Tyrod's legacy?

Tyrod was a glimmer of hope maybe for a while until his limitations began to show. He was a true professional and

teammate. I don’t really have anything bad to say. I myself just kept waiting and waiting to see more from him and it never materialized. 

Ultimately I think Legacy wise he will just kind of be forgotten as a side note. Not that there is anything wrong with that but For my age it’s been Jim Kelly, Josh Allen and everything in between. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Taylor wasn't a good quarterback.......there is a lot that goes into being that and he didn't have all the traits.

But he was the best combination of offensive player/durability that they had at the QB position in the time between Jim Kelly and Josh Allen.

Taylor produced, he made some great plays in the air and on the ground........ he averaged 8.0 yards per attempt in his first year with Buffalo(contrary to the "dink and dunk" narrative.........and his 2015-2016 offenses put up points whether his receivers were available or whether his OC could draw up a passing game or not........oh...and he didn't turn the ball over.

The 2016 offense was the best offense the Bills had since the SB era..........7th in scoring and fewest turnovers of any NFL team thru 15 games in the SB era......until they tanked their stats in the finale by benching Taylor.......which was management tanking so that the Bills could get a better pick so the Chiefs could take their franchise QB with it.

As for the drought stuff..........if that's the only reason you appreciate him,  you are probably a homer who secretly hated him.   

That first McDermott team was BAD.   There was no offensive skill position talent left around Taylor.  Un-f*cking watchable offense. :lol:  Worst point differential of any team to make the playoffs in the AFC since the 1980's.    Many drought teams were better.    That was a 6-7 win team that got some ball luck.

The drought wasn't really broken until Josh Allen arrived and a Bills playoff team actually deserved to be there............but 2017 allowed a bunch of posers and fair-weather fans an opportunity to flop around on social media and act like they had been grinding out the drought.

origin.gif

"I can't believe we got a wildcard 'Lizbeth......take me now Lawd!"

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

I'll remember him quitting during the Saints blowout. 

It's comments like these that I don't understand. 

The Bills defense gave up 298 yards rushing and 6 rushing TDs to the Saints and you remember TYROD TAYLOR quitting ? The Saints ran the ball 24 straight plays!!

Tyrod might be the most dis-respected player in Bills history. 

He's a top 5 all-time QB for this franchise and I'll fight anyone that says otherwise. Of course that speaks more to how dismal our QBs have been over the years than it does for TT....

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

The Bills defense gave up 298 yards rushing and 6 rushing TDs to the Saints and you remember TYROD TAYLOR quitting ? The Saints ran the ball 24 straight plays!!

He's a top 5 all-time QB for this franchise and I'll fight anyone that says otherwise. Of course that speaks more to how dismal our QBs have been over the years than it does for TT....

That's where you're wrong. 

I was at that game sitting not far from the field. Tyrod had quit written all over him. And that was during the year we were fighting for a playoff berth 

Did you see Allen quit during the Colts game this year? Or how about the Bucs game? 

Tyrod was wired wrong. Good riddance. 

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

That's where you're wrong. 

I was at that game sitting not far from the field. Tyrod had quit written all over him. And that was during the year we were fighting for a playoff berth 

Did you see Allen quit during the Colts game this year? Or how about the Bucs game? 

Tyrod was wired wrong. Good riddance. 

I was at that Saints game as well.

Tyrod gave up as much as Allen did against the Colts (both QBs got benched those games). It's not possible to win when your defense doesn't force a punt and gives up 300 rushing yards / 6 rushing TDs.

You're really proving my point here that fans are biased against Tyrod. Blaming TT for the Saints game is as bad a take as blaming Allen for the Colts game 

I imagine if you're under 35 he is the only competent QB you would have gotten to witness, so to that age group I would imagine he's looked at in a nice light. If you're older you had a lot of guys to compare him to and he will always fall flat. I fall into the older category so he doesn't stack up to the likes of Jim or even Drew bledsoe, but he will always have a place in Bills lore. He seemed like an all around decent dude to. He will forever be the qb that broke the playoff drought and no one can take that away, not even Andy Dalton. 

