Who do you consider to be the most overrated player(s) at their position in NFL history?

Big Turk

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

If he didn't throw any tds they still would have won 10-9.  

Can't make this claim, the game and the decisions being made would have been completely different. They may have, but they may not have.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Namath's stats:

- 50% completion percentage

- TD/INT ratio 173/220.  That is just awful

- 65.5 career QB rating

I already agreed that Namath's career stats weren't good.  But they don't tell the whole story of an immensely talented guy whose career was marred by injuries.

In 1967, Namath was dominant.  He led the AFL with over 4007 yards passing.  Daryle Lamonica, Len Dawson, Bob Griese, Jack Kemp, John Hadl - none of these other highly skilled QBs came close.  Namath also led the league with 8.2 yards per attempt.  He was tearing it up!

The NFL had some great QBs too: Sonny Jurgenson, Bart Starr, Johnny Unitas, Roman Gabriel, etc.  None of these QBs were as scary or productive as Namath was that year.  

After '67 Namath was diminished by injuries.   

I stand by what I said earlier: Namath never reached his potential.  But there were flashes of undeniable talent before the beatings he he suffered eroded his ability.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I already agreed that Namath's career stats weren't good.  But they don't tell the whole story of an immensely talented guy whose career was marred by injuries.

In 1967, Namath was dominant.  He led the AFL with over 4007 yards passing.  Daryle Lamonica, Len Dawson, Bob Griese, Jack Kemp, John Hadl - none of these other highly skilled QBs came close.  Namath also led the league with 8.2 yards per attempt.  He was tearing it up!

The NFL had some great QBs too: Sonny Jurgenson, Bart Starr, Johnny Unitas, Roman Gabriel, etc.  None of these QBs were as scary or productive as Namath was that year.  

After '67 Namath was diminished by injuries.   

I stand by what I said earlier: Namath never reached his potential.  But there were flashes of undeniable talent before the beatings he he suffered eroded his ability.  

The argument would be why is he in the HOF for a few good years?  You could take countless players who produced huge seasons for a few years and then their careers were cut short by injury that produced far longer than Namath did but aren't in the HOF.  Sterling Sharpe would be one of them...one of the greatest WRs ever to play, not in the HOF. Far more worthy than Namath, IMO

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

You mad, bro?

Listen Mr Met! lol

Naw more just like the logic people go to because they dislike a dude is wild and such far reaches. I'd rather people just see he curb stomped our Bills forever and the media coverage of him annoys me so I refuse to say anything good about him and move on.

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

I'm not saying Brady is bad I'm saying he's overrated. 

In what way?  How does a defense playing well have anything to do with that teams QB?  That's about a big a stretch as you can make without the band breaking. really pushing the boundaries of logical reasoning with that one.

Edited by Big Turk

Just now, corta765 said:

Listen Mr Met! lol

Naw more just like the logic people go to because they dislike a dude is wild and such far reaches. I'd rather people just see he curb stomped our Bills forever and the media coverage of him annoys me so I refuse to say anything good about him and move on.

I've had my balls busted here for years for giving Tom Brady the credit he's due.  I've always loved watching him play.  He is the GOAT ... and he will forever be the Bills' daddy.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

In what way?  How does a defense playing well have anything to do with that teams QB?  That's about a big a stretch as you can make without the band breaking. really pushing the boundaries of logical reasoning with that one.

If your defense holds an opponent to 9 points you're almost guaranteed to win.  A game manager can win that game.  Brady has had more top 5 defenses than Rodgers, Manning Mahomes and others combined. He's had the benefit of having the best teams surrounding him than any other player.  

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The argument would be why is he in the HOF for a few good years?  You could take countless players who produced huge seasons for a few years and then their careers were cut short by injury that produced far longer than Namath did but aren't in the HOF.  Sterling Sharpe would be one of them...one of the greatest WRs ever to play, not in the HOF. Far more worthy than Namath, IMO

I think there are a number of players in the HOF who don't belong there.  I guess Namath got in because when the Jets beat the Colts, it was a paradigm shifting moment - one that he predicted.  The Jets didn't just become world champs, the entire AFL was elevated.  

Personally, though, despite my appreciation for his talent, I wouldn't have voted him in.  

1 hour ago, billybrew1 said:

A Buffalo Bill?

Phil Hanson. Maybe he was very good at tying up blockers but Bruce Smith needed more from that position, the NT position and biscuit’s position the whole peak of his career. Bruce was basically alone as an impact player till Bryce Paup got here. Hanson as a blocker tyer upper probably wasn’t as good as Fred Smerlas. Blocker tyer uppers have to be really something, imho, to make the wall…. Ted Washington? Yes. Phil Hanson? No….. he ruins the integrity of the whole wall, imho….

The overrated Buffalo Bill is Ruben Brown.

43 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

You will probably get mocked for this, but I won't laugh at you. Even amongst the pantheons of greatness -- we can acknowledge that a player was great and at the same time say that he was somewhat overrated.

Regarding Marino, I am reminded of what Jimmy Johnson said nearly 30 years ago when he had very recently stepped down from being the Cowboys' head coach and was working as an analyst. The debate was who was the best RB in the NFL -- Barry Sanders or Emmitt Smith. Jimmy said that he thought that Barry was the greatest RUNNER in the NFL, as he could do things rushing that he had never seen anyone else EVER do. However, he thought that Emmitt was the better RUNNING BACK because he was better is many other key areas, including pass protection and receiving. Smith was also more reliable about getting those 1-2 yards to convert on a first down or score a TD than Barry was.

I liken this same principle to Marino, who may have been the greatest PURE PASSER that the league has EVER seen. He could make every pass with precision and had that all-time quick release. However... he was lacking in many other areas, in particular his ball-handling. He could NEVER sell the play action and defenders could always tell whether the play was going to be a pass or a hand off because Dan telegraphed it. Marino's supporters always pointed out that he did all he did despite the fact that the Dolphins were never able to get a running game to support him. I would argue that it was Marino's own fault that the team never got the running game going.

Anyway, I guess where I am going with this is that while Marino may have truly been one of the top 3 PASSERS in NFL history, he would not make my list of the top 10 QUARTERBACKS.

Marino was most lacking in big game clutch.

28 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

If your defense holds an opponent to 9 points you're almost guaranteed to win.  A game manager can win that game.  Brady has had more top 5 defenses than Rodgers, Manning Mahomes and others combined. He's had the benefit of having the best teams surrounding him than any other player.  

Oh? How did that work out for the Bills last year in Jacksonville?

image.thumb.png.7ac76a920d8e548b3566510a39cfbcec.png

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Qb-Troy Aikman

Rb- Emmitt Smith

Wr- Michael Irvin

Individually each is above average and only achieved greatness due to the all time great oline that the Cowgirls had. That oline should be talked about more than 2 out of the above 3 named players

3 hours ago, Whkfc said:

But he never played a full season because baseball came first. He would always show up week 7 or 8 when the Royals season ended unlike Deon who put football first.

Not trying to argue, I actually agree with you about the baseball stuff.... I just feel he's remembered with such reverence and I never felt he was that great. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.