Most dramatic sports moment you saw?

Miyagi-Do Karate

On 7/17/2022 at 9:56 AM, BuffaloBill said:

This ^^^^^  Whatr a moment for that team and the entirety of the United States.

I think Miracle on Ice is tough to beat because it was not just a HUGE sports outcome (which it was) but it exceeded the scope of sport.  It was WAY bigger than that, at least at the time.

• Like (+1) 1

The most dramatic sports moment I saw in person was Endy Chavez' catch in game 7 of the NLCS in 2006.  I was sitting up the leftfield line, so it all happened right in front of me.  The score was tied and he turned a two run shot into a double play.   He ran SO FAR to make that catch. Shea Stadium went nuts.  If the Mets would have won that game, then that catch would be famous. I suppose the second most dramatic was when Beltran struck out with bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th in that same game.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, snafu said:

The most dramatic sports moment I saw in person was Endy Chavez' catch in game 7 of the NLCS in 2006.  I was sitting up the leftfield line, so it all happened right in front of me.  The score was tied and he turned a two run shot into a double play.   He ran SO FAR to make that catch. Shea Stadium went nuts.  If the Mets would have won that game, then that catch would be famous. I suppose the second most dramatic was when Beltran struck out with bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th in that same game.

I will never forget EITHER of those things.  I've hated Beltran's guts since the day he watched that pitch go by.  He's a ***** bum, that mother *****.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

Game 6 was better

3 hours ago, aristocrat said:

My uncle was at the wide right game and was on the left side of the stadium and they all thought it went in for about 4 seconds until someone pointed out the refs lol. 

For me being at the comeback game was the best live game I believe. 

How old were u 5?

Television moment for me, and a lot of people have already named a lot of great ones.

So I will go with the 1989 Preakness Stakes. Some could argue that there might be other horse races that are just as dramatic, but at the time I had never seen such a duel in a race that Sunday Silence & Easy Goer put on that day.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It was a Ravens-Steelers MNF in the 90s.  I was watching with two good friends- one a fun loving, good hearted, wild man.... like me, and the other a straight edge, preachy, family man.  Me and my brother from another mother both bet big $ on Ravens, big $.  Ravens were favored by 3.  Steelers are winning by 1.  There is 5 seconds left.  Steelers have the ball at the Ravens 8.  They decide are ahead by 1, 5 seconds left they decide to attempt a gimme FG.  Ravens are life support.  Big $ down the toilet. 

Family man

"how much did you guys bet?!?"

"What were you thinking?" 

"Let this be a lesson"

me and my buddy are getting a earfull, can't we lose peacefully?

"betting doesn't pay"

"that amount has to hurt"

Pitt attempts FG, Ravens block it, the ball bounces to returner, they run 90 blocked FG return, no time left!  Me and my buddy are jumping up and down cheering.  My preacher buddy shut up.  "What were you saying?  Something about gambling not paying?  lol

absolutely amazing MNF game ending!

Nice play for us that bet the Ravens.  But the converse is true as well.  Thats an awful loss if you bet the Steelers

• Like (+1) 1

On TV

The 7-1 drubbing of Brazil by Germany (well, I am German) at the 2014 World Cup, in Brazil of all places. Especially the 5-0 first half stands out. Somewhat embarrassed by their riches, the German players did not even really celebrate goals 6 and 7 anymore.

Live

I never went to important sporting events where not a family member was involved. As my son has been playing in the Longhorn band for the last 5 years, I have attended a number of recent Texas football games in Austin. The most dramatic moments all occurred when Bijan Robinson was touching the ball. This kid will be special in the NFL (he could enter the 2023 draft as junior).

Dramatic but in a horrible way.  I was 8 years old and watching the Indy 500 and Sweed Savage crashed his car and it burst into flames. One of his crew members ran to help and was hit by a firetruck and died instantly.  Savage initially survived the crash but died in the hospital later.

• Shocked 1

On TV - the 2019 Cricket World Cup Final between England and New Zealand. Things I'd never seen happen before happened in a couple of hours.

Live - England 1-2 France at Euro 2004. England winning 1-0 going into the last minutes of the game. 5 minutes later and Zidane has scored a free-kick and a penalty. No way back. Dramatic but gutting. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Also it was not technically a live broadcast.

I think that one of the Buffalo tv stations may have broadcast the game live.   In 1980, WNY was hockey-mad since the Sabres had been to the Stanley Cup finals about 3 or 4 years earlier plus with the games being in Lake Placid, the local stations had extra coverage.  I remember coming home from work (I was a school teacher) and turning on the game while I was making dinner.   

Then again, maybe I am suffering from false memories.  :D

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

Wait, it wasn't live?  My dad always told me it wasn't live and I've tried telling people over the years and was called nuts.

It was played during the day and ABC showed it in the evening.  My dad knew the result while he watched with me.  I can’t speak to @SoTier comment about local Buffalo channel but nationally it was 100% on tape delay.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.