Go Bills.

5 hours ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

So on the Bills Mafia Facebook page somebody posted a recent pic of themselves with Tyrod Taylor.  I commented on how I appreciated his time here, wished him the best and was thankful he was a part of the end of the drought.  Immediately some one commented “you mean Andy Dalton”.  This turned into a back and forth where the other Bills fan went on to say how Tyrod was never clutch and proceeded to trash him.  In fact I was surprised by the amount of negative comments toward him from other posters (probably 60/40 good comments but still a lot of negativity) and it got me to thinking what is Tyrod’s legacy here in Buffalo?

Obviously, he is no Jim Kelly, Jack Kemp or even Joe Ferguson and most recently the savior Josh.  But to think of him as a bad player or to lump him with the likes Trent Edwards, EJ Manuel and Todd Collins seems ridiculous too me.  So what group would you include him in, again based on legacy?  He only spent three years here throwing 51 touchdowns and 16 interceptions.  Compare that to Drew Bledsoe’s 55 and 43 also in a 3 year span or Fitz’s 80 and 64 in 4 years and he really isn’t all that far behind.  In fact way behind on interceptions (as maddening as the checkdowns could be)

But how would we compare him to those two as a Buffalo Bill?  We all LOVE Fitz, his personality and how he’s stood by Buffalo.  Bledsoe had one fantastic and fun year here before fizzling out fast.  Is there a better QB to compare him too statistically and success wise over a comprable span with the Bills?

Tyrod was a gutsy player that, like so many others during and before the drought had NOTHING around him.  I remember a specific 3rd and 27 type play against the Titans where he ran for the first down before being horse collard into an injury at the plays end.  Dude gave it his all.  Is it fair to say his legacy is equal to Fitz when you consider the teams oh so modest success in his last year?

Im interested in what others might think.  How you will remember him and his tenure as a Bills quarterback ?

With all that said thankfully those days are all behind us now.  We have a stud  QB and Super Bowl aspirations.  However I’ve always been a Bills fan and I remember Tyrod’s time here fondly in context.  Maybe I’m way off?  Does the recent success distort the memories of those darker times?  Do you have any particulallry good or bad Tyrod Buffalo Bill memories?   Go Bills!

Tyrod was clear a step above an EJ Manuel, Trent Edward or Todd Collins but he was who he was…a fringe starter/backup quarterback.  He was a unique quarterback whose threat of running stressed a defense.  But if you could contain him, he had some limitations as a passer.  

While there is a portion of the Bills fan base who don’t give Tyrod enough credit, there are also a portion who want to give him too much credit.  I wouldn’t say he “ended the drought” more that any other player on the offense.  

Edited by JohnNord
  • Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I was at that Saints game as well.

Tyrod gave up as much as Allen did against the Colts (both QBs got benched those games). It's not possible to win when your defense doesn't force a punt and gives up 300 rushing yards / 6 rushing TDs.

You're really proving my point here that fans are biased against Tyrod. Blaming TT for the Saints game is as bad a take as blaming Allen for the Colts game 

I don't think me and you value intangibles in a QB equally. 

I'd put these QB's ahead of him:

1) Jim Kelly

2) Jack Kemp

3) Josh Allen

4) Joe Ferguson

5) Maybe Doug Flutie

So, the 5th or 6th best QB in Bills history (of course, that's not really saying much when you consider that the history of Bills QB's is largely filled with failures at QB.)

I know some would put Fitzpatrick ahead of him. Not me.

1 hour ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I'm too old to fight anyone but here are the top Bills QBs:

The top 4 are easy: Kelly, Allen, Kemp, Ferguson (3 WOFers and our current star). an argument can also be made that any and all of the following were better : Bledsoe, Flutie, Reich, & Fitzpatrick. You might be able to put Tyrod ahead of the last 2 but that makes him no better than 7th.  I'd rank all 4 ahead of Tyrod, making him #9 among all time Bills QBs and that's only because I didn't include Lamonica because he only started 4 games for the Bills.  Overall career Lamonica & Bledsoe tower over Tyrod.  

