership could have that as a counter argument.

8 minutes ago, cba fan said:

i would have franchise tagged him for two years. If he does not then pan out by that time, i  let him go as FA and be someone else's dilemma.

I think he proved his ability to be a petulant little brat. My guess is the team thought about that and could see what an absolute cluster it could become.

I’m not a Murray fan but he has shown consistent improvement. The NFC is wide open and there is potential there over the next few years WITH LUCK.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

I mean they signed him cause they had to. There doesn' seem to be second tier qb money. It's either backup money or starter money. 

I heard an analysis of QBs and roster building.  The conclusion was that the best place to be is with a top 8 (ish) QB on a rookie deal.  The second best place was to have a top 8 QB on ANY deal.  Third was to have a QB in the middle half of the league (9-24 ish) on a rookie deal.  But a bad place to be was to have a QB in that range on a market value contract.  That’s because those QBs get paid about the same money as the top ones, but don’t get their teams the wins the top QBs do.  I’d say this contract for Murray puts the Cardinals in that last category.

Teams with bottom 8 QBs would not be paying out a big contract to one so they would be able to acquire one via the draft, trade or FA.  They could more easily and quickly get to one of the two better places than a team that’s weighed down by a big, long term contract to a mediocre QB.

7 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Yes.

Dude isn't even close to that tier

These decisions are often more about maintaining jobs than winning a championship.  Sure, sometimes Joe Flacco happens, but it’s an outside chance at best. 

• Like (+1) 3

With cap, it all comes down to which teams get the most value per dollar with all their players.

Arizona was in a tough situation (I think Ravens are, too), in that they had a QB that hasn't proven he can "rise to the occasion" when it matters most.  What someone should do is rank the QB contracts based on value per dollar.  Ultimately that is the way to construct a roster.  Bad contracts can kill.

I was originally concerned (end of Josh's year 2), that they'd be forced to overpay, clearly not the case.

I think Dallas overpaid Prescott.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Yeah, you are right.  He had AZ by the balls.  I hate this part of the business side of football.  

Not sure why you hate this part. Owners are raking in a ton of $ and there is a cap. The owners are fine.

Yeah, let the rich, white,old Billionaires keep raking in the $.

The players that put their lives on the line be damned.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.