Who do you consider to be the most overrated player(s) at their position in NFL history?

Big Turk

On 7/21/2022 at 10:11 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

Namath's stats:

- 50% completion percentage

- TD/INT ratio 173/220.  That is just awful

- 65.5 career QB rating

Different era.  If you think Namath's stats are awful, take a look at our own Wall of Fame QB Jack Kemp:  

46.7 % completion percentage

TD/INT ratio 114/183, worse than Namath

57.3 career QB rating.

• Dislike 1

13 hours ago, Dopey said:

Josh Allen.

The other Josh Allen.🤣 Number 7pick overall and is averaging 6.8 sacks a year.

So you are saying Josh Allen is the most overrated linebacker in NFL history? I find that really difficult to take seriously let alone actually believe.

14 hours ago, Dopey said:

Josh Allen.

The other Josh Allen.🤣 Number 7pick overall and is averaging 6.8 sacks a year.

That average goes up if you factor in that he missed half of 2020 after being IR’d with a knee injury he tried playing with for four games, and he missed a game or two last year with Covid. 

History is tough. Asomugha's name came to mind as well especially after Shady roasted him recently.

It's hard to pick somebody who retired still overrated, it seems like people typically course correct over time. For example, the half decade or so where people thought Jay Cutler was good was a mistake because he was clearly a checked-out douche canoe at best. The mental was never there, at any point. They burned his jerseys here in Denver when he left. Leveon Bell is another example. Probably hard for many to overrate him now but boy was he considered top tier for awhile.

I always thought Aikman was overrated and he might legitimately still be.

Lastly I personally find Brandin Cooks overrated in a weird way. Is he talented and does he put up stats? Of course, but they guy just kind of has a history of being nearly invisible on mediocre to bad teams and somehow cobbles together 1k seasons without really doing anything. Like a modern Stevie Johnson. He's maybe the 6th best WR from that 2014 draft. I don't think many consider him to be top tier but he's always mentioned alongside some much better names in fantasy circles, etc. I think he's closer to a Robby Anderson than a Davante Adams personally.

• Agree 1

On 7/21/2022 at 12:20 PM, Rico said:

Walter Payton. Granted, the Bears were boring af until 1985, so I didn’t pay them much mind.

Wow I think this might be the most interesting reply in the thread. Is this from personal experience? I was 7 when he retired so have no experience watching the guy live but the numbers really don't support this. I could even buy the Emmitt is overrated argument over this, although I personally think his durability counts. Genuinely curious

On 7/20/2022 at 10:18 PM, JayBaller10 said:

If Eddie George was a Cowboy during those years and Emmitt Smith ran for the Oilers/Titans, how do you think the production would’ve fared for each player in their new environment? Would Emmitt still be as highly regarded as Eddie George was while running behind an inferior line? I think Eddie George behind that Cowboys OL would’ve been scarier than Emmitt Smith. Just my opinion.

How about Barry Sanders behind that Dallas line?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 7/21/2022 at 6:40 AM, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I'm going with Lamar Jackson.  Obviously very talented, but I think he gets so much hype because people (media) get uncomfortable to criticize him due to the whole "play WR" thing etc.  Yet, when most people hype him up, the first thing often referenced is his ability to "run".  And when teams are able to bottleneck his ability to run or get ahead in games, he's not near as successful.  Bottomline: if he was required to play in a more traditional system would he be as good?  

I am not a Lamar Jackson fan but why WOULD YOU play him in a  “more traditional system”?

That was a pet peeve of mine for years.  Until recently, GMs, scouts, coaches and talking heads would look at a running QB or one playing in a certain college system and say “he’s not a fit for a pro system”.  Finally some coaches adapted their systems to the QB and we have some awesome passing offenses today.

• Agree 1

On 7/21/2022 at 7:48 AM, Not at the table Karlos said:

Emmitt Smith and it's not even close. 

Go look at Emmitt's numbers year to year.  While he may have benefitted from a great line, he himself was a beast!  It was a great combination.

His durability alone, given his usage, is something to behold.

3 hours ago, Nelius said:

Wow I think this might be the most interesting reply in the thread. Is this from personal experience? I was 7 when he retired so have no experience watching the guy live but the numbers really don't support this. I could even buy the Emmitt is overrated argument over this, although I personally think his durability counts. Genuinely curious

If you look at his stats, he was awesome… consistently productive for a very long time, game after game. Like I said though, those Bears teams for me were hard to watch, very very boring. They were mediocre for the most part until the year before they won it all in 1985. So I will acknowledge his numbers, but I won’t put him near the top of best RBs I have seen over the years, simply because I didn’t watch him too much, there was almost always a better game on. What I did see, I can’t take the career, but I will take the best years of say OJ over him.

4 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Go look at Emmitt's numbers year to year.  While he may have benefitted from a great line, he himself was a beast!  It was a great combination.

His durability alone, given his usage, is something to behold.

I have many times. My friends and I were bored and debating running backs not that long ago. We watched every carry for the top 15 backs on rushing list. 

7 hours ago, Nelius said:

If it is his experience is falsely remembered. Payton is by far the highest ranked RB in PFR's Hall of Fame Monitor rankings(not the be all end all, but pretty good) at like 216 and the next closest is Jim Brown at 177. Then Sander and Emmitt Smith also in the 170s.

How can a man be overrated when he is far and away the highest ranked player in NFL history at his position? If anything he is UNDERRATED.

4 hours ago, noacls said:

Jerry Hughes 4.8 sacks per year average and all the stupid penalties. 

As great of a teammate and member of the community as Jerry had been in his 9 seasons in Buffalo I think you are mostly correct. He did have the two 10 sack seasons his first two years here and I think that is what really made him a fan favorite throughout throughout his entire 9 years here. Without those initial two seasons I'm not sure he would have lasted more than a few years here. And yeah it seemed like you could always count on one 5 yard offside penalty every game from Hughes.

On 7/21/2022 at 6:17 AM, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

NFL History - Bo Jackson....This guy did next to nothing in his short four year career.

Buffalo Bills History - Duke Williams and Christian Wade

Mike Jasper for Bills

Terry Bradshaw for most overrated outside of Bills.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.