Most dramatic sports moment you saw?

Miyagi-Do Karate

40 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

@Gugny's comeback on Popular Contributor list for the week.  Will he make a huge push to overtake @Logic

Current score: 128 to 101.  It's a nail biter. 

I don't know, y'all.

That picture of the Bills helmet with Josh's drawing of the Bills logo on the main forum is really raking in the likes. 

Parks And Recreation Brush Shoulders GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/18/2022 at 6:49 AM, BuffaloBud said:

1 - Greg Lemond beating Laurent Fignon to win the TdF by 8 secs on the last stage, which was a individual time trial.

Was that the one where GL went all out for the win, while LF treated it like a slow Sunday ride?  Or was that someone else?  I remember there being one that the one rider was expected to win, so they were taking their time, drinking champagne, etc, while the person that did win went all out, knowing with a fast enough time they could win. 

39 minutes ago, Logic said:

I don't know, y'all.

That picture of the Bills helmet with Josh's drawing of the Bills logo on the main forum is really raking in the likes. 

Parks And Recreation Brush Shoulders GIF

I gained some traction with my picture of the Hennessey bottle in the Thurman Thomas thread.  That Bills helmet was fantastic!!

• Like (+1) 1

TV:  

Team USA defeating the USSR in the 1980 Winter Olympics.  There is confusion in regards to those who say they watched the game live.  I did watch it live -  during the dinner hour - it was live on Canadian TV via Buffalo cable TV.  I believe CBC was the network.  I have tried to research with no luck, who called the game in Canada.

The Soviets hammered Team USA in an Olympic prelim 10-3.  A similar result was expected.  I was flipping channels and I found it live during the third period.  The Soviets were up 3-2 which was a victory in itself.  Then the USA knotted it and went ahead.  Nobody else was watching with me!  Between the game, the call and the crowd, it was amazing!

Honorable mentions:

Reggie Jackson’s three homer effort in the 1977 World Series clincher for the Yankees.  I came in the door to catch #3!  I am a big A’s fan and Reggie was my fave regardless of who he played for!

Bills against Houston!  All time classic!

Live:

Seeing Wayne Gretzky beat Phil Esposito’s season goal scoring record in 1982 at the Aud.  Gretzky netted a hat trick.  Forgotten in the drama, Gilbert Perreault also had a hat trick!  Buffalo fans booed Espo!  (Espo was his greatest in the 1972 Summit Series).

Honorable mention:

2011 WJC Gold Medal game in Buffalo.  Russia came back from  3-0 deficit with five goals in the third period to beat Team Canada.  Impressive comeback.  Sadly, years later, some of the Russian players died in a plane crash

Closed Circuit:

Watching Sugar Ray Leonard’s defeat of Tommy Hearns in 1981 welterweight fight screened in the Aud!

Edited by Spun
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Was that the one where GL went all out for the win, while LF treated it like a slow Sunday ride?  Or was that someone else?  I remember there being one that the one rider was expected to win, so they were taking their time, drinking champagne, etc, while the person that did win went all out, knowing with a fast enough time they could win. 

I don't recall that one.  GL was in second place going into the last stage - an individual time trial.  GL was behind LF 50 secs.  GL was one of the first to use clip on aero bars, aero helmet, wheels and did so in this ITT.  Where LF rode without the aero bars and aero helmet.  GL recovered the 50 secs and beat LF by 8 secs.  Both men rode flat out - averaging almost 32mph for 15 miles.

Edited by BuffaloBud

I was at games 2130 and 2131 for Cal.  No further explanation needed.

21 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

It was played during the day and ABC showed it in the evening.  My dad knew the result while he watched with me.  I can’t speak to @SoTier comment about local Buffalo channel but nationally it was 100% on tape delay.

This is correct; however, fans in Buffalo, Detroit and other Canadian border towns/cities were able to see it live on CBC.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/17/2022 at 6:45 PM, 4merper4mer said:

That was something.  I can only imagine if that had been game 7.

That's the thing- everyone who followed baseball that year knew the Dodgers had zero chance of winning that series.  The A's were brutally stacked, and had easily the best closer in baseball.  The dodgers had 1 pitcher and were otherwise old and beat to a pulp.  

Gibson's homer made the impossible possible- there was no game 7 without that hit, and that's why it makes possibly the most important hit in baseball history all the more amazing- it was game 1.  It literally changed the entire series. 

And Vin Scully to top it off... the man just knew what was important in letting the game play, but when he did speak it was just so poignant.  Even the throw away stories were great too- he could've had dinner with a bat boy's grandma, and you'd never want the story to end.  

51 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

That's the thing- everyone who followed baseball that year knew the Dodgers had zero chance of winning that series.  The A's were brutally stacked, and had easily the best closer in baseball.  The dodgers had 1 pitcher and were otherwise old and beat to a pulp.  

Gibson's homer made the impossible possible- there was no game 7 without that hit, and that's why it makes possibly the most important hit in baseball history all the more amazing- it was game 1.  It literally changed the entire series. 

And Vin Scully to top it off... the man just knew what was important in letting the game play, but when he did speak it was just so poignant.  Even the throw away stories were great too- he could've had dinner with a bat boy's grandma, and you'd never want the story to end.  

well said. You hit the nail on the head. It was like David landing a mortal first blow on Goliath’s forehead. That HR was everything.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.