Bills ranked dead last in YAC last season.

JerseyBills

I remember watching games and thinking our WRs seem to run routes not designed for much YAC. 

At the same time, this might be one of the most impressive stats for a top 3 offense , with a below average running game(minus Josh). You look at the top 4 teams in yac and all were elite offenses. 

If Allen can get more YAC , this offense would be borderline unstoppable.  

Just wanted to share because this is a rare feat for a top offense imo.

I guess we need to move away from consistently running timing routes and let give these guys more opportunities to get yards after the catch..What yall think?

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I remember watching games and thinking our WRs seem to run routes not designed for much YAC. 

At the same time, this might be one of the most impressive stats for a top 3 offense , with a below average running game(minus Josh). You look at the top 4 teams in yac and all were elite offenses. 

If Allen can get more YAC , this offense would be borderline unstoppable.  

Just wanted to share because this is a rare feat for a top offense imo.

I guess we need to move away from consistently running timing routes and let give these guys more opportunities to get yards after the catch..What yall think?

that’s partially on Allen’s ball placement, partially on Daboll and partially on Beasley being hurt and crumpling to the ground every time he caught the ball.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 10

I know the Homers don’t want to see it, but there’s not a single “explosive” player on the O outside of Allen.  Diggs is a great player, but nobody worries about him burning them.  There’s nobody else on the team that can beat an average DB in a foot race.  The biggest reason I wanted a 1st rd WR was to add explosiveness to the playmaker group.  Right now, it’s not there.  

Knox is the best bet to add YAC, that’s not great.  Hopefully Cook brings some help in turning short throws to long gains again.  

As of Today the O goes as far as Allen takes it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Dislike 2

This is going to change this year, with a cook, Shakir, and Lil Dirty probably getting more involved in the passing game. 

Anytime I watch the chargers, I am

always amazed at how often a little 1-yard dump dump down by Herbert to Ekler is an easy 8-10 yards every time.  It would be great to get those easy yards all the time. 

• Agree 5

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Partially on not having great YAC receivers….

kinda hinted at that but yes. Keeping gabe davis off the field didn’t help either. I know he’s proven more of a boundary guy/deep ball guy but i think he has some YAC in his game as well. Who knows maybe with the addition of Cook we’ll finally get some decent pass game out of the RBs as well.

• Like (+1) 1

Call me crazy, I'm fine with zero YAC on a 40-50 air yards bomb or a 20-30 yard undefendable laser to the sideline, rather than having to depend on getting 8-10 YAC on a pass to the LoS just to rank higher in a largely meaningless metric.

I anticipate more YAC this year with having added a couple pass catching RBs and being a bit more slot heavy, but YAC specifically isn't really something we need to go out of our way to be desperate for.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 4

17 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Beasley was a shell of his former self and it was a testament to 17’s greatness that he managed to put up decent stats. 

in all honesty Beasley had a 70% catch rate coming in.

Beasley was known more for getting the 1st down and sitting down to live another play. 

that’s not saying he’s a kitty, less hits less injuries. 

As Josh was still learning 

in 2019 his YAC was 5.3, w/a 63% catch rate 

in 2020 his YAC was 4.4, w/a 76.6% catch rate 

in 2021 his YAC was 3.9, w/a 73.2% catch rate

while in Buffalo - YAC was going down. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

in all honesty Beasley had a 70% catch rate coming in.

Beasley was known more for getting the 1st down and sitting down to live another play. 

that’s not saying he’s a kitty, less hits less injuries. 

As Josh was still learning 

in 2019 his YAC was 5.3, w/a 63% catch rate 

in 2020 his YAC was 4.4, w/a 76.6% catch rate 

in 2021 his YAC was 3.9, w/a 73.2% catch rate

while in Buffalo - YAC was going down. 

At first when Beasley and Diggs would go down or out of bounds I was like "YOU COULD HAVE GOTTEN A COUPLE MORE YARDS", then after our offense solidified as a powerhouse I was like "Good, no need to take the hit when they can't stop us anyways.  Save it for the postseason".

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This stuff drives me crazy.   Bills were 9th in the league in passing yards per game.  If the Bills moved to the middle of the pack in the league in YAC, they'd have 25 yards more per game, and they would have been about 5th in the league in yards per game.   What's the big deal?   If the Bills get 25 more rushing yards per game, it's just as good if they get 25 yards more per game in YAC.   If the Bills give up 25 yards fewer per game, it's the same thing, sort of.  

The point is, there are dozens and dozens of statistical categories, and the Bills would be better if they get better in any of them.   

And, in case anyone is interested, the easiest way to get more YAC is in the screen and short passing game.  Hello, James Cook.  

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

This stuff drives me crazy.   Bills were 9th in the league in passing yards per game.  If the Bills moved to the middle of the pack in the league in YAC, they'd have 25 yards more per game, and they would have been about 5th in the league in yards per game.   What's the big deal?   If the Bills get 25 more rushing yards per game, it's just as good if they get 25 yards more per game in YAC.   If the Bills give up 25 yards fewer per game, it's the same thing, sort of.  

The point is, there are dozens and dozens of statistical categories, and the Bills would be better if they get better in any of them.   

And, in case anyone is interested, the easiest way to get more YAC is in the screen and short passing game.  Hello, James Cook.  

It’s a valid stat to point out.  

Yes, Allen can get better at short pass ball placement (which he’s working on).. 

However, it highlights - again - how Josh Allen dependent we were. 

Below average run game and dead last in YAC.  That’s asking your QB to do way too much. 

Cook & Shakir were two YAC monsters in college so let’s hope they translate.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Are people really expecting Cook to be the reason the YAC numbers go up?

Uh, yes? That's literally why we drafted him. IMO the biggest problem with the Bills' YAC since Allen got here has been RBs. The way defenses play us should lead to easy opportunities underneath for our RBs, but Singletary and Moss accelerate like they're stuck in mud after catching the ball. Cook changes that entire dynamic. I won't be surprised if his contributions alone bring our YAC to middle of the pack.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Are people really expecting Cook to be the reason the YAC numbers go up?… They need Crowder to get back to form…other than that they didn’t really do much to address the YAC issue.

Cook and Shakir were two YAC draft picks. 

Crowder and McKenzie give us more YAC ability than Beasley. 

More athletic line under Kromer likely lends itself to, at least attempting, more screen action. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.