Tyrod's legacy?

When the Bills signed him I penciled him in as the starter because I figured he couldn't be worse than EJ or Matt Cassel.  I was psyched by what Rex Ryan had said about the people in Baltimore who loved Tyrod and had told Rex some very positive things about Tyrod. I sent an e-mail to a friend and titled it  "We have our franchise QB." and in the body of the e-mail I put a photo of a tie rod.  He wrote me back that I must have made a mistake because I sent him a picture of a car part.  I guess he hadn't heard about the Taylor signing yet. 

I was a fan in the beginning, even going as far as buying a T-Mobile golf shirt (I had to find it on the internet since the T-Mobile stores around here didn't have any shirts for sale).  I still have it & since I'm going to the Giants home opener vs Carolina, I might wear it.  

By the end I was calling him a "wheel spinner", my definition of a QB who can only get you to a certain point, within a game or 2, + or -, around .500.   

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Not really.  A needle near the lung for any reason/indication has a risk of pneumothorax. It is recovered from very quickly in most cases.  The reason Tyrod was listed as out "indefinitely" after that game where the injury became known immediately prior to kickoff is because Herbert came in as a rookie and threw for 300 yards.

That was it for TT.....

Please regale us all with the times other starting NFL QB’s lost their job because the team doctor jabbed them in the lung administering pain meds to get them IN the game. 

Oh, wait, that was just you being you. Sorry. 

To me he was a very average qb, and still is Imo. He brought some excitement to this team when Rex brought him in. I supported him 100% when he was the qb here, but after his 3rd season I was ready to move on. I still remember screaming at the TV to throw the ball. I also felt like he never fully embraced buffalo. I mean I think of how Allen has completely embraced this team and city, and it's a pretty big contrast compared to Tyrod. Not saying Tyrod didn't like his time here, but I always felt like he was missing that "it" factor. Also as a side note, when the videos were going around of the team going nuts in the locker room after the Cinci game in 2017, I still to this day have no idea where Tyrod was in all that. Still can't think of a single video I've seen after that game where Tyrod was in it. Doesn't really mean anything, but can't imagine that happening now and Josh not being front and center 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Please regale us all with the times other starting NFL QB’s lost their job because the team doctor jabbed them in the lung administering pain meds to get them IN the game. 

There were rumors that Doug Flutie had a voodoo doll of Rob Johnson & every time he stuck a needle into it, RJ would get injured.  😈

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

There were rumors that Doug Flutie had a voodoo doll of Rob Johnson & every time he stuck a needle into it, RJ would get injured.  😈

It seems Fitzy might have inherited that doll and toured the league with it in his luggage! 

• Like (+1) 1

After Fitz, I think Tyrod was the best drought era QB since he helped break the drought. The guy was all class and a team player. Yes, he doesn’t have the talent or skill set of Allen but I’m happy he was a Bill. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

A better QB (a franchise pick) ended TTs job.  The brief drop of his lung was the conveyance. 

Had he sprained his ankle, say, slipping on a mat in warmups, the result would have been the same.  A mediocre journey man QB at the end of his career.  As you said , he made a good career out of his limited skill.  I applaud him.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

A better QB (a franchise pick) ended TTs job.  The brief drop of his lung was the conveyance. 

Had he sprained his ankle, say, slipping on a mat in warmups, the result would have been the same.  A mediocre journey man QB at the end of his career.  As you said , he made a good career out of his limited skill.  I applaud him.

No question that he was beaten out by a better player. Zero.

However, my point was that Tyrod’s tale will never be fully told without mention of HOW he found his way off the field. Ankles get sprained all the time. The starting QB of an NFL team rarely gets sidelined because the team doctor accidentally stabbed him in the lung with a needle.  

• Like (+1) 1

I remember thinking Tyrod throw the ball quite a bit while watching him!  

That being said he worked hard with what he had to work with.   Was brought onto the team as an afterthought in 2015 but made the Pro Bowl a year later I think.  I know the Pro Bowl is a joke but it's still something for his resume.  

5 years later overall my view of him is positive 

Tyrod was way better than he got credit for around here. He was definitely better than Bledsoe. If you take out Bledsoe’s first 8 games in Buffalo he is no better than Losman, EJ, Edwards. He was AWFUL. Fitz had higher highs and lower lows. I think that Tyrod was more effective but less impactful. You could pick either of those 2. I think, even though it was a brief stay, Tyrod probably best compares to Orton. He gave his team a chance to win. He was a high end game manager. In terms of current QBs, Tyrod would be like 2022 Matt Ryan. He won’t elevate you or hurt you. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bad Things said:

No matter how many whine about him, Tyrod Taylor is The Drought-Breaker, and should be viewed as such.

If anyone gets kudos as ‘the drought-breaker’, his name is Sean McDermott. 

To Tyron’s credit, by all accounts he was a hard worker and good teammate.
 As the starting QB he had some positive traits, but there were still flaws in his game. His low interception numbers are more attributable to his phobia of throwing into coverage than passing accuracy. 
 His legacy is that of a typical Journeyman quarterback-a guy who could be a serviceable understudy as a temporary substitute for the starter. Someone who is never expected to lead a team to an NFL championship. Someone who rarely gets a second contract with the same team. 
The big question that haunts me to this day- why would someone’s parents name them after a car part?

He was “ safe”. He played safe and it was safe for the coaches to play him.

I saw him play Carolina in a 9-3 stinker that encapsulated his Bills career in one game: Defense and running game giving him one last shot at the end which he couldn’t capitalize on.

TT was never going to get us anywhere but would always keep us middle of the round in the draft.

I feel like this fanbase somehow mixed up the legacies of Taylor and Fitzpatrick.

Tyrod was a budget signing who beat out our 1st round quarterback and made the playoffs for the first time in 18 years. He went 22-20, and joined Flutie as the only qb's since Kelly to have a winning record.

Ryan Fitzpatrick got a huge contract and was a turnover machine and had a 24-40 record with the Bills.

I guess a beard really makes the difference.

• Like (+1) 1

I will always appreciate Tyrod for being the QB to end the drought. They will never go away. All of a sudden we got a few years of really good football and we seem to forget where we came from. I still remember how bad it was and how long we suffered. Tyrod wasn’t Josh Allen but he was the guy that ended the suffering and I will always be thankful to him for that. Wish him the best 

• Like (+1) 2

Why do this to ourselves? We spent years debating whether Tyrod was the problem with our offense or if we just sucked. Answer was all the above.

Tentative Tyrod with his low risk play did add some stability to the position. He always seemed like a class act, was humble, a hard worker & all around team guy.

The kind of guy who was easy to root for, its just that it rarely if ever was for his play on the field.

We surely didn't lose because of him out there, rarely ever won because of him either.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.