Tyrod's legacy?

In terms of style, Tyrod was trent edwards with speed and agility. Neither one would throw the ball. 

Biggest difference is Tyrod could make explosive plays at times with his legs, whereas trent would throw the ball away on 4th down and shuffle off to the sidelines all giddy and without a care in the world. 

Tyrod had a great attitude and was a grinder. He's just not very good at being an NFL QB, which is why he has never really caught on before or after. Looks the exact same way now as he did then: some big runs, a "gamer" and a total lack of passing prowess. 

Tyrod happened to be the QB when Andy Dalton got the Bills to the playoffs. Look at our wildcard game against Doug Marrone and the Jaguars. Just pathetic. Calling him the "guy who broke the drought" is a little silly to me, but I get the argument I guess. 

BTW, Rex Ryan came very close to doing that as coach, with Tyrod as his QB. That would likely have meant no McDermott, no Allen, crazy the butterfly effect it would have had, even if Rex only kept the job an extra year or two. 

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

BTW, Rex Ryan came very close to doing that as coach, with Tyrod as his QB. That would likely have meant no McDermott, no Allen, crazy the butterfly effect it would have had, even if Rex only kept the job an extra year or two. 

I threw that out to my buddies that had Rex won week 16 vs MIA in 16 and won 17 I believe the Bills would've made the playoffs. Yikes!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, corta765 said:

I threw that out to my buddies that had Rex won week 16 vs MIA in 16 and won 17 I believe the Bills would've made the playoffs. Yikes!

Yup, which buys him an extra year above what he got at least, and McDermott enters the coaching pool as a fairly sought after guy and ends up somewhere else. Our record doesn't allow us to get Allen, and Beane is never the GM, since he came with McDermott basically. 

IMO we would have been the Texans or Alex Smith Chiefs playoff teams: decent record teams with zero chance of going anywhere. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, corta765 said:

He was second to Cam Newton in that period for rushing yds and tds. His first two season as starter he threw for 6000 yds and 37 Tds. He was a legit dual threat and pretty good weapon. As a passing Qb he was serviceable to at points pretty good for what was asked.

Comparing anyone to Josh is stupid, he is already on a pace to be the best dual threat QB ever and his broken records yearly because of it. Josh replaced Tyrod because his ceiling was maybe 11 wins and a playoff win, the Bills smartly went for better but it didn't make Tyrod atrocious either.

Tyrod was never close to an 11 win QB.  His best record as a starter was in 2017 when the Bills won 8 of his 14 starts.  His celing is 2 games above .500 and he's only hit it once in his career.  Also the playoff game, his last game as a Bill, was pretty bad.  His career record in all games started is 26-26-1.  Pretty much sums up what he is.

For the amount of talent he has, Tyrod has exceeded all expectations.  As a 6th round pick he had about a 10% chance at a long term NFL career. He's lasted 12 years counting this upcoming season.  He's a decent backup QB, who won't lose you a game by himself like some of the guys we've had (Peterman, Fromm being the latest duds) and the coaches & players must like him for him to last as long in the NFL.  Also he's made millions & should be set for life, not as good as the most famous 6th round QB, but overall, a pretty good career for a 6th round pick.  

11 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I've always thought that if Rex had remained, the Bills would have drafted Watson.  Best case scenario would be that we'd have all those picks Cleveland sent Houston & after a few good seasons early on with Watson, we'd currently be back in QB hell.

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Bledsoe was garbage for most of his career here….absolute trash…. I’m still shocked when people think Bledsoe was better than Tyrod was here…. Ain’t even close in my opinion.

I’m 100% with you here Scott. Bledsoe is THE most overrated player that the Bills have ever had. He wasn’t even okay. He played 8 good games and then was a nightmare. More turnovers than TDs, 110 sacks in 40 games, 57% completion and an 18-22 record with that talent. Just disgusting

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Starr Almighty said:

I agree with this. While I have your attention what do you think Sam Adams legacy as a Bill should be?

Why stop there? What about Nathan Peterman? Or Trent Edwards? Let’s clog the front page up and start a legacy thread for all of ‘em

Edited by JoPoy88

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

Why stop there? What about Nathan Peterman? Or Trent Edwards? Let’s clog the front page up and start a legacy thread for all of ‘em

Welp.  Three guys don't like a thread that is over 5 pages.  Better shut it down mods.

I'll never understand people taking shots at threads they're not into.  Why not just move on?  

3 hours ago, Starr Almighty said:

I agree with this. While I have your attention what do you think Sam Adams legacy as a Bill should be?

Yet you read 16 posts before you came to someone who you agreed with on this, odd.  Why dive that deep if its something your not intersted in?

• Eyeroll 1

6 hours ago, corta765 said:

He was second to Cam Newton in that period for rushing yds and tds. His first two season as starter he threw for 6000 yds and 37 Tds. He was a legit dual threat and pretty good weapon. As a passing Qb he was serviceable to at points pretty good for what was asked.

Comparing anyone to Josh is stupid, he is already on a pace to be the best dual threat QB ever and his broken records yearly because of it. Josh replaced Tyrod because his ceiling was maybe 11 wins and a playoff win, the Bills smartly went for better but it didn't make Tyrod atrocious either.

