Ranking Top 3 Bills quarterbacks between Post-Kelly Era and Josh Era

extrahammer

11 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Bledsoe, Flutie, Taylor.

Honorable Mentions: Fitz and Orton.

Dishonorable Mentions: Everyone else.

Bledsoe was awful outside an 8 game stretch. Not sure how people forget how often he got sacked, threw INTs and generally looked bad during his time here

41 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Flutie was a weak armed bum with “ small man syndrome “ on teams with great defenses and good rushing attacks. 
    The only Bills QB I remember who was better at chucking it into the turf short of his receivers due to lack of arm talent was old Vince Ferragamo. 
    Put wonder boy Dougie on the 2002 team and it’s a 4-12 season at best.

This is agenda driven selective memory. In fact, in flutie’s first year as a starter the offense was ranked higher than the defense. 

I’ve never understood why the people that don’t like him are so over the top about it. 

Was for sure a limited QB. He was also a gamer that won plenty of games and made plays. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

This is agenda driven selective memory. In fact, in flutie’s first year as a starter the offense was ranked higher than the defense. 

I’ve never understood why the people that don’t like him are so over the top about it. 

Was for sure a limited QB. He was also a gamer that won plenty of games and made plays. 

No agenda.

He made plays? Like throwing that pic in the EZ in the playoffs?

People claiming he was the best QB during the drought have memories that might need some reprisals 😉

While I’m no R Johnson fan, RJ walked off the field with the win in Tennessee. Not your boy Flutie.

I know Eman.  IDC what others think as Flutie was not primarily in the drought era as we made the TN game because of his wins.  If we remember accurately RJ was on his way to 0-3 when Flutie came in and rattled off a bunch of wins. RJ threw for what 160 yards in that TN game.  Wade was an idiot for not overseeing the ST and remaining I. Their lanes.

It doesn’t matter as we have Allen now so it’s a big who cares.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

No agenda.

He made plays? Like throwing that pic in the EZ in the playoffs?

People claiming he was the best QB during the drought have memories that might need some reprisals 😉

While I’m no R Johnson fan, RJ walked off the field with the win in Tennessee. Not your boy Flutie.

Geez man. What are we doing here? Johnson got sacked 6 times and took a safety. He went 10-22 for 130 yds and no scores.  He fumbled 3 freaking times and lost one…. Flutie was literally sacked 1/3 of the rate that Johnson was behind the same line during the time they were both in buffalo. 

If somebody is gonna use that sort of game for ammo against the other guy then it’s pretty evident there might be some clouded judgement. 

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

I know Eman.  IDC what others think as Flutie was not primarily in the drought era as we made the TN game because of his wins.  If we remember accurately RJ was on his way to 0-3 when Flutie came in and rattled off a bunch of wins. RJ threw for what 160 yards in that TN game.  Wade was an idiot for not overseeing the ST and remaining I. Their lanes.

It doesn’t matter as we have Allen now so it’s a big who cares.

It was actually only 130 yds and he got bagged 6 times.  One of which was a safety. THREE FUMBLES…. There was a point where Johnson at one time was the most sacked qb, per drop back, of all time while in buffalo. Yet the other qb took about 1/3 as many sacks.

i don’t get the Flutie hate. But the people that don’t like him, REALLY don’t like him and will warp reality to justify RJ in that game. 

and I agree that I don’t really consider Flutie one of the drought era guys even though technically he may have been there for a year or it

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Oh god. You’re one of THOSE people. Johnson got sacked 6 times and took a safety. He went 10-22 for 130 yds and no scores.  He fumbled 3 freaking times and lost one…. Flutie was literally sacked 1/3 of the rate that Johnson was behind the same line during the time they were both in buffalo. 

Flutie lovers always point to his leadership and his moxie and how he “ won games” for us because of it.

My primary point is he didn’t win the biggest game he played for us. As I stated , I’m not a RJ fan and freely admit that the D won that game but Johnson still walked off with the win. 
Dougie didn’t against Miami. Fact

My bigger point for bagging on him, ,in this discussion, is he couldn’t hold Bledsoes jock during DB’s first season as a Bill. If Bledsoe had the 1999 or 2000 D in his first year we are a playoff team. He was the best 1 year QB in the period under discussion. Flutie wasn’t.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Flutie lovers always point to his leadership and his moxie and how he “ won games” for us because of it.

My primary point is he didn’t win the biggest game he played for us. As I stated , I’m not a RJ fan and freely admit that the D won that game but Johnson still walked off with the win. 
Dougie didn’t against Miami. Fact

My bigger point for bagging on him, ,in this discussion, is he couldn’t hold Bledsoes jock during DB’s first season as a Bill. If Bledsoe had the 1999 or 2000 D in his first year we are a playoff team. He was the best 1 year QB in the period under discussion. Flutie wasn’t.

