Tyrod's legacy?

He's a genuinely good dude, and by all accounts a great teammate, but his limitations are evident. Trouble reading defenses, especially over the middle of the field. He didn't trust what he saw and throw the ball to open windows where his guys could go get it. This caused him to hold onto the ball too long and the windows would close. He was champion of the check down, numerous times throwing the ball short to gain meaningless yards on 3rd downs. He also didn't quite understand ball placement on certain routes or in certain situations during the game. The Playoff game against Jacksonville was prime example of this. Every now and again he would throw a beautiful deep pass, but he still wasn't consistent enough to be starting caliber. I liked Tyrod and hold no ill will towards him. He was the QB of the team that ended the drought. Kudos for him to be able to hang onto a job and do as well as he has in this league for all of these years. 

• Like (+1) 2

Tyrod in simple terms elevated the expectations of QB play and was fine. After years and years of porus QBing since Bledsoe when he became QB the offense at least moved and could do some things. They had a good identity as a running team as he could move well too and as a passer he was decent not great but protected the ball. He was almost that necessary next step to say "ok we cannot have QB play worse then this when we draft a rookie".

On a more complex take Tyrod was let down by coaching his first two years (Rex) which may have ruined any chance for his long term future. I have said routinely on here until the 2020 Bills the most talented roster the team has had since 99 was the 2015 group. The offense was very dynamic and just needed the defense to do its job forget even being good. Instead they were a wreck due to Rex and I believe that led to Tyrod being more conservatives as a result. He never was going to see the field the way you wanted and I do think internally he was more conservative as a thrower. But the teams were so porus on D in 15-16 that he had very very little wiggle room if they turned it over. 2017 was the inverse as the offense was much weaker but the defense thanks to coaching and young talent did make some stops.

I do also think skin color played a role in some fans eyes unfortunately with what Tyrod did. Fitz is adored by fans but realistically he wasn't that good nor was the team.  Tyrod's offenses ranked far better in his time in Buffalo, they made the playoffs, and he was 23-20 as a starter. Yet of the two people talk farrr more kindly and appreciative of the guy whose best season with the Bills the team went 6-10 and he threw 23 INTs. I have seen some garbage spewed about Taylor that are the typical stereotypes thrown at African American Qb's which were not remotely true. 

So in a more complex view Tyrod is maybe the most underappreciated misunderstood QB of the Bills while being limited in certain ways as a QB. To me the dude was a standup individual who loved his time in Buffalo and was a very good serviceable QB responsible for breaking the drought.

• Like (+1) 1

Tyrod was a good teammate and good person.  He was an average QB for an average team.

Tyrod's biggest issue was that he lacked the killer instinct that great QBs posses.  It seemed that his fear of making a mistake outweighed his desire to win.  There were many times that I found myself yelling at the TV after he ran out of bounds short of the first down marker or checked down too short on a third down play.  I was not the least bit sad to see the team move on from Tyrod.  He is not the type of QB that will ever lead an NFL team to a championship.

56 minutes ago, H2o said:

He's a genuinely good dude, and by all accounts a great teammate, but his limitations are evident. Trouble reading defenses, especially over the middle of the field. He didn't trust what he saw and throw the ball to open windows where his guys could go get it. This caused him to hold onto the ball too long and the windows would close. He was champion of the check down, numerous times throwing the ball short to gain meaningless yards on 3rd downs. He also didn't quite understand ball placement on certain routes or in certain situations during the game. The Playoff game against Jacksonville was prime example of this. Every now and again he would throw a beautiful deep pass, but he still wasn't consistent enough to be starting caliber. I liked Tyrod and hold no ill will towards him. He was the QB of the team that ended the drought. Kudos for him to be able to hang onto a job and do as well as he has in this league for all of these years. 

This is a good synopsis. The playoff game was his end all as that game was there for the taking and his limitations came to the forefront big time there.

I really do hope though when the day comes that they honor the 17 team for ending the drought he is warmly embraced by Bills fans in larger way because he was a real bright spot during the chaotic Rex/Whaley time.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, corta765 said:

I do also think skin color played a role in some fans eyes unfortunately with what Tyrod did. Fitz is adored by fans but realistically he wasn't that good nor was the team.  Tyrod's offenses ranked far better in his time in Buffalo, they made the playoffs, and he was 23-20 as a starter. Yet of the two people talk farrr more kindly and appreciative of the guy whose best season with the Bills the team went 6-10 and he threw 23 INTs. I have seen some garbage spewed about Taylor that are the typical stereotypes thrown at African American Qb's which were not remotely true. 

So in a more complex view Tyrod is maybe the most underappreciated misunderstood QB of the Bills while being limited in certain ways as a QB. To me the dude was a standup individual who loved his time in Buffalo and was a very good serviceable QB responsible for breaking the drought.

Fitz is adored for his unquestionable competitiveness and toughness.  If you were going to lose a game with Fitz at the helm, it would likely end with a hail mary interception.  As frustrating as that was, people admired the fact that he left it all on the field.

