Will same sex marriage be codified in Congress?

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

But they are not allowed to love each other in the same manner as heterosexuals? 

Chef….none of this has anything to do with love. Just because your mother gave you an aspirin when you were sick, it didn’t cause you to call her ‘doctor’. 

13 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

So Jesus’s message of love everyone is a lie??  🤷🏻‍♂️

Correct.  This is my point of Christianity being stuck in the dark ages like Islam. 

Question.  Is this all because gays can or procreate?  

It believe it has something to do with procreation…

In the Bible, procreation is said to be a “gift” from God- something special for a man and a woman…I think thats part of why that particular relationship is elevated above all other relationships…Supposedly God commanded people to be “fruitful” and multiply…So, in a way, I suppose being gay would be seen as being disobedient to God’s command (according to the Bible)…

Edited by JaCrispy

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Chef….none of this has anything to do with love. Just because your mother gave you an aspirin when you were sick, it didn’t cause you to call her ‘doctor’. 

The union between two people has nothing to do with love??  

Just now, JaCrispy said:

It believe it has something to do with procreation…

In the Bible, procreation is said to be a “gift” from God- something special for a man and a woman…I think thats part of why that particular relationship is elevated above all other relationships…Supposedly God commanded people to be “fruitful” and multiply…So, in a way, I suppose being gay would be seen as being disobedient to God’s command…

So should the church have asked my wife and I if we were going to procreate and if  our answer was no (which was always the plan) should they have refused to conduct the ceremony?  

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Let’s not get off track here. We’re talking about the definition of ‘marriage’ not ‘love’….and you know it Counselor. 

Define marriage. 

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

So should the church have asked my wife and I if we were going to procreate and if  our answer was no (which was always the plan) should they have refused to conduct the ceremony?  

I don’t have an opinion on that one way or the other…I’m simply pointing out the basis and rationale for why some churches might not want to perform gay weddings…

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

It has for centuries been defined as the socially recognized and consecrated bond/commitment between a man and a woman. 

It is of course just a word….but words do have meaning. 

And why I say Christianity is sadly stuck in the Middle Ages.  You know things do change. 

36 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

So Jesus’s message of love everyone is a lie??  🤷🏻‍♂️

you’re asking the wrong person about messages and baby Jesus. But I do not object to other people believing what they want to in their own lives.  

There is also a difference between loving others and welcoming their way of life into their own religious group in opposition to their beliefs.  

I'm not religious AT all, and I’m positive not a religion out there would accept my views on their beliefs.

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

you’re asking the wrong person about messages and baby Jesus. But I do not object to other people believing what they want to in their own lives.  

There is also a difference between loving others and welcoming their way of life into their own religious group in opposition to their beliefs.  

I'm not religious AT all, and I’m positive not a religion out there would accept my views on their beliefs.

They are not welcoming them into their religious group.  This is marriage not baptism. 

22 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

And why I say Christianity is sadly stuck in the Middle Ages.  You know things do change. 

Chef…with all due respect…as a self described non-believer may I suggest you avoid your novice critique of a faith you couldn’t care less about. I’m not a Muslim but I make a concentrated effort not to step into their traditions. Again, respectfully. 

48 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

But they are not allowed to love each other in the same manner as heterosexuals? 

Of course they are "allowed to love each other."

That love, and the love that others have for them does not have to be validated by a religious ceremony.

The refusal to perform same sex marriages does not invalidate any love.

5 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Of course they are "allowed to love each other."

That love, and the love that others have for them does not have to be validated by a religious ceremony.

The refusal to perform same sex marriages does not invalidate any love.

So according to the church, their love is invalid?  

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You’re hung up on the word ‘love’. It is NOT the central principle of marriage. 

What is the central principle of marriage?  Why did you get married?  To have sex and not go to hell?

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Chef Jim said:

What is the central principle of marriage?  Why did you get married?  

Chef, may I respectfully suggest you seek out a local  pastor? They’ll be happy to explain all of this. You’re way way out of your core competency here. Financial planning…apparently yes. Christianity….not so much. 😉

36 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

So according to the church, their love is invalid?  

With respect, you aren't getting this.

Their love is not invalid. Loving is a requirement for fellowship with Christ, and it doesn't mandate who.

That, in no way, compels a faith to perform a marriage ceremony not in concert with their beliefs, derived from their interpretation of Scripture.

Either way, we are to love others.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, sherpa said:

With respect, you aren't getting this.

Their love is not invalid. Loving is a requirement for fellowship with Christ, and it doesn't mandate who.

That, in no way, compels a faith to perform a marriage ceremony not in concert with their beliefs, derived from their interpretation of Scripture.

Either way, we are to love others.

I understand but you do get my point how archaic the church’s beliefs are?  I guess as a non-believe I find it strange that people cling so tightly to what I consider a work of fiction. 

18 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Chef, may I respectfully suggest you seek out a local  pastor? They’ll be happy to explain all of this. You’re way way out of your core competency here. Financial planning…apparently yes. Christianity….not so much. 😉

Educate me man.  If not for love why did you get married?  

What is the core principle of marriage?

Edited by Chef Jim