* the first 8 games of Bledsoe’s first season. After those 8 games he was 3-5, 9 total TDs, 14 turnovers and 24 sacks. He was not great his first year. He played a good 8 games. 

37 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

* the first 8 games of Bledsoe’s first season. After those 8 games he was 3-5, 9 total TDs, 14 turnovers and 24 sacks. He was not great his first year. He played a good 8 games. 

On a team that was playing the antipathy of complimentary football. He was forced to try to score always as the D made my grandmother’s sieve look restrictive.

Passing : 3rd in First downs. 5th in passing yards.

Rushing: 29th in attempts.  24th in yards.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

On a team that was playing the antipathy of complimentary football. He was forced to try to score always as the D made my grandmother’s sieve look restrictive.

Passing : 3rd in First downs. 5th in passing yards.

Rushing: 29th in attempts.  24th in yards.

Again, that factors in the whole year and he had elite receivers. The 2nd half of the year, he accounted for 9 TDs and 14 turnovers!! That’s TERRIBLE. Bledsoe is remembered so fondly (and wrongly) by Bills fans because of an 8 game stretch. When you remove those 8 games he was atrocious. 

If we are talking overall quality of QB play over multiple seasons:

Fitz - I think the best all-around QB the Bills had during the QB drought. 

Tyrod - yes, more successful than Fitz but just so frustratingly tentative with throwing the football that I could never give him the top spot.

Bledsoe - Had the arm, but that's about it. 

Followed by NOBODY.

For straight-up QB play, regardless of tenure:

Flutie - Short time, but arguably the most exciting player of the QB drought. A winner, if nothing else. 

Fitz

Orton

19 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

If you're referring to his Frankenstein monster like gait, you're correct. 😁

😃 In part, but after his initial 8 games, his performance dipped considerably. Yet, I do love your anology of old lead foot...LOL.

On 7/19/2022 at 10:03 AM, extrahammer said:

After reading through the Tyrod legacy thread (really makes you love the offseason) I woke up this morning wanting to fight by ranking the top 3 quarterbacks for the Bills between the Post-Kelly era and before Josh arrived. Curious how each of you would rank the Bills quarterbacks between 1997-2017, here are your options:

Todd Collins

Doug Flutie

Rob Johnson (pro tip: this is not the answer) 

Alex Van Pelt

Drew Bledsoe

J.P. Losman 

Kelly Holcomb

Trent Edwards

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Brian Brohm

E.J. Manuel

Thad Lewis

Jeff Tuel

Kyle Orton

Tyrod Taylor

Matt Cassel

Nathaniel Peterman

Who are your top 3? 

🖕

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 7/19/2022 at 10:20 AM, Draconator said:

Peterman. Everyone else is secondary.

Your killin me Smalls!

How is Tyrod even in this conversation. He did Nothing but pad his stats and make excuses.  Not saying he was a horrible human so let’s back off that approach but as a QB be sucked.  Flat out sucked. 

1. Bledsoe - for 1 year

2. Flutie

3. Fitz

Tyrod gave it his all but had Rex as his HC.

Losman threw a decent long ball that Evans could run down but he'd bounce a 10 yard pass

Orton dropped to a fetal position with 1 yard left to go on a 4th down late in a game

Edwards ran out of bounds for a loss rather than even throw the ball up in the final minute of a game on 4th and short ... cowards both

The rest teeter on the edge of bad, awful and comedic. Perhaps this is why we are blessed with Josh now, we paid our dues... It is time to win it all.

On 7/19/2022 at 10:03 AM, extrahammer said:

After reading through the Tyrod legacy thread (really makes you love the offseason) I woke up this morning wanting to fight by ranking the top 3 quarterbacks for the Bills between the Post-Kelly era and before Josh arrived. Curious how each of you would rank the Bills quarterbacks between 1997-2017, here are your options:

Todd Collins

Doug Flutie

Rob Johnson (pro tip: this is not the answer) 

Alex Van Pelt

Drew Bledsoe

J.P. Losman 

Kelly Holcomb

Trent Edwards

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Brian Brohm

E.J. Manuel

Thad Lewis

Jeff Tuel

Kyle Orton

Tyrod Taylor

Matt Cassel

Nathaniel Peterman

Who are your top 3? 

1) Tyrod

2) Fitzy

3) Bledsoe

3 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

1. Bledsoe - for 1 year

2. Flutie

3. Fitz

Tyrod gave it his all but had Rex as his HC.

Losman threw a decent long ball that Evans could run down but he'd bounce a 10 yard pass

Orton dropped to a fetal position with 1 yard left to go on a 4th down late in a game

Edwards ran out of bounds for a loss rather than even throw the ball up in the final minute of a game on 4th and short ... cowards both

The rest teeter on the edge of bad, awful and comedic. Perhaps this is why we are blessed with Josh now, we paid our dues... It is time to win it all.

How can you leave off the playoff drought breaking QB?

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.