I remember Tyrod as a player that was not going to take the big risks if it meant throwing an interception or taking a big hit along the sideline.  If the team was down 14 with 10 minutes left, I never had the feeling that Tyrod was going to pull off the comeback.  This strategy has served him well as he has put up respectable stats and stuck around the league for many years.  

Tyrod was once again and still is a victim of circumstances i think he was a Bills type player all abut team & left it all on the field but due to coaching & the unknown direction of the team at that time he was destined to be just another player that gave his all in futility for the Bills .

Since he has left it's been the same for him he never seems to catch a break but a really good player that i will always think highly of no matter what team he plays for & would thank him for what he gave to the Bills while here !! 

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Gugny said:

He was effin' horrible.  The only thing he was good at was padding his stats.  Pure crap.

I’m with Gug, he was pure trash. 

I really wanted him to be good and hoped he would be. Thought he would be the starter before he was. He just wasn’t good though. Way too hesitant. He played not to lose. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Fitz is adored for his unquestionable competitiveness and toughness.  If you were going to lose a game with Fitz at the helm, it would likely end with a hail mary interception.  As frustrating as that was, people admired the fact that he left it all on the field.

I remember Tyrod as a player that was not going to take the big risks if it meant throwing an interception or taking a big hit along the sideline.  If the team was down 14 with 10 minutes left, I never had the feeling that Tyrod was going to pull off the comeback.  This strategy has served him well as he has put up respectable stats and stuck around the league for many years.  

I don't disagree with that for the most part, but some of that was coaching also. Rex's entire strategy was run the ball and control the clock. I don't think if Tyrod was told to rip it he would go off in a super big way as he was limited (field vision especially), but I think he probably is more aggressive then shown. It is funny people rip Ty for comebacks though because he actually has a some across all three seasons. I do agree though Fitz was a far more dramatic style to watch for better or many times worse lol.

I know nobody wants to admit it, but Tyrod = Fitz. They are two sides of the same drought coin. Different styles under different offenses. The only things they have in common is being genuinely good guys, and not having the tools needed on the roster to be successful. Other than that, it's a pick your poison scenario. Do you want a great team guy who will not lose you the game but end up doing it circuitously, or the gunslinger who will lose your comeback with a 4th quarter interception? You don't have to hate one and love the other.

But you do. I'm disappointed. What would grandma say? Tisk tisk.  

His legacy is as one of the most underrated and disrespected Bills players in recent memory. IMO he was the best QB of the drought era and it’s not close. He put up similar yards and TDs (on a per game basis) to Bledsoe and Fitz except he took wayyyyyy better care of the football and was a legit dual threat QB. During his time with the Bills (2015-2017), he was second only to Cam Newton in both rushing yards AND rushing touchdowns by a QB.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Bledsoe was garbage for most of his career here….absolute trash…. I’m still shocked when people think Bledsoe was better than Tyrod was here…. Ain’t even close in my opinion.

Bledsoe's first half-season was really good.    

1 hour ago, benderbender said:

I know nobody wants to admit it, but Tyrod = Fitz. They are two sides of the same drought coin. Different styles under different offenses. The only things they have in common is being genuinely good guys, and not having the tools needed on the roster to be successful. Other than that, it's a pick your poison scenario. Do you want a great team guy who will not lose you the game but end up doing it circuitously, or the gunslinger who will lose your comeback with a 4th quarter interception? You don't have to hate one and love the other.

But you do. I'm disappointed. What would grandma say? Tisk tisk.  

That is a slight to Tyrod. Fitz was a loose cannon with the ball and his teams couldn't break 6-10. Tyrod was 23-20 and a true dual threat with his running ability. They both had limitations in different ways that held their ceiling so in that regard yes, but Tyrod was a better weapon which allowed for a far better offense then Fitz ever could run.

18 hours ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

So on the Bills Mafia Facebook page somebody posted a recent pic of themselves with Tyrod Taylor.  I commented on how I appreciated his time here, wished him the best and was thankful he was a part of the end of the drought.  Immediately some one commented “you mean Andy Dalton”.  This turned into a back and forth where the other Bills fan went on to say how Tyrod was never clutch and proceeded to trash him.  In fact I was surprised by the amount of negative comments toward him from other posters (probably 60/40 good comments but still a lot of negativity) and it got me to thinking what is Tyrod’s legacy here in Buffalo?

Obviously, he is no Jim Kelly, Jack Kemp or even Joe Ferguson and most recently the savior Josh.  But to think of him as a bad player or to lump him with the likes Trent Edwards, EJ Manuel and Todd Collins seems ridiculous too me.  So what group would you include him in, again based on legacy?  He only spent three years here throwing 51 touchdowns and 16 interceptions.  Compare that to Drew Bledsoe’s 55 and 43 also in a 3 year span or Fitz’s 80 and 64 in 4 years and he really isn’t all that far behind.  In fact way behind on interceptions (as maddening as the checkdowns could be)

But how would we compare him to those two as a Buffalo Bill?  We all LOVE Fitz, his personality and how he’s stood by Buffalo.  Bledsoe had one fantastic and fun year here before fizzling out fast.  Is there a better QB to compare him too statistically and success wise over a comprable span with the Bills?

