Bill Polian “Bills are a dyed in the wool Super Bowl contender”

JohnNord

Polian’s rep took a serious hit based on his assessment of Lamar Jackson as a draft prospect but still a very strong take here so let’s hope he’s spot on.  

Also he used an old timey “dyed in the wool” phrase that I’ve never hear before.  It means genuine or uncompromising 

Edited by JohnNord
  • Like (+1) 1

• JohnNord changed the title to Bill Polian “Bills are a dyed in the wool Super Bowl contender”
1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

Polian’s rep took a serious hit based on his assessment of Lamar Jackson as a draft prospect but still a very strong take here so let’s hope he’s spot on.  

Also he used an old timey “dyed in the wool” phrase that I’ve never hear before.  It means genuine or uncompromising 

Thanks for finding this. I had never heard of the term "dyed in the wool".

“And injuries play a major role”. 

I think this is 💯 our biggest competition.  Certain guys have to stay healthy.  The same defense + tredavious shut down the chiefs offense in KC a few months prior.  Minus Tre, 🤮

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I think this is 💯 our biggest competition.  Certain guys have to stay healthy.  The same defense + tredavious shut down the chiefs offense in KC a few months prior.  Minus Tre, 🤮

Definitely need your our core guys to stay healthy. I think the reason for optimism on defense is they have added another elite difference maker in Von and we really saw Oliver emerge in that way down the stretch too so whereas 12 months ago I'd have said White was the only game changer on our defense I hope that we have other guys now who can make that play when we need it. 

• Agree 4

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Definitely need your our core guys to stay healthy. I think the reason for optimism on defense is they have added another elite difference maker in Von and we really saw Oliver emerge in that way down the stretch too so whereas 12 months ago I'd have said White was the only game changer on our defense I hope that we have other guys now who can make that play when we need it. 

Last year’s D line was a paper tiger.  The strength of the D was the secondary and LBs.  Jerry played ok and Rousseau held his own but as you state, there were no difference makers besides Oliver.  The complete reshuffle of that line shows me Beane “gets it” and saw the same thing.

It won’t surprise me one bit if the Bills’ D this year is just plain nasty.  My one and only concern is how quickly Tre returns and whether there is an adequate plan until that happens (which is why I’m hoping Haden is a possibility).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, JohnNord said:

7 hours ago, chongli said:

You guys are making me feel old.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, chongli said:

What does the phrase dyed in the wool mean?

dyed-in-the-wool. COMMON You use dyed-in-the-wool to describe a supporter of a particular set of beliefs or a member of a particular group, meaning that their beliefs or feelings are very strong and will never change. 

2 hours ago, 17islongenough said:

These kids and their new slang

First Known Use of dyed-in-the-wool, 1580.

Even Polian's grandfather was not a kid then.

Edited by Limeaid
typo in original quote. The editor role has almost disappeared these days.
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, NewEra said:

This is why I'd still like to add a veteran cb over the summer. We can't be one injury away from disaster.

people who use the term, "dyed in the wool" are the same people who use the word, "dunce" as an insult.

and did they stalk that mother ***** in front of a barnes and noble?

Edited by teef

4 minutes ago, teef said:

people who use the term, "dyed in the wool" are the same people who use the word, "dunce" as an insult.

Am I OK if I don’t actually use the word, but just hand out the caps? 

• Haha (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Imo, this is incorrect use of "dyed on the wool" phrase. The phrase is typically used to describe a person and group and his/her/their beliefs. as an example, Mitch McConnell is a dyed in the wool conservative Republican politician. 

I am surprised that people dont know this phrase. The other day, someone thought my use of the word "niggling" is racist when the word has nothing to do with race. 

What the heck are school kids learning in English classes today? 

How old are you? 😀

The hype is real and at a level not seen nationally in nearly 30 years in Buffalo.

Just hope this team can turn out all the noise and focus on the task at hand or all the ingredients are there for a very disappointing season especially if this team were to get hit hard by the injury bug like Baltimore last year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.