Ranking Top 3 Bills quarterbacks between Post-Kelly Era and Josh Era

extrahammer

1. Doug Flutie (most success despite lack of FO support)

2. Drew Bledsoe (most accomplished, fun offenses)

3. Tyrod Taylor (stability, broke the drought)

4. Ryan Fitzpatrick (beat the Pats at home, fun all around dude)

5. Kevin Kolb (concussed in a preseason game, never came back, year later retired....wtf)

2 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

1. Doug Flutie (most success despite lack of FO support)

2. Drew Bledsoe (most accomplished, fun offenses)

3. Tyrod Taylor (stability, broke the drought)

4. Ryan Fitzpatrick (beat the Pats at home, fun all around dude)

5. Kevin Kolb (concussed in a preseason game, never came back, year later retired....wtf)

One has to wonder if we had kept Tarvaris Jackson a little longer. 

9 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

1. Bledsoe

2. Flutie

3. Taylor

4. Fitz

5. Orton

That is not the best QB play of the drought era. Why do so many people remember Bledsoe as “good?” 

23-25

59.1% completion

214.3 total ypg (passing and rushing)

59 total TDs

58 turnovers

140 sacks

Here is Tyrod for comparison (counting the game Rex lined him up a WR for the 1st play):

23-20

62.6% completion

238 total yards per game

65 total TDs

21 turnovers

124 sacks

Someone please tell me what it is that Bledsoe did better? Please don’t say “eye test” either because I’ll challenge it with “memory test.” He won less, was less efficient, scored less, turned it over WAY more and put up less yards. He’s literally worse across the board. I used Taylor because they have roughly the same amount of starts.

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That is not the best QB play of the drought era. Why do so many people remember Bledsoe as “good?” 

23-25

59.1% completion

59 total TDs

58 turnovers

140 sacks

Here is Tyrod for comparison (counting the game Rex lined him up a WR for the 1st play):

23-20

62.6% completion

238 total yards per game

65 total TDs

21 turnovers

124 sacks

Someone please tell me what it is that Bledsoe did better? Please don’t say “eye test” either because I’ll challenge it with “memory test.” He won less, was less efficient, scored less, turned it over WAY more and put up less yards. He’s literally worse across the board. I used Taylor because they have roughly the same amount of starts.

It's because of the first 8 games in 2002 when he had 16 TDs and 5 INTs a completion percentage in the mid 60s and 4 games over 100 passer rating. Sadly, that was the high point his play dropped off after that. 

On 7/19/2022 at 2:16 PM, StHustle said:

Fitz, Orton and Taylor. In no particular order. Could possibly swap out Orton for Bledsoe...I think I put Orton in there cause I didn't have high expectations for him and he fully surpassed what most fans expected. While Bledsoe overall was a huge disappointment.

I mistook this as a drought era QB thread…Post Kelly but Pre Josh…Flutie is clearly #1, Fitz #2 and Taylor #3 Bledsoe honorable mention 

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It's because of the first 8 games in 2002 when he had 16 TDs and 5 INTs a completion percentage in the mid 60s and 4 games over 100 passer rating. Sadly, that was the high point his play dropped off after that. 

Yep, that’s all people choose to remember. Those stats that I just posted INCLUDE that stretch (which was less than 17% of his starts). Earlier I posted just how dreadful he was in the other 40 starts. Bledsoe does not belong in the top 3 or in the conversation. I’m not sure that there is even a debate as to the top 3 (if you allow Flutie to be included in the drought era). It’s Flutie, Fitz and Tyrod in whichever order. 

56 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yep, that’s all people choose to remember. Those stats that I just posted INCLUDE that stretch (which was less than 17% of his starts). Earlier I posted just how dreadful he was in the other 40 starts. Bledsoe does not belong in the top 3 or in the conversation. I’m not sure that there is even a debate as to the top 3 (if you allow Flutie to be included in the drought era). It’s Flutie, Fitz and Tyrod in whichever order. 

I agree. More interesting / depressing is if you take Flutie out and go only drought era  then who gets the third spot? Is it the one year of Kyle Orton? How much better was his one year than Losman's full 2006 season? I know that Losman sucked other years but Orton might have too if he had played more than 12 games for us? I think that is the list isn't it? One of those two. 🤢

46 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree. More interesting / depressing is if you take Flutie out and go only drought era  then who gets the third spot? Is it the one year of Kyle Orton? How much better was his one year than Losman's full 2006 season? I know that Losman sucked other years but Orton might have too if he had played more than 12 games for us? I think that is the list isn't it? One of those two. 🤢

I had Orton next on my list earlier. He wasn’t here long but I tried to look at just their time in a Bills uniform. He would be 3 if you went just drought era instead of post-Kelly. 

1) Flutie  

2) Fitz - Which as far as fan favorite could easily be number 1 but i'm remarking on where they got the club .

3) Orton - For the S**T show he walked into he did the Bills right .

4) Tyrod 

5 Bledsoe - just for beating the Pats so bad !

I know it was the top 3 but i just couldn't stop . But i do know johnson would be my very last one on the list !! 

Drew Bledsoe, Doug Flutie, Ryan Fitzpatrick

Lot of love for Tyrod. He's probably 4th on the list for me, but that's still not saying much. His style of play was so frustrating to watch. He was always being praised by commentators for never turning the ball over.... because he wouldn't throw the ball unless the WR was wide open, sitting in their route, and jumping up and down!

Years of Tyrod Taylor prepared me wonderfully for the occasional bad pick arising from Josh's gunslinging. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Drew Bledsoe, Doug Flutie, Ryan Fitzpatrick

Lot of love for Tyrod. He's probably 4th on the list for me, but that's still not saying much. His style of play was so frustrating to watch. He was always being praised by commentators for never turning the ball over.... because he wouldn't throw the ball unless the WR was wide open, sitting in their route, and jumping up and down!

Years of Tyrod Taylor prepared me wonderfully for the occasional bad pick arising from Josh's gunslinging. 

So you preferred:

23-25

59.1% completion

59 total TDs

58 turnovers

140 sacks

to this:

23-20

62.6% completion

238 total yards per game

65 total TDs

21 turnovers

Help me understand what about the top was better than the bottom?

15 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

23-25

59.1% completion

59 total TDs

58 turnovers

140 sacks

23-20

62.6% completion

238 total yards per game

65 total TDs

21 turnovers

124 sacks

Just came across this thread and you nailed it. I remember being really excited about Bledsoe those first 8 games - and appalled at what followed. When he went to Dallas my Cowboy-fan friend was excited and I told him to expect an interception throwing tackle dummy. He had the arm, but nothing else IMO.

Edited by SinceThe70s

Just now, SinceThe70s said:

Just came across this thread and you nailed it. I remember being really excited about Bledsoe those first 8 games - and appalled at what followed. When he went to Dallas my Cowboy-fan friend was excited and I told him to expect an interception throwing tackle dummy. He had the arm, but nothing else IMO.

It really just blows my mind that so many people have him in their top 3. The guy had as many turnovers as TDs!! He set an NFL record (at the time) with 10 lost fumbles in a season. He lost more than he won despite talent around him. He was sacked 140 times in 4 years!! He only scored 59 TDs in 48 starts including the hot 8 game stretch. Outside of that he was accounting for less than a TD a game and more than 1 turnover per game. Just an awful football player.

People thinking that Bledsoe was good is probably my biggest Bills pet peeve. When you show the proof and ask them, “why” you always hear about his arm or those 8 games. The guy played 4 years and set the drought in motion. He was closer to Edwards than to Fitz/Tyrod.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.