Punter’s number

OGTEleven

Our new punter has number 19, (not a typical punter number at all nor his college number), which he apparently requested from McKenzie.  Has anyone seen the back story on this?  I have a guess but maybe @john wawrow can ask at camp if no one knows for sure.

Araiza is from San Diego and played at SDSU.  Easily the greatest sports hero in that town (and a guy that is my all time favorite player in any sport) is Tony Gwynn.  He wore 19 for the Padres.  I think it has to be this but have not seen it reported.  If so, it would be a weird but cool connection between my favorite team and player.  

Edited by OGTEleven
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, DasNootz said:

Maybe he just wanted to prove he could get one inside of 20

So since the allowed jersey pee position rules were changed years back…punters can now have 1-19. He’s chosen the highest number possible and for him to request it from another layer makes me believe your thoughts may have some validity.

10 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Unless a lot has changed, rookies do not get to request specific numbers… especially a guy who may not make the team. (I sure hope he does, but who knows.)

When McKenzie changed his number it was reported as being done at the punter's request.

#2 Tyler Bass

#3 Matt Hauck

#5 Marquez Stevenson

#6 Isaiah McKenzie

#7 Taron Johnson

#8 OJ Howard

#9 Andre Smith

7 of the 9 single digit numbers are currently taken. I suppose they could have given him #1 or #4, but I'm guessing they're just going to give him #3, #5, or #9 after Training Camp so long as he wins the job. Or maybe he just prefers #19. Odd numbers on players are all the rage these days.

I don't believe he requested the number from McKenzie. I get the feeling from McKenzie's social media posts about it that he chose #6. I don't envision a 6th Round Rookie Punter approaching a vet of McKenzie's stature on the team and asking for their number. That would take some serious balls.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 2

37 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I don't think this is true.  I believe the number change for McKenzie came prior to the draft

I swear I saw it somewhere but can’t find it.  You’re probably right and maybe I just read it from someone else on here and assumed it was correct.

The articles I do find on the number change are form May 3, which is after the draft.

Edited by OGTEleven

15 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

#2 Tyler Bass

#3 Matt Hauck

#5 Marquez Stevenson

#6 Isaiah McKenzie

#7 Taron Johnson

#8 OJ Howard

#9 Andre Smith

7 of the 9 single digit numbers are currently taken. I suppose they could have given him #1 or #4, but I'm guessing they're just going to give him #3, #5, or #9 after Training Camp so long as he wins the job. Or maybe he just prefers #19. Odd numbers on players are all the rage these days.

I don't believe he requested the number from McKenzie. I get the feeling from McKenzie's social media posts about it that he chose #6. I don't envision a 6th Round Rookie Punter approaching a vet of McKenzie's stature on the team and asking for their number. That would take some serious balls.

Well if he is going to be a punter/kick holder I hope he is good at handling tough balls.

18 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

#2 Tyler Bass

#3 Matt Hauck

#5 Marquez Stevenson

#6 Isaiah McKenzie

#7 Taron Johnson

#8 OJ Howard

#9 Andre Smith

Agree 100%.  The only other thing I could possibly envision is he paid McKenzie a chunk for it?  I've heard of players approaching a player who's jersey number they want and offering them cash for the right to acquire their jersey number...but you're right, as a rookie, 6th round pick no less, approaching McKenzie for his # would take some brass cohones....

Edited by smuvtalker

42 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

Agree 100%.  The only other thing I could possibly envision is he paid McKenzie a chunk for it?  I've heard of players approaching a player who's jersey number they want and offering them cash for the right to acquire their jersey number...but you're right, as a rookie, 6th round pick no less, approaching McKenzie for his # would take some brass cohones....

You’re all probably right about him not asking for the number, but I could have sworn I read it.

Regardless of that he is 19.  Knowing what Gwynn meant to San Diego and to SDSU, my guess is it has something to do with his selection.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, OGTEleven said:

You’re all probably right about him not asking for the number, but I could have sworn I read it.

Regardless of that he is 19.  Knowing what Gwynn meant to San Diego and to SDSU, my guess is it has something to do with his selection.

Can certainly understand that being the case.  Unarguably one of the best pure hitters MLB has ever seen.  

Hey maybe when it's all said and done we will remember Araiza as one of the best pure punters ever to grace the NFL....

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.