And then "BOOM!" Madden 23 ratings started coming out. (**Friday: QB’s Allen 4th at 92; Bills 2nd at 89**)

dollars 2 donuts

8 hours ago, chongli said:

Honestly, it's a video game, so I don't really care. Also, I may be old school, but back in my day, only kids played video games and watched cartoons. Sorry!

Partly because when you were growing up, the adults that were around hadn’t grown up playing video games. Adults of that time had different hobbies and the video games that game out were catered to kids. Nowadays, different genres of games are appealing to different ages (and some are appealing to all ages)

Born in 74, Atari, Coleco vision and Nintendo all came out less than 10 year apart and were main attractions.  They were my baby sitter.  If I wasn’t playing a sport, I would get home 2-3 hours before my parents, turn on the Atari and keep myself entertained til they got home.  At the age of 8+

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Depends on why you buy the game in the first place. 

Myself, I would agree I wouldn't need more than one version because I don't play online.   Others likely but it for the online pvp so they need the same version as everyone else. 

Ah.  That makes sense.  The last sports game (still play games, but not sports games) I put hours into was Joe Montana's Sport Talk Football on the Genesis.  The play by play announcer was the pinnacle of technology to me in Jr high.

14 hours ago, chongli said:

Honestly, it's a video game, so I don't really care. Also, I may be old school, but back in my day, only kids played video games and watched cartoons. Sorry!

This is such a boring antiquated take

”Urrrr, back in my day ...”

It’s not your day anymore 😭 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

Partly because when you were growing up, the adults that were around hadn’t grown up playing video games. Adults of that time had different hobbies and the video games that game out were catered to kids. Nowadays, different genres of games are appealing to different ages (and some are appealing to all ages)

Born in 74, Atari, Coleco vision and Nintendo all came out less than 10 year apart and were main attractions.  They were my baby sitter.  If I wasn’t playing a sport, I would get home 2-3 hours before my parents, turn on the Atari and keep myself entertained til they got home.  At the age of 8+

I agree with your explanation. Definitely remember the days of the Atari 2600 n the 80's. Good times. Even better was the actual arcade experience. Ms. Pac-Man and Donkey Kong ruled back then.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought it for X Box Series S. 

I've always been a Playstation guy, but I've been waiting 3 years now for the ability to buy a PS5, and they're STILL not widely available, due to the chip shortage. So ridiculous.

I finally gave up and bought X Box Series S, which costs $200 less anyway. Sure, resolution is "only" 1080p instead of 4k, but I think I'll survive.

Won my first online matchup 24-21 in double overtime against the Ravens. Opponent marched the ball down the field with ease in overtime, but got cocky in the red zone. From four yards out, rather than run it, he dropped back to hit the same drag route he'd been spamming all game. I saw it coming, dropped Von Miller into coverage, picked it off in the end zone, and took it back 41 yards. Ran the ball seven straight times from there to get into field goal range. Nothing he could do about it. 

Allen is fun to use, as always. The passing game is way less overpowered than it was in previous years. Defense actually covers the receivers pretty tightly. You have to throw into much smaller windows, rather than guys being wide open. Certainly a learning curve. I was able to get the run game going pretty well, though. Moss and Singletary up the gut and Cook on pitches and stretch plays. 

First impressions overall? Player movement, offense, and defense are all more realistic on next gen. Obviously better graphics, but that's to be expected. The overall experience is still a little clunky and buggy, but it often is in the first few days after release. A patch or two should fix it. Still, it feels like an upgrade over Madden 22 on last gen consoles. I'm excited to play NCAA football for the first time in years, too. 

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I've always been a Playstation guy, but I've been waiting 3 years now for the ability to buy a PS5, and they're STILL not widely available, due to the chip shortage. So ridiculous.

I finally gave up and bout X Box Series S, which costs $200 less anyway. 

Won my first online matchup 24-21 in double overtime against the Ravens. Opponent marched the ball down the field with ease in overtime, but got cocky in the red zone. From four yards out, rather than run it, he dropped back to hit the same drag route he'd been spamming all game. I saw it coming, dropped Von Miller into coverage, picked it off in the end zone, and took it back 41 yards. Ran the ball seven straight times from there to get into field goal range. Nothing he could do about it. 

