Bills ranked dead last in YAC last season.

JerseyBills

I feel like I heard this "shocking" news 4 months ago. 

Camp starts this weekend, right?

Not a shot at you jersey.  Just the fact that people are using it as new news for the clicks. 

Edited by The Wiz
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, AmishRifle said:

I’ll be ecstatic if Ken Dorsey can attain Dabol’s production as OC.  The new OC is my biggest question mark for the season.  I fear that a YAC discussion is a bit premature at this point.

Absolutely.   Dorsey is the by far the biggest question mark going into 2022.   Frankly, I'm excited, because I expect he will be better than Daboll.  But he's the guy who's going to be the biggest reason from change, positive or negative.  

• Like (+1) 1

There's potential here. I think of one of the Gabe Davis catches on the final Chiefs drive. Crossing routes in the middle of the field that go for 10-20 yards after the catch. 

For those against it, how much has Tyreek Hill helped Mahomes over the years with YAC crossing routes? How about against the Bills in the playoffs the last 2 years? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Screens and short passes to running backs are best opportunities to get yards after catch.  Allen was one of the league leaders in air yards per completion.  That means he throws the ball downfield more than most QBs.   Singletary was far from the league leaders in targets.   That is, the Bills have a downfield passing attack, which reduces YAC opportunities.  

If the screen game improves, YAC will improve.  

I'm not worried. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

4 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

And yet the offense was not the reason they lost to KC.  Everyone settle the ***** down

Maybe we play KC at home if someone could catch the ball and not immediately fall down. 

Im being condescending, but notice how Mahomes, Rodgers and Burrow are on that list in the top 3 spots where our guy had no running game - either from a back or wr - unless the ball was in his hands. 

The fact Josh dealt with all that and still did everything in his power to be 13 seconds away from a likely Super Bowl appearance is a testament to him. 

• Like (+1) 4

16 minutes ago, SCBills said:

but notice how Mahomes, Rodgers and Burrow are on that list in the top 3 spots 

Notice how Mahomes threw a lot more passes to his running back, who averaged 9.6 yards per reception.  Notice how Burrows threw  more passes to his running back, who averaged 7.5 yards.  Rodgers, too.  Singletary had fewer receptions than either, and averaged 5.7 yards.   The Bills had an anemic passing game to the running backs, and that's where you get the YAC.  

That's why Cook was drafted.  

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:
I remember watching games and thinking our WRs seem to run routes not designed for much YAC. 

At the same time, this might be one of the most impressive stats for a top 3 offense , with a below average running game(minus Josh). You look at the top 4 teams in yac and all were elite offenses. 

If Allen can get more YAC , this offense would be borderline unstoppable.  

Just wanted to share because this is a rare feat for a top offense imo.

I guess we need to move away from consistently running timing routes and let give these guys more opportunities to get yards after the catch..What yall think?

Don't discount the impact that a frequently struggling OLine which can't execute a screen game can have on that particular statistic.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Maybe we play KC at home if someone could catch the ball and not immediately fall down. 

Im being condescending, but notice how Mahomes, Rodgers and Burrow are on that list in the top 3 spots where our guy had no running game - either from a back or wr - unless the ball was in his hands. 

The fact Josh dealt with all that and still did everything in his power to be 13 seconds away from a likely Super Bowl appearance is a testament to him. 

Josh said himself he wants to improve YAC. YAC is a combination of QB, personnel, and scheme. 

• Like (+1) 1

I read somewhere this summer that 17 doesn't like his YAC numbers and looks to improve them.. he wants to position his WR for YAC.

Can Jordan Palmer pull it off? Can he polish the formidable gem he created into a diamond?

Can 17 do it? Will he put down the wings and concentrate on improving his game? (by all media accounts, 17 has been fully invested in enjoying his summer)

2 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

kinda hinted at that but yes. Keeping gabe davis off the field didn’t help either. I know he’s proven more of a boundary guy/deep ball guy but i think he has some YAC in his game as well. Who knows maybe with the addition of Cook we’ll finally get some decent pass game out of the RBs as well.

Davis has been a pretty "meh" YAC guy in his first two seasons.

Their best chance at changing the YAC narrative is to stop spreading the field and start stretching it...........they don't have the guys with both speed AND quickness to be able to turn short passes into big gains..........teams figured that out last year and some of them were able to really shut the Bills offense down that way.

1 hour ago, ControllerOfPlanetX said:

Last in YAC, First in the AFC East.

Top 8 in the NFL isn't the goal though.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Uh, yes? That's literally why we drafted him. IMO the biggest problem with the Bills' YAC since Allen got here has been RBs. The way defenses play us should lead to easy opportunities underneath for our RBs, but Singletary and Moss accelerate like they're stuck in mud after catching the ball. Cook changes that entire dynamic. I won't be surprised if his contributions alone bring our YAC to middle of the pack.