20 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The top 4 are easy: Kelly, Allen, Kemp, Ferguson (3 WOFers and our current star). an argument can also be made that any and all of the following were better : Bledsoe, Flutie, Reich, & Fitzpatrick. You might be able to put Tyrod ahead of the last 2 but that makes him no better than 7th.  I'd rank all 4 ahead of Tyrod, making him #9 among all time Bills QBs and that's only because I didn't include Lamonica because he only started 4 games for the Bills.  Overall career Lamonica & Bledsoe tower over Tyrod.  

Agreed on the top 4 (and the order you put them in). There's a gigantic gap between those guys and Tyrod, but I'd put Tyrod at 5

Bledsoe - overall career is much better, but his career as a Bill was underwhelming. 8 games at an elite level followed by 2.5 seasons of mostly crap. 

Flutie - IMO the closest to Tyrod to compete for the #5 spot. Great underdog story and a great W/L record. I attribute the W/L mostly to playing with a great defense and getting lucky in close games. 

Reich - how sad is our franchise that a QB that started in 10 games over 9 seasons is even in this discussion ? The comeback game was historic, but he was a career backup for a reason.  

Fitz - higher highs than Tyrod, but the lows were lower AND more frequent. 

6 hours ago, extrahammer said:

He is what he is, an athletic-style game manager with some accuracy issues. I don't think he's greatest in the league, but I also don't think you have a 12 year NFL career being terrible. 

career backup type guy.  Nothing wrong like that.  I imagine he could be a good coach when done playing.  

5 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

I don't think me and you value intangibles in a QB equally. 

If you don’t think that Tyrod was good, which clearly you don’t, there are things that you can point to. Pointing to a game where the defense gave up 300 yards on the ground and 6 rushing TDs ain’t it!! They ran on 24 consecutive plays!!!! That’s like blaming Josh for the KC loss. Totally misguided.

5 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

It’s amazing how people remember Bledsoe’s Bills career. The guy played with a lot of talent around him. After those first 8 games Bledsoe’s record was 18-22. He completed 702-1,213 for a 57.9% completion percentage. He threw 39 TDs and 38 INTs. Bledsoe was sacked 110 times in 40 games!!! He also lost 19 fumbles in those same 40 games!! He had 4 rushing TDs in that window. So to recap he had 43 total TDs, 57 turnovers and was sacked 110 times!!!! He was so much worse than people seem to remember. He played 8 good games with a loaded roster. Bledsoe belongs in the group with EJ, Losman and Edwards.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

7 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

He was 9-18 for 56 yards and 1 Int in over 3 quarters in that game.

The Bills D sucked and the Bills QB was not only terrible, but gave up on the game and the team.  Peterman out played him in 2 drives and that was why he got the start versus LA the next week.  That performance against NO lead to a crazy decision because the team felt they needed something out of the QB position.

Tyrod is not disrespected in my opinion - He is exactly what he was the entire rest of his career  - a very, very mediocre replacement level QB.  He was an athlete playing QB and had 2 tricks - running with the ball and a deep sideline pass.  Luckily Rex had an OC that had found success in SF with Kaep and that same OC has had success with Jackson afterwards in Baltimore with those same traits.

My issue with Tyrod is how he played the games - he was such a mediocre passer that once the Bills were down by more than a TD he could not bring the team back.  The Bills relied on being ahead or at most being within a FG throughout the game or it was a loss.  Tyrod did play into that well with his aversion to throwing to anyone covered and therefore not turning the ball over.  His TO rate was phenomenal, but I would have given that up for a guy that would make plays late to try and win a game.

Fitzpatrick lost games where he threw that crucial pick trying to find a way to score and win the game.  Tyrod lost games because he would not even try to make those plays - it would be fourth and 8 and he would throw a 3 yard pass in the flat or scramble out of bounds after a short gain.  