I don’t think a 3,000 season average and 18 passing TD’s average is something special.  There’s a reason why he’s been a back up or lost his starting job multiple times.

He’s not a true dual threat where when you shut one dimension down, he struggles.  when he’s kept in the pocket, he’s a below average QB. Making the high percentage safe throw the majority of the time is the reason he didn’t throw picks…that’s not that impressive.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

Welp.  Three guys don't like a thread that is over 5 pages.  Better shut it down mods.

I'll never understand people taking shots at threads they're not into.  Why not just move on?  

Yet you read 16 posts before you came to someone who you agreed with on this, odd.  Why dive that deep if its something your not intersted in?

You Dont Get It Over Your Head GIF

If I had an issue with it why would I say ask about Adams. That time of the month?

Edited by Starr Almighty
  • Haha (+1) 1

There is an odd take out there about how Tyrod led the best Bills offense of the 2010s during Rex’s two years and never turned the ball over, so therefore he should be appreciated.  It’s ridiculous.  I think that particular offense was run-centric (Greg Roman) and didn’t ask Tyrod to do very much.  When he was asked to step up, he rarely delivered.  Somebody said his YPA was 8.0 in 2015…yippee.  That usually happens when run-happy teams pass the ball, because they’re not playing the possession passing game.  And oh-by-the-way, once Roman was canned two games into the 2016 season Tyrod’s YPA that season and the next dropped to 6.9 and 6.7.  I remember two games in which Tyrod looked the part of an NFL starter, both in 2016 — at Seattle and vs. Miami in December — and the Bills still lost both of those.  In 2017 his stats were eerily similar to 2016…the difference in the Bills finally making the playoffs was better defensive play and some good luck.  Much is made about the Bills’ point differential in 2017, but that can almost entirely be attributed to the horrendous 3-week stretch in which they gave up 135 points to the Jets, Saints, and Chargers. In their other 14 games they gave up more than 20 pts only three times (twice to the Pats***).

Somebody suggested that if we only appreciate Tyrod for being the drought-ending QB we’re just stupid homers who enjoyed being on social media when the Bills finally made the playoffs.  I’m still trying to figure that one out.

Tyrod is by all accounts a heluva guy and great teammate, and he deserves recognition for carving out a great living for himself as an NFL football player.

He’s not a great QB, never was, and his three years in Buffalo were nothing special, although they did provide some lasting memories.

• Like (+1) 1

I read through all the pages and to be honest I have not seen anything different from when the topic of Tyrod was beaten to death around the last year he played for the Bills.

Feels like you just necroed one of the buried existing topics with no actual reason like maybe some new news worthy information to justify talking about him again. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, eball said:

There is an odd take out there about how Tyrod led the best Bills offense of the 2010s during Rex’s two years and never turned the ball over, so therefore he should be appreciated.  It’s ridiculous.  I think that particular offense was run-centric (Greg Roman) and didn’t ask Tyrod to do very much.  When he was asked to step up, he rarely delivered.  Somebody said his YPA was 8.0 in 2015…yippee.  That usually happens when run-happy teams pass the ball, because they’re not playing the possession passing game.  And oh-by-the-way, once Roman was canned two games into the 2016 season Tyrod’s YPA that season and the next dropped to 6.9 and 6.7.  I remember two games in which Tyrod looked the part of an NFL starter, both in 2016 — at Seattle and vs. Miami in December — and the Bills still lost both of those.  In 2017 his stats were eerily similar to 2016…the difference in the Bills finally making the playoffs was better defensive play and some good luck.  Much is made about the Bills’ point differential in 2017, but that can almost entirely be attributed to the horrendous 3-week stretch in which they gave up 135 points to the Jets, Saints, and Chargers. In their other 14 games they gave up more than 20 pts only three times (twice to the Pats***).

Somebody suggested that if we only appreciate Tyrod for being the drought-ending QB we’re just stupid homers who enjoyed being on social media when the Bills finally made the playoffs.  I’m still trying to figure that one out.

Tyrod is by all accounts a heluva guy and great teammate, and he deserves recognition for carving out a great living for himself as an NFL football player.

He’s not a great QB, never was, and his three years in Buffalo were nothing special, although they did provide some lasting memories.

To me he at least raised expectations for QB play as it was reallyyy bad for a while there. The offense had some rhythm because he could run the ball which did well with Shady and make the simple passes asked. The Jaguars game though pretty much said all you needed to know though about him as a QB and I got really mad when people criticized the Bills for moving on after 2017 as if we should be happy with serviceable QB play. Someone said a lesser Alex Smith and I think that was a pretty spot on comparison. With him as QB you can prob win 10 games in a good year with some pieces around him and a decent D, but you aren't going further. For a team with a 17 year playoff drought that had some ghastly bad seasons of QB and offensive play, this was an upgrade to what we had seen. To the Bills credit they held themselves to a higher standard for what was truly needed at QB and went all out for a rookie QB in the 2018 draft.

I had already forgotten about him before this thread.

He was always a backup. The only reason we think of him as a fringe starter is because we are comparing him the the Legion of Suck at QB that we had since JK. 

Class act, team player, blah blah blah THROW THE F’N BALL TYROD

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.