Taron Johnson on the outside.

billvernsays

I know Taron Johnson is one of the best Nickel corners in the NFL but with the surprise of drafting Terrell Bernard in the 3rd round, is it possible that McBeane are thinking they could move Taron Johnson outside and get a 3rd LB on the field? 

im thinking the answer is yes and that’s why the pick they made in round 3 makes sense.

If I’m right we’ll see if that was the thought process early as the 1st few games with no T White will provide much opportunity to roll out this personal grouping. 

• Eyeroll 4
  • Disagree 3
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Dislike 2

14 minutes ago, billvernsays said:

I know Taron Johnson is one of the best Nickel corners in the NFL but with the surprise of drafting Terrell Bernard in the 3rd round, is it possible that McBeane are thinking they could move Taron Johnson outside and get a 3rd LB on the field? 

im thinking the answer is yes and that’s why the pick they made in round 3 makes sense.

If I’m right we’ll see if that was the thought process early as the 1st few games with no T White will provide much opportunity to roll out this personal grouping. 

lol nope. Sorry but that’s not happening. 

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

"Yeah.  100%." -Rex Ryan.

love the subset of fans/posters that  have that unique pathology where they just insist on moving players from their natural position.

5 hours ago, billvernsays said:

So if we roll 3 LBs we are taking one of our best players off the field when would don’t have to. 

who says they’re rolling 3 LBs? You?

Edited by JoPoy88

5 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

love the subset of fans/posters that just have that unique pathology where they just insist on moving players from their natural position.

who says they’re rolling 3 LBs? You?

I’m assuming they weren’t using a 3rd pick on a backup for Milano. 

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

Bills play base Nickel.

Taron Johnson is a fantastic Nickel CB.

Why would the Bills change everything about their consistently top ranked defense? Even with Tre White out and Levi Wallace at 1CB, they still held their own. 

You want them to change everything and take one of their best players out of his natural position because… they drafted a linebacker in the 3rd?

Ok, let me help you. Do you remember AJ Klein? He played a bunch of snaps. Imagine Terrell Bernard as AJ Klein in year 1, with the benefit that he’s good depth and also a good ST player. That’s what he’s gonna do.

Lets just all slowly walk away from this one… and let’s all agree that we need to move Cordy Glenn to Guard and Troy Vincent to Safety too.

40 minutes ago, billvernsays said:

I’m assuming they weren’t using a 3rd pick on a backup for Milano. 

Taron is too slow and to become a regular starter outside.  They used the 3rd round pick to backup Milano and compete to fill the A.J. Klein role at least for now.

Edited by Doc Brown

1 hour ago, billvernsays said:

No. They played the highest percentage of nickel D in the NFL and finished #1 overall.

Now they are just going to scrap that and go back to a base 4-3?

C'mon man...I know it's cool to come up with hypotheticals but this is about as far fetched as you can get 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billvernsays said:

Animated GIF

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

Bills play base Nickel.

Taron Johnson is a fantastic Nickel CB.

Why would the Bills change everything about their consistently top ranked defense? Even with Tre White out and Levi Wallace at 1CB, they still held their own. 

You want them to change everything and take one of their best players out of his natural position because… they drafted a linebacker in the 3rd?

Ok, let me help you. Do you remember AJ Klein? He played a bunch of snaps. Imagine Terrell Bernard as AJ Klein in year 1, with the benefit that he’s good depth and also a good ST player. That’s what he’s gonna do.

Lets just all slowly walk away from this one… and let’s all agree that we need to move Cordy Glenn to Guard and Troy Vincent to Safety too.

Forget it. Don’t waste your time.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Buffalo Bills do not put short armed corners outside.

How well could a 'short armed' corner 'straight arm' an opposing player, even though the 'straight arm' is generally employed by a ball carrier?  Seems like an attempt by the OP to 'strong arm' Bills defensive coaching. 🤔

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

How well could a 'short armed' corner 'straight arm' an opposing player, even though the 'straight arm' is generally employed by a ball carrier?  Seems like an attempt by the OP to 'strong arm' Bills defensive coaching. 🤔

Yeah - I honestly always thought nickel was more difficult.  More responsible for run fits, and no sideline boundary to rely on.  Having played CB in high school... i need that sideline.  I also needed it to be on my right.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The Buffalo Bills do not put short armed corners outside. I don't know how many times we have had to have that conversation this off season. 

Elam and Johnson have the same arm length. Elam has a longer wingspan though.

That said, I don’t see the Bills moving Johnson. Why would they? I know Marlon  Humphrey has done it. I’m sure Johnson could. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.