Anyone home brew?

Max Fischer

This year I got into home brewing beer, which I find very relaxing. The first few beers have been (at best) average, but I find the learning process very satisfying and my appreciation for skilled brewmasters has grown exponentially. It's not a cheap hobby and its very tempting to try techniques beyond my ability but the endless available information provides confidence that you could unlock the secrets. I just wish I didn't take so long to take the plunge. 

• Like (+1) 1

I have a friend who is a master home brew maker. His name is Frank he is great guy retired US Navy, If you would like his contact info let me know and I will alert he to your interest.  Im sure he would be amenable to talk to you if you tell he you heard of him through me 🙂

You mr max have been officialy hooked up. This guy will know the answers to your brewing questions. He makes dozens of flavors Accomplished brewmaster guy. He will be in Spain for a month but before or after that  you guys should talk. Pick his brain.

1 hour ago, Max Fischer said:

This year I got into home brewing beer, which I find very relaxing. The first few beers have been (at best) average, but I find the learning process very satisfying and my appreciation for skilled brewmasters has grown exponentially. It's not a cheap hobby and its very tempting to try techniques beyond my ability but the endless available information provides confidence that you could unlock the secrets. I just wish I didn't take so long to take the plunge. 

I always wanted to try but never took the plunge.

Once you get it perfected, DM me and I will send you my address, you know to try a few. :) 

Started about 10 years ago.  Have not brewed much, but enjoy doing it.  Not every batch was delicious, but even the less tasty ones were really good and fresh.

Youtube has tons of videos for beginners.  Watch a few until you find someone who you like.  Start easy to get your process down: sanitizing, boiling, adding ingredients at the right time, storing and fermenting, bottling and enjoying!  The bucket kits most home brew stores sell are perfect for beginners.

It’s not a tough process but you need to get it down before you start more adventurous brews using grains and hops.  I started with a Coopers ale kit.  Basically a syrup you boil and bottle.  Added a little dextrose to boost alcohol content.  Turned out pretty good, smooth and drinkable.  Once you get the process down, you can move up to more adventurous recipes.  

Niagara Tradition Homebrew at Military and Sheridan in Tonawanda is a good place to start.  They have the bucket kits along with ingredients.  Guys are very helpful.  They have beginners kits, their own kits with all the ingredients needed, along with whatever ingredient you want to make the beer you desire.

https://nthomebrew.com/

I’m no expert, hope this helps.

The group that I hang out with used to go check out local breweries quite often. Then they shut everything down and I decided to give it a try. Like you said, there is a ton of info out there these days. 

I went right into all grain brewing and quickly was making beers that are as good as any brewery, and having a blast doing it. I recommend checking out the all in one systems like the grainfather, or anvil, or clawhammer. They make brew day so much easier. 

There are sites that sell really good kits online that are quite reasonably priced. I still use them, but mostly the local homebrew shop these days. 

No but my dumbass friend(re-evaluating friendship after their questionable decisions) found a big glass jug full of homemade root beer in a thruway rest stop parking lot on his way to Buffalo. Forgot it and left it in my kitchen. Well the next morning it exploded. Sounded like a bomb. He was mad when I called him back to clean it up because he wanted to drink it. Seriously finds stuff at rest stops and consumes it?

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

18 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

No but my dumbass friend(re-evaluating friendship after their questionable decisions) found a big glass jug full of homemade root beer in a thruway rest stop parking lot on his way to Buffalo. Forgot it and left it in my kitchen. Well the next morning it exploded. Sounded like a bomb. He was mad when I called him back to clean it up because he wanted to drink it. Seriously finds stuff at rest stops and consumes it?

I'm no Bill Nye ... but I don't think it's normal for root beer to explode.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.