Tyrod's legacy?

So on the Bills Mafia Facebook page somebody posted a recent pic of themselves with Tyrod Taylor.  I commented on how I appreciated his time here, wished him the best and was thankful he was a part of the end of the drought.  Immediately some one commented “you mean Andy Dalton”.  This turned into a back and forth where the other Bills fan went on to say how Tyrod was never clutch and proceeded to trash him.  In fact I was surprised by the amount of negative comments toward him from other posters (probably 60/40 good comments but still a lot of negativity) and it got me to thinking what is Tyrod’s legacy here in Buffalo?

Obviously, he is no Jim Kelly, Jack Kemp or even Joe Ferguson and most recently the savior Josh.  But to think of him as a bad player or to lump him with the likes Trent Edwards, EJ Manuel and Todd Collins seems ridiculous too me.  So what group would you include him in, again based on legacy?  He only spent three years here throwing 51 touchdowns and 16 interceptions.  Compare that to Drew Bledsoe’s 55 and 43 also in a 3 year span or Fitz’s 80 and 64 in 4 years and he really isn’t all that far behind.  In fact way behind on interceptions (as maddening as the checkdowns could be)

But how would we compare him to those two as a Buffalo Bill?  We all LOVE Fitz, his personality and how he’s stood by Buffalo.  Bledsoe had one fantastic and fun year here before fizzling out fast.  Is there a better QB to compare him too statistically and success wise over a comprable span with the Bills?

Tyrod was a gutsy player that, like so many others during and before the drought had NOTHING around him.  I remember a specific 3rd and 27 type play against the Titans where he ran for the first down before being horse collard into an injury at the plays end.  Dude gave it his all.  Is it fair to say his legacy is equal to Fitz when you consider the teams oh so modest success in his last year?

Im interested in what others might think.  How you will remember him and his tenure as a Bills quarterback ?

With all that said thankfully those days are all behind us now.  We have a stud  QB and Super Bowl aspirations.  However I’ve always been a Bills fan and I remember Tyrod’s time here fondly in context.  Maybe I’m way off?  Does the recent success distort the memories of those darker times?  Do you have any particulallry good or bad Tyrod Buffalo Bill memories?   Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 7
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I'd put him way ahead of Bledsoe. Yes, Bledsoe had half a season of greatness before everyone realized, "Wait, he's the same statue that will hold the ball until he either has a huge play or gets sacked that used to play in New England." I'd also put him behind Fitz but I'm less sure of that. Tyrod made great plays with his legs and did make many excellent passes, it just seemed he didn't trust throwing if the receiver wasn't totally open.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Tyrod was a far better option than people gave him credit for at the time. I feel like some people are/were hard on him because we dreamed of having a QB like Josh. Now, years later, I think people could/should see that he was one of the better drought era QB’s we had. He wasn’t going to throw for 350+/4tds, but he wouldn’t make mistakes and he would let his playmakers (Shady especially) do their thing. 

I give Rex a lot of grief for some of his decisions, but ultimately at the time he was right when it came to QB. Tyrod was a great presence on the team and seems like a genuinely good guy. I hope he can start a few games in NY

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Tyrod had his lung in the wrong place, at the wrong time.  That has to be part of this story, because it’s just so crazy. 

He was serviceable, but with limitations. I like the guy because he bet on himself. I believe he was offered more to be a backup elsewhere, but he wanted a chance to start. I admire the attitude! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Tyrod was a good average QB for us as compared to so many other failures we as fans endured, as to the negativity towards him by “fans”, remember 100% of those who talked sh-t about him couldn’t carry his jock, they are the same folk that now constantly complain, whimper and cry about endless misdeeds by our current HC GM and players, they are big talkers who couldn’t in their wildest dreams be as good as he has been on a football field, yet they will tell anyone who would listen how f ing smart they are about all things football…,  in real life they are the people we avoid being around…,

GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 4

I hate it when people say “Andy Dalton”.  We would have won 10 games instead of 9 had Tyrod started against Chargers.  I was at that game, and Chargers were a losing team, only had 2 close wins over bad teams and were on a 3 game losing streak.  Tyrod came in 2nd half and was moving the ball no problem.  

I was at that game and other Charger games that year.  No one can convince me we still lose if Tyrod starts that game against that bad team.

So for me, his legacy is as a class act, good teammate who was solid but not great and helped snap the 17 year drought.  Two pro bowls, highest scoring era outside the SB years up that time (Allen offense obviously surpassed that now too making Tyrod era now 3rd highest scoring bills era), and saddled with terrible coaching.  

He should not be crapped on.  Don’t have to think he was great (which he wasn’t great), but he wasn’t remotely as bad as his naysayers say and doesn’t deserve the venom some people spit at him.  

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Tyrod was by all accounts a great teammate and hard worker. I don’t think the team lost too many games because of him, but they didn’t win many on account of him either. I remember feeling like if The Bills fell behind, it was over. He just wasn’t explosive as a passer. Too timid. I was glad he helped end the drought of course, but was also glad the team moved on the following year.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

I didn't hate Tyrod, and the bottom line is that he was the QB for the team that ended the drought.  All I can remember, though, is that we only scored 3 freaking points at Jacksonville in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 3

I agree that accuracy was his main issue.  He could not reliably place the ball in a small window.  He worked really hard and developed a work around which was to be careful and just throw to open receivers where ballpark accuracy was good enough.  He could run around to allow those windows to open up.  The problem was not that he was not clutch or was padding but that when he played better teams those windows were tighter and pass rush was quicker so he didn't have those open receivers to hit.  Essentially he had college level accuracy but found a way to make it work in the NFL which is really impressive, but what became clear to McDermott et al. is that wouldn't be good enough to make the team more than a borderline playoff team.

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I hate it when people say “Andy Dalton”.  We would have won 10 games instead of 9 had Tyrod started against Chargers.  I was at that game, and Chargers were a losing team, only had 2 close wins over bad teams and were on a 3 game losing streak.  Tyrod came in 2nd half and was moving the ball no problem.  

I was at that game and other Charger games that year.  No one can convince me we still lose if Tyrod starts that game against that bad team.

So for me, his legacy is as a class act, good teammate who was solid but not great and helped snap the 17 year drought.  Two pro bowls, highest scoring era outside the SB years up that time (Allen offense obviously surpassed that now too making Tyrod era now 3rd highest scoring bills era), and saddled with terrible coaching.  

He should not be crapped on.  Don’t have to think he was great (which he wasn’t great), but he wasn’t remotely as bad as his naysayers say and doesn’t deserve the venom some people spit at him.  

Well said.  I was at that game too.  That was different.  Watching our qB throw 100 million Ints in a soccer stadium, in the first half.  

i think people crap on him because he played scared.  He was too afraid of making a mistake.  From my recollection, when we needed a big play, he usually either ran or threw short of the 1st down marker.  So many times I was left thinking “we would’ve won that game if Tyrod wasn’t such a p****”.  That’s not to discredit his clutch moments, he had a few I’m sure (although not one comes to mind).  I liked the guy but that’s who he was.  Just a guy-

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Good team guy, hard worker, and mildly competent, but the offense in that 2018 wild card playoff game (Jacksonville over Buffalo, 10-3) was just so painful to watch.  Taylor was 17 of 37 for 134 yards and one interception.  He was injured on the last drive and replaced by Peterman.  That sums him up for me. 

• Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.