Buffalo Bills rookies report to training camp today!

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

He won’t have a year. No way they can stash him on the Practice Squad. He would get gobbled up as soon as possible. He either punts in Buffalo this year, or he’ll be a hot commodity for several other teams. If not this year, then never. 

Why was he the third punter drafted if he's such a hot commodity? There's reasons why he wasn't the first. He doesn't do the things good punters do yet. Yes he has a cannon for a leg but if you out kick the coverage with no hang time you're giving the returner a ton of room to operate. If you take too long to get the ball off chances it gets blocked or shanked goes up. Theres big problems that he needs to fix. There's also the FG holding that he hasn't done until the pros. I think it can be learned but what if he's inconsistent? 

Haack has been much better than him so far in OTAs. I hope he improves but I don't see him fixing his issues before the season starts and I don't want to go into season with a punter that is a risk to have a lot of kicks returned for big yardage. Tbh I want to cut haack and get someone better. If we weren't super bowl contenders and the AFC wasn't loaded I'd be ok with dealing with his ups and downs but this season is too important. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 2

On 7/18/2022 at 6:55 PM, Rockinon said:

I have a feeling the passing game is going to be different this year. The addition of QB coach Joe Brady who is supposedly very good at route concepts is one reason. Then the talk of 2 TE sets.  Then the addition of a RB who's specialty is receiving out of the backfield. Then there is a long time coach like Kromer who will have a good deal of input when it comes to designing plays. Everyone is so focused on Ken Dorsey that they forget that the supporting staff will be in Dorsey's ear as well. There are going to be some wrinkles that we haven't seen.

It's quite possible Gabe Davis has a break out year, but so could Dawson Knox. Some of the things the coaches come up with outside of what the offense all ready does well, that's just added gravy. There's no way Dorsey is going to just retool the whole offense, but there will be some experimenting.

There have been some nice pieces added in the offense as far as players go. It's going to be an interesting year. The offense was ultra productive last year and the goal is to keep moving forward. I think between the new players and coaches, we're going to some good things. Rookies will get there chances, but the Bill's will lean on their bread and butter first.

One could say Knox broke out last year, especially considering all of the mouths to feed on that offense.

• Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, TPS said:

One could say Knox broke out last year, especially considering all of the mouths to feed on that offense.

It's all about the targets.  If he had as many targets as Kelce, he'd have had virtually identical stats in terms of catches and yards.

3 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Why was he the third punter drafted if he's such a hot commodity? There's reasons why he wasn't the first. He doesn't do the things good punters do yet. Yes he has a cannon for a leg but if you out kick the coverage with no hang time you're giving the returner a ton of room to operate. If you take too long to get the ball off chances it gets blocked or shanked goes up. Theres big problems that he needs to fix. There's also the FG holding that he hasn't done until the pros. I think it can be learned but what if he's inconsistent? 

Haack has been much better than him so far in OTAs. I hope he improves but I don't see him fixing his issues before the season starts and I don't want to go into season with a punter that is a risk to have a lot of kicks returned for big yardage. Tbh I want to cut haack and get someone better. If we weren't super bowl contenders and the AFC wasn't loaded I'd be ok with dealing with his ups and downs but this season is too important. 

Your last sentence is my point. It may not be in Buffalo's best interest--as serious contenders--to take a gamble with allowing him to develop. With Haack, at least you know what you're getting. So for the Bills, that may be the safe thing to do.

But if they do that, teams in the bottom half of the league who are not serious contenders can take that risk. Let the kid with the cannon for a leg develop, he has time to learn the intricacies. For them there is little risk and high reward. So I stubbornly 🤪 stick by my point, if he is not on the Bills roster in week one, we will be on another team's soon.

All the things you say may be correct, but with that kind of raw talent, unless he has an abysmal training camp and pre-season, there is no hiding him on the practice squad.

Edited by CSBill

1 hour ago, Doc said:

It's all about the targets.  If he had as many targets as Kelce, he'd have had virtually identical stats in terms of catches and yards.

He doesn’t get open like Kelce does.  Physically, he’s similar.  Kelces route running is on another level.  The way he reads the defenses is also on another level. Knox is very good, but he’s not Kelce. Stats are products of usuage, like you suggest, but knox wouldn’t have the same numbers with the same targets. He wouldn’t be open as often 

9 hours ago, CSBill said:

He won’t have a year. No way they can stash him on the Practice Squad. He would get gobbled up as soon as possible. He either punts in Buffalo this year, or he’ll be a hot commodity for several other teams. If not this year, then never. 

I think the better question is whether our current punter could be stashed on the practice squad.  In case Punt God does not continue to improve during the season.   Because obviously Punt God is making the final 53 or else be traded.

3 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

I think the better question is whether our current punter could be stashed on the practice squad.  In case Punt God does not continue to improve during the season.   Because obviously Punt God is making the final 53 or else be traded.

I'm fine with just not punting fwiw.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

I'm fine with just not punting fwiw.

sorry.  I meant to stash a holding punter in case Punt God doesnt improve as a holder.   I think McB will be looking for improvement and commitment to the craft of holding.  I dont think they drafted him to be a clean crisp holder on day one, or else hit the unemployment line.

2 hours ago, maddenboy said:

Agree!

30 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I can’t remember which podcast it was but the host said the Bills threw an extra mill at Haack for him to train/mentor Punt good in TC, and he’s on board. 

"Punt Bad", otherwise known as "Hold Good", is paid one million dollars to train "Punt Good" how to become "Hold Good".

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

No Tre White (yet)… not sure of the timing as to when it needs submitted by but 1st practice is in less than 72 hours

I find it weird there’s been no updates on White. I actually think that’s good news. We’ll likely be getting a Bills embedded episode on his rehab. He’s been in Buffalo since the injury.

But also why are players trying to get the Bills to sign Haden? Just because?

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I find it weird there’s been no updates on White. I actually think that’s good news. We’ll likely be getting a Bills embedded episode on his rehab. He’s been in Buffalo since the injury.

They say he's working hard and looking good. I would not be surprised to see him back at practice by Sept.

I think they like their younger guys and aren't wanting to spend any money before final cuts all around as well as any possible injuries by the end of pre season.

19 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I would find it weird if there were updates on White. They keep everything close that they want close.  Why offer up anything to the league?  It’s what they want

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.