Tyrod to me belongs in a huge line of middling QBs that have suited up for the Bills - Guys like Bledsoe, Johnson, Edwards, EJ, Losman, Collins, and the like - He does not need a legacy - he was just a small part of the team.  I don’t dislike or like the guy - I am just glad he is not our starter and was thrilled when he was replaced.

Before JA - there were only really 3 Bills QBs that mattered - now there are 4.  After those 4 - the rest (including Tyrod) were a short series of names and why anyone would care where they are ranked is beyond pointless.   

Edited by Rochesterfan

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Taylor wasn't a good quarterback.......there is a lot that goes into being that and he didn't have all the traits.

But he was the best combination of offensive player/durability that they had at the QB position in the time between Jim Kelly and Josh Allen.

Taylor produced, he made some great plays in the air and on the ground........ he averaged 8.0 yards per attempt in his first year with Buffalo(contrary to the "dink and dunk" narrative.........and his 2015-2016 offenses put up points whether his receivers were available or whether his OC could draw up a passing game or not........oh...and he didn't turn the ball over.

The 2016 offense was the best offense the Bills had since the SB era..........7th in scoring and fewest turnovers of any NFL team thru 15 games in the SB era......until they tanked their stats in the finale by benching Taylor.......which was management tanking so that the Bills could get a better pick so the Chiefs could take their franchise QB with it.

As for the drought stuff..........if that's the only reason you appreciate him,  you are probably a homer who secretly hated him.   

That first McDermott team was BAD.   There was no offensive skill position talent left around Taylor.  Un-f*cking watchable offense. :lol:  Worst point differential of any team to make the playoffs in the AFC since the 1980's.    Many drought teams were better.    That was a 6-7 win team that got some ball luck.

The drought wasn't really broken until Josh Allen arrived and a Bills playoff team actually deserved to be there............but 2017 allowed a bunch of posers and fair-weather fans an opportunity to flop around on social media and act like they had been grinding out the drought.

origin.gif

"I can't believe we got a wildcard 'Lizbeth......take me now Lawd!"

thank you Lesean Mccoy

Tyrod led us out of the drought.  He’s probably the best backup AB in the league or at least one of three.  He’s not

a starter, plays it safe and wasn’t going to take us any farther than the wildcard spot in 2017.  As a man, seems to be a good person and reliable to take a team when the starter is hurt to 2-2 which is usually a benchmark for a quality backup.

Hes not one of the best Bills QBs as other have stayed the top 4 to 5.  I appreciate the playoff showing, but we needed a whole team overhaul and they did it.

Its pointless to bash him, not glorify him.  He was a good patch.  I like Keenum as a backup and because this show analyzes the whole room, not just the starter, the MTC boys rated the Bills as #1 in the league primarily as the other top starters don’t have as good of backups as the Bills.  I would be very happy if it was Tyrod though instead of Keenum.  Hopefully we never

see our backups in the season unless we have the #1 seed locked up in week 18, and time to rest Allen.

Part of me only due to my vitriol for the Pats would love to see Allen destroy them on 1/8/23.  Maybe we could have him play a half and rack up 28 pts. In the 1st half.  Then Keenum can clean up.  I know my logical side will win over, but the emotional hate I have for the Cheats right now always makes me want to destroy them!

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

thank you Lesean Mccoy

McCoy produced a paltry 4.0 yards per carry in 2017.   Some of that is on McDermott for hiring Rick Dennison, but they'd been keeping McCoy fresh by keeping his carries way down and instead McD ran him like he was still the 300 carry type of player he was in his prime in Philly.   Which he clearly was not.   They had also been maximizing his production by designing run plays between the tackles under Roman/Lynn.    The outside zone style of Dennison just put him back outside the tackles, where he had lead the NFL in fewest yards per touch in 2014.    Just a brutal offensive season to watch.    No receivers and an OC that insisted on putting players into his ill-fitting scheme.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.