Most dramatic sports moment you saw?

Miyagi-Do Karate

Seeing it live has to be Matt Franco's GW 2 RBI single in the bottom of the 9th against the immortal Mariano Rivera to cap off a 9-8 mid-season win.

The game was epic. The Bronx Bombers lived up to their name with 6 no-doubt-off-the bat HR's. Pretty sure Posada and O'Neill had two each. Piazza hit the longest HR of the day - a three run blast that I think reached the parking lot to make it 7-6.

Bottom 9, bases loaded, two outs, 8-7 Yankees, Rivera on the mound. With two strikes on Franco the ump calls a ball - it was close and having seen the replay could have gone either way. The next pitch Franco wins it with a somewhat close play at the plate:

Edited by SinceThe70s
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

Seeing it live has to be Matt Franco's GW 2 RBI single in the bottom of the 9th against the immortal Mariano Rivera to cap off a 9-8 mid-season win.

The game was epic. The Bronx Bombers lived up to their name with 6 no-doubt-off-the bat HR's. Pretty sure Posada and O'Neill had two each. Piazza hit the longest HR of the day - a three run blast that I think reached the parking lot to make it 7-6.

Bottom 9, bases loaded, two outs, 8-7 Yankees, Rivera on the mound. With two strikes on Franco the ump calls a ball - it was close and having seen the replay could have gone either way. The next pitch Franco wins it with a somewhat close play at the plate:

i remember this game well!  In the late 90s, I would probably watch 90% of the Mets regular season games.

in terms of dramatic moments involving the Mets, this one has to be number 1 for me.  In 2000, Mets score 10 Runs in the 8th to comeback and beat the Braves. I remember watching this in the hospital (was there for a minor procedure).  Totally improbable comeback.

25 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i remember this game well!  In the late 90s, I would probably watch 90% of the Mets regular season games.

in terms of dramatic moments involving the Mets, this one has to be number 1 for me.  In 2000, Mets score 10 Runs in the 8th to comeback and beat the Braves. I remember watching this in the hospital (was there for a minor procedure).  Totally improbable comeback.

LOL - 90% is about right for me since well, the 70s. But I did not see that comeback and I also missed Piazza's HR to win the first game back after 9/11. LFGM!!!

• Like (+1) 1

I was 12 years old when Bill Simpson intercepted Richard Todd with just seconds remaining. The Bills held off a furious Jets rally and won the 81 WC game 31-27. Walking out of Shea that day and seeing all the disappointed Jets fans was priceless.

On tv: Already suggested was Miracle on Ice, SU NCAA BB championship win.  Two new ones.

1 - Greg Lemond beating Laurent Fignon to win the TdF by 8 secs on the last stage, which was a individual time trial.

2 - Michael Johnson 200m / 400m gold medal wins in Atlanta.  LIke watching Secretariat.

In person: CBJ Nick Foligno OT game winner against Pitt.  Sitting in the upper deck I could have swore that the building was shaking.

Edited by BuffaloBud

Saw in person.  Jim Kelly's #12 being retired.     Kevin Everett's collision.      Local HS hoops team down 20 to start 4th qtr. in State Tournament semi-finals.  Tied the game and won in OT.  Won the championship the next night.

TV.  Laettners's shot.  Miracle on Ice.    Jack Nicklaus winning the 1986 Masters.

Radio.  Hearing Bill Mazeroski's HR to win the 1960 World Series.  

• Like (+1) 2

I have to go with the Miracle on Ice at the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid.   I can still see the hockey stick flying into the air after the buzzer .

A lot of people don't remember that the win against the Russians wasn't the gold medal game.   The US team had to beat Finland later in order to take the gold, which they did.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

I have to go with the Miracle on Ice at the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid.   I can still see the hockey stick flying into the air after the buzzer .

A lot of people don't remember that the win against the Russians wasn't the gold medal game.   The US team had to beat Finland later in order to take the gold, which they did.

Also it was not technically a live broadcast.

8 hours ago, sherpa said:

...Live. The Stratton hot on Keith Lincoln in the 64 championship.

Though just a kid, with the sound of it I thought he was dead until he moved.

I was at that game as well. The sound of the hit reverberated through the stadium. I remember the whole place going silent for an instant. My older brother, like you, also thought Lincoln was dead! Completely changed the game.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Tony P said:

I was at that game as well. The sound of the hit reverberated through the stadium. I remember the whole place going silent for an instant. My older brother, like you, also thought Lincoln was dead! Completely changed the game.

The weird thing about that hit was that everybody saw it coming a second or two before impact, and I think that's what caused the silence, which I remember as well.

When Lincoln extended his arms to catch the high throw and Stratton was going near full speed about seven feet away, you knew it was going to be awful. 

The "crack."

Thankfully he rolled fairly quickly after going down so you knew he wasn't dead.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

My dad was born and raised in Lake Placid and lived there during the '80 Olympics. He was at the Miracle on Ice game, and drank all night with Mike Eruzione and all those guys at the bar after the game. 

The town of Lake Placid has still never really moved past that game. They still, to this day, make huge tourist dollars off Olympics and Miracle on Ice merchandise. There are not one, not two, but THREE different souvenir shops specializing in Olympics merchandise on the main street in town. One of them plays the game on a loop on a tv in the store. Obviously it was a huge moment in sports and in American history in general, but it happened FORTY TWO YEARS AGO. But go to Lake Placid, and it's like it just happened last week. A little eerie.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

My uncle was at the wide right game and was on the left side of the stadium and they all thought it went in for about 4 seconds until someone pointed out the refs lol. 

For me being at the comeback game was the best live game I believe. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Logic said:

My dad was born and raised in Lake Placid and lived there during the '80 Olympics. He was at the Miracle on Ice game, and drank all night with Mike Eruzione and all those guys at the bar after the game. 

The town of Lake Placid has still never really moved past that game. They still, to this day, make huge tourist dollars off Olympics and Miracle on Ice merchandise. There are not one, not two, but THREE different souvenir shops specializing in Olympics merchandise on the main street in town. One of them plays the game on a loop on a tv in the store. Obviously it was a huge moment in sports and in American history in general, but it happened FORTY TWO YEARS AGO. But go to Lake Placid, and it's like it just happened last week. A little eerie.

when I was at Lake Placid what struck me was the olympics infrastructure which remained after the fact. I remember seeing it and thinking of the history that had occurred in that place. We also had lunch picnic and a mean duck stole my sisters sandwich LOL...Yep, Lake Placid. 🙂

m

• Haha (+1) 1

Just for fun Im going to post my brothers fav in person game. RIP And my highlight from watching it on TV

I am referring to the 1990 AFC Championship game in Orchard Park. The 51-3 game. He described it as being "jet engine loud" couldnt hear the person sitting next to you Loud.  Most electric game he had ever been to. 51-3 JUST FREEZE BABY  banner lol  onto Super Bowl XXV

My memory of that game was when Darryl Talley intercepted a pass for a return TD and the score went up 21-3. My bro shared from the stands and even at the time I felt the same way. After that play, at home, the way the Bills were playing, No Way would the Raiders be able to come back. And yes, it was a blowout.

15 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Still chills!

Thanks for that!

When the rider told the horse to "go"....I don't think I've ever seen a gear change like that in a horse race.

That is Secretariat type total domination! 

The winner was way faster than every horse on the track for damned near the entire home stretch.

Incredible!

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.