Tyrod was a gutsy player that, like so many others during and before the drought had NOTHING around him.  I remember a specific 3rd and 27 type play against the Titans where he ran for the first down before being horse collard into an injury at the plays end.  Dude gave it his all.  Is it fair to say his legacy is equal to Fitz when you consider the teams oh so modest success in his last year?

Im interested in what others might think.  How you will remember him and his tenure as a Bills quarterback ?

With all that said thankfully those days are all behind us now.  We have a stud  QB and Super Bowl aspirations.  However I’ve always been a Bills fan and I remember Tyrod’s time here fondly in context.  Maybe I’m way off?  Does the recent success distort the memories of those darker times?  Do you have any particulallry good or bad Tyrod Buffalo Bill memories?   Go Bills!

He was honestly just another guy on a very long list of QB's that came through here from 2000 - 2017.

Not among the most terrible of the lot, but I think some fans give him too much credit just because he's associated with the team that broke the drought in 2017 (which yes like some fans still point out had a lot more to do with Andy Dalton than McD and that team).

In the end though it's proven that Tyrod is another glorified backup who has proven he's not up to snuff as a full time NFL starter.

The slightly darker, less good Alex Smith. Won’t lose games for you, rarely was the reason you won them. I wasn’t a fan of him here because I wanted better and he felt like settling. But he was a good solid player who’s had a great career as NFL qb that most people didn’t think he would have. Respect the man for helping end the drought and I’m glad he’s made the money he has.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, corta765 said:

The difference between fans views of Fitzpatrick & Taylor has nothing to do with race-It's all about personalities, on & off the field.

Fitzpatrick on the field was a gunslinger.  His talents didn't always match his bravado, hence "Fitzmagic" and "Fitztragic".  Off the field Fitzpatrick is very outgoing with a great sense of humor and a dynamic personality.  That's why as soon as he retired he was signed to be part of the Thursday broadcasts.  

Taylor is reserved, both on and off the field.  On the field he was very conservative, rarely taking chances.  Off the field, Taylor is a pretty quiet guy who quite frankly, comes off as rather bland.  Nobody is going to be knocking down his door for a high profile network job.    

2 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The difference between fans views of Fitzpatrick & Taylor has nothing to do with race-It's all about personalities, on & off the field.

Fitzpatrick on the field was a gunslinger.  His talents didn't always match his bravado, hence "Fitzmagic" and "Fitztragic".  Off the field Fitzpatrick is very outgoing with a great sense of humor and a dynamic personality.  That's why as soon as he retired he was signed to be part of the Thursday broadcasts.  

Taylor is reserved, both on and off the field.  On the field he was very conservative, rarely taking chances.  Off the field, Taylor is a pretty quiet guy who quite frankly, comes off as rather bland.  Nobody is going to be knocking down his door for a high profile network job.    

Sorry but I 100% heard in person from Bills fans and have read online that made judgements that were race related in how they perceived Tyrod vs actual performance. This was not a one time occurrence either unfortunately. It is part of why I think some fans discount Taylor for breaking the drought and bring up Dalton. Again not all by any means, but there are some and they made their voice known.

As for the differences in the players personalities 100% accurate. I mean heck Fitz was at the playoff game with the fans, to fans he is one of us and its awesome. Tyrod was a consummate professional but reserved and quiet which is fine too. I did like that in 2016 he took at the page in the Buffalo News on what it meant to him to be the starting QB, he def cared just not as raw raw.

3 hours ago, corta765 said:

That is a slight to Tyrod. Fitz was a loose cannon with the ball and his teams couldn't break 6-10. Tyrod was 23-20 and a true dual threat with his running ability. They both had limitations in different ways that held their ceiling so in that regard yes, but Tyrod was a better weapon which allowed for a far better offense then Fitz ever could run.

I don't see how you could call him a true dual threat.  He wasn't a threat in the passing game because of his limitations.  

Josh Allen is a true dual threat.  If you keep him in the pocket, he can shred you.  If you allow him to scramble, he can kill you.

Tyrod if you kept him in the pocket, he wasn't very effective.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't see how you could call him a true dual threat.  He wasn't a threat in the passing game because of his limitations.  

Josh Allen is a true dual threat.  If you keep him in the pocket, he can shred you.  If you allow him to scramble, he can kill you.

Tyrod if you kept him in the pocket, he wasn't very effective.  

He was second to Cam Newton in that period for rushing yds and tds. His first two season as starter he threw for 6000 yds and 37 Tds. He was a legit dual threat and pretty good weapon. As a passing Qb he was serviceable to at points pretty good for what was asked.

Comparing anyone to Josh is stupid, he is already on a pace to be the best dual threat QB ever and his broken records yearly because of it. Josh replaced Tyrod because his ceiling was maybe 11 wins and a playoff win, the Bills smartly went for better but it didn't make Tyrod atrocious either.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.