Allen is fun to use, as always. The passing game is way less overpowered than it was in previous years. Defense actually covers the receivers pretty tightly. You have to throw into much smaller windows, rather than guys being wide open. Certainly a learning curve. I was able to get the run game going pretty well, though. Moss and Singletary up the gut and Cook on pitches and stretch plays. 

First impressions overall? Player movement, offense, and defense are all more realistic on next gen. Obviously better graphics, but that's to be expected. The overall experience is still a little clunky and buggy, but it often is in the first few days after release. A few patches should fix it. Still, it feels like an upgrade over Madden 22 on last gen consoles. I'm excited to play NCAA football for the first time in years, too. 

Interesting, I appreciate that review. Do you play online or exhibition mode?

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

I finally gave up and bought X Box Series S, which costs $200 less anyway. Sure, resolution is "only" 1080p instead of 4k, but I think I'll survive.

First impressions overall? Player movement, offense, and defense are all more realistic on next gen. Obviously better graphics, but that's to be expected. The overall experience is still a little clunky and buggy, but it often is in the first few days after release. A patch or two should fix it. Still, it feels like an upgrade over Madden 22 on last gen consoles. I'm excited to play NCAA football for the first time in years, too. 

Damn. I've only ever played Playstation, just signed up to hopefully maybe get a notification to be able to buy a ps5. 

Should I just buy the new xbox?

49 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Interesting, I appreciate that review. Do you play online or exhibition mode?

I play exclusively online.

I lost interest in beating the computer some years ago. It's much more satisfying to me to beat a real person. Especially using the Bills exclusively, who most people online never use.

42 minutes ago, arcane said:

Damn. I've only ever played Playstation, just signed up to hopefully maybe get a notification to be able to buy a ps5. 

Should I just buy the new xbox?

I've been signed up for notifications for PS5 availability for months. Followed Twitter threads, applied for "invites" from Amazon and the Playstation store, the whole nine yards. I've literally owned every generation of Playstation up 'til now, and ONLY Playstation. I finally just got sick of waiting. I mean...THREE YEARS! Ridiculous. I wanted a next gen system, and I ultimately figured that owning something was better than owning nothing and continuing to wait around for Playstation 5.

I opted for the Series S because it's $200 cheaper than the Series X. For the level of gaming that I do (I'm not fanatical, I wouldn't consider myself a "gamer", I just like to play Madden online and an occasional racing or fighting game), I figured the lower picture resolution and lack of disc drive would be fine. I've enjoyed it so far. I don't miss having a disc drive. I just downloaded Madden straight from the X Box store. Took a few hours, and boom, there it was.

Edited by Logic

46 minutes ago, Logic said:

I play exclusively online.

I lost interest in beating the computer some years ago. It's much more satisfying to me to beat a real person. Especially using the Bills exclusively, who most people online never use.

I've been signed up for notifications for PS5 availability for months. Followed Twitter threads, applied for "invites" from Amazon and the Playstation store, the whole nine yards. I've literally owned every generation of Playstation up 'til now, and ONLY Playstation. I finally just got sick of waiting. I mean...THREE YEARS! Ridiculous. I wanted a next gen system, and I ultimately figured that owning something was better than owning nothing and continuing to wait around for Playstation 5.

I opted for the Series S because it's $200 cheaper than the Series X. For the level of gaming that I do (I'm not fanatical, I wouldn't consider myself a "gamer", I just like to play Madden online and an occasional racing or fighting game), I figured the lower picture resolution and lack of disc drive would be fine. I've enjoyed it so far. I don't miss having a disc drive. I just downloaded Madden straight from the X Box store. Took a few hours, and boom, there it was.

I'm glad it worked out for you!

I hate to say this now, but I stumbled into wario64 on Twitter, followed a link to a Playstation queue, and after some frozen web pages and a credit card decline...I think I have a successful ps5 order, with a confirmation number. I might have just gotten insanely lucky just now. 

They dropped Milano from 83 to 81. Also, Allen's Carrying rating is a paltry 57 so he fumbles all the time. The OL is weak too. Spencer Brown is an absolute turnstile (68). Bates is a liability too (71). Morse is only a 79 and Saffold dropped 82 --> 80. Dawkins is 83. Quessenberry is below average too (73).

Edited by GreggTX

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.