If Cook proves he can burn teams running the ball he will be effective as a receiver...........if not........he's just a dime-a-dozen undersized receiving option.

Devin Singletary is a career 4.7 yard per carry RB..........fans hate the guy because he's not Alvin Kamara catching the football..........but Singletary has PRODUCED better than a whole lotta' brand names when he's handed the football.   

When you use a 2nd round pick on a RB he better kicka$$ on the ground.........but he's still gotta' prove that because he didn't carry the ball much in college.

There is a reason why an ACTUAL receiver turned RB like JD McKissic only got $3.5M per year..........the position isn't that valuable because it isn't that impactful.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, boater said:

I read somewhere this summer that 17 doesn't like his YAC numbers and looks to improve them.. he wants to position his WR for YAC.

Can Jordan Palmer pull it off? Can he polish the formidable gem he created into a diamond?

Can 17 do it? Will he put down the wings and concentrate on improving his game? (by all media accounts, 17 has been fully invested in enjoying his summer)

Throw WRs open instead of waiting for WRs to get open.

Timing and accuracy. We’ve seen Allen grow so much over the last 3 years. He anticipates throws better every season. Once he masters this he’ll be unstoppable. 

Your last comment is crazy, Allen has been working.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

33 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Devin Singletary is a career 4.7 yard per carry RB..........fans hate the guy because he's not Alvin Kamara catching the football..........but Singletary has PRODUCED better than a whole lotta' brand names when he's handed the football.   

You could put any dime a dozen RB into our offense and they'd have the same stat line. That's a function of how defenses align themselves to combat Josh Allen's right arm, not anything to do with Singletary's skill set. He's a fine NFL caliber player. But he has zero dynamic ability. That becomes more apparent as a check down option when more often than not he is stopped within a few yards of the catch point. Moss is even worse. When he catches the ball it takes him five years to turn around and start moving.

RB passing yardage has been a glaring gap in our passing production the past couple years, and I don't think it's talked about nearly enough. We have defenses begging us to take easy yards underneath but we haven't had a player capable of capitalizing on that. Now we've added a dynamic pass catching back with very little tread on the tires. I think Cook is the biggest addition made to the offense this offseason. If we still rank in the bottom 12 in YAC this year I'll admit I was wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

Allen is great at extending the play until the defensive backs can't maintain coverage, then hitting a guy 15 yards downfield. It gets the job done, but this style of throw is almost never a 'hit him in stride' kind of thing. Think of all the sideline throws just as Josh is about to step out of bounds, etc. It's kind of his bread and butter. 

11 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Call me crazy, I'm fine with zero YAC on a 40-50 air yards bomb or a 20-30 yard undefendable laser to the sideline, rather than having to depend on getting 8-10 YAC on a pass to the LoS just to rank higher in a largely meaningless metric.

I anticipate more YAC this year with having added a couple pass catching RBs and being a bit more slot heavy, but YAC specifically isn't really something we need to go out of our way to be desperate for.

With the way this team leads the league in scoring, you are absolutely right.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Correct me if i'm wrong (which you always do) but YAC yds are usually a big part of the QB's stats during the season & if Josh & the Bills offense has the lowest YAC yds isn't that saying we have one hell of a great QB ? 

As one person here said if he can get the WR's & RB's to get YAC yds this offense given the additions James Cook & Khalil Shakir (if he can get on the field) will be nearly unstoppable !!

It's going to be a great season for the Bills Mafia  !! GO BILLS !! 

The reason for adding a pass catching RB has nothing to do with improving a stat like YAC. It's simply a matter of having an answer to teams that were able to slow the Buffalo Bills down last year. Defenses were able to play 2 deep safeties and also limit the running game. Having some short passing options opens up the play book and will force defenses to choose. 1 deep safety or 2? Yes, the short passing game will improve YAC, but that is not the goal. The goal is to put pressure on the defense. I do believe the offense will continue to be the same dominant passing team, only now there will be more short passes mixed in to limit that 2 deep safety look that gave us problems last year.

11 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I know the Homers don’t want to see it, but there’s not a single “explosive” player on the O outside of Allen.  Diggs is a great player, but nobody worries about him burning them.  There’s nobody else on the team that can beat an average DB in a foot race.  The biggest reason I wanted a 1st rd WR was to add explosiveness to the playmaker group.  Right now, it’s not there.  

Knox is the best bet to add YAC, that’s not great.  Hopefully Cook brings some help in turning short throws to long gains again.  

As of Today the O goes as far as Allen takes it.

Sorry not every one agrees with you Crappers.  I rather be a Homer than a Crapper.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.