Most dramatic sports moment you saw?

Miyagi-Do Karate

I was texting with some buddies about Kirk Gibson’s game-winning home run in GW 1 of the 1988 World Series. It then dawned on me that that may have been the single most dramatic sports moment I ever saw.

A close second is probably Christian Laittener in 1992 at the buzzer over Kentucky. 

How about all of you? What’s the most “dramatic” sports moment you saw? 

Edit: can be either live or on TV. 

Edited by Miyagi-Do Karate
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I went through a period I was interested in tennis.  This was probably the best match I ever watched.  1996 US Open.  Sampras was rated number #1 but was pushed to his limits by Alex Correjta.  5th set, 6-6 tiebreaker he started throwing up on the court but still managed to get the win.

I was rooting for Alex watching this just because he was the underdog but appreciate Pete's effort to pull it out.

• Like (+1) 1

Probably Flutie's last minute heave for Boston College against Bernie Kosar and Miami.  I am referring to 'viewed live', be it in person or on live television.

For 'live', it would have to be Moises Alou throwing out a runner at home at Pilot Field from against the wall in right field.  The funny thing is, I cannot remember if he was still with the Bisons, or if he was playing for Indianapolis, Montreal's AAA club where he was traded.

Hey, so I've had a sheltered life...🙁

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Probably Flutie's last minute heave for Boston College against Bernie Kosar and Miami.  I am referring to 'viewed live', be it in person or on live television.

For 'live', it would have to be Moises Alou throwing out a runner at home at Pilot Field from against the wall in right field.  The funny thing is, I cannot remember if he was still with the Bisons, or if he was playing for Indianapolis, Montreal's AAA club where he was traded.

hey thanks for posting what you saw live vs on TV.  I have a couple that were live. Of course on TV it is a bit hard to choose Ive seen a lot of sporting events both NFL and college, MLB.

anyway The most memorable dramatic I witnessed was a game Ive written about before. It was MNF held in Rich stadium 1974. The Bills against the LA Raiders. Ferguson to Ahmad Rashad in my endzone right in front of me FTW in such exciting fashion the stadium nearly SHOOK from the celebration. it was incredible being there to feel it in person

for my watched unfold  I have to go with the Miracle on Ice. USA beating the Russians in ice hockey beating the heavy favorite in Lake Placid NY during the Olympics 1980 HOLY COW

The victory became one of the most iconic moments of the Games and in U.S. sports. Equally well-known was the television call of the final seconds of the game by Al Michaels for ABC, in which he declared: "Do you believe in miracles? YES!" In 1999, Sports Illustrated named the "Miracle on Ice" the top sports moment of the 20th century.[8] As part of its centennial celebration in 2008, the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) named the "Miracle on Ice" as the best international ice hockey story of the past 100 years.[9]

Edited by muppy

9 minutes ago, muppy said:

for my watched unfold  I have to go with the Miracle on Ice. USA beating the Russians in ice hockey beating the heavy favorite in Lake Placid NY during the Olympics 1980 HOLY COW

This ^^^^^  Whatr a moment for that team and the entirety of the United States.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I went through a period I was interested in tennis.  This was probably the best match I ever watched.  1996 US Open.  Sampras was rated number #1 but was pushed to his limits by Alex Correjta.  5th set, 6-6 tiebreaker he started throwing up on the court but still managed to get the win.

I was rooting for Alex watching this just because he was the underdog but appreciate Pete's effort to pull it out.

This was an epic match— I remember watching it too.

in terms of other tennis drama, I remember watching Jimmy Connors’ run at the US Open in I think 1991. 

5 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I was texting with some buddies about Kirk Gibson’s game-winning home run in GW 1 of the 1988 World Series. It then dawned on me that that may have been the single most dramatic sports moment I ever saw.

A close second is probably Christian Laittener in 1992 at the buzzer over Kentucky. 

Fitz and Co. beating the Raiders in 2011

I'm assuming you meant love in person

The most dramatic sports moment I saw live was in Oakland in 2002. The A's had won 19 games in a row, had an 11-5 lead against Kansas City in the 5th inning, and KC chipped away to tie it 11-11 in the 9th. Enter Scott Hatteberg, and the rest is history. I was sitting in the front row of the left field bleachers when the homer happened. 

"Live" on TV...

1987 NCAA Men's BB Championship - Syracuse vs Indiana, SU loses on last second jump shot by Keith Smart, saw it at the restaurant/bar I was working for in High School

2003 NCAA Men's BB Championship - Syracuse vs Kansas, SU wins on one Hakim Warrick blocked 3-point attempt by Michael Lee and a missed 3-point attempt by Kirk Hinrich in the last 2 seconds of the game, got to see it in the Carrier Dome with hundreds of other fans

Live in person

Bills vs Dolphins, December 1995, seeing my first game at Rich Stadium, Bills win, sending them into the playoffs again, former Buffalo Bill Dean Cain on the sidelines, just a great day overall 

Edited by Just Jack

Live in person: Kirby Puckett’s walk-off HR in the 11th inning of game 6 of the 1991 World Series forcing the decisive game 7 the next night. I as at that game as well: Jack Morris’ 10 inning shutout gem of the Braves to win it all. Unbelievable 24 hours for this lifelong Twins fan. 

Edited by Tony P
  • Like (+1) 1

I could go with Ahmad Rashad catching the winning TD vs the Raiders on Monday Night Football, or some NCAA Tournament games that were insane. USA Olympic Hockey in 1980, so many options. 

I’ll go with this, because it was dramatic, and it was a moment: Our younger son played AAU (up a year) and rec league baseball. He was a very capable player at short stop. The kid at third had been hit in the head by a pitch to end the previous game. First inning and a ball gets popped up to third. Everybody there could sense the dread this kid had after getting hit. My son slid over, slowly put his right hand on the left shoulder of the kid at third, and caught the ball. Threw it back in, the game went on but it was my favorite thing I ever saw one of my kids do in all their years of sports, and they were really good. Better to be good at life than at sports. 

Edited by Augie

12 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Edit: can be either live or on TV. 

That was something.  I can only imagine if that had been game 7.

2 hours ago, Tony P said:

Live in person: Kirby Puckett’s walk-off HR in the 11th inning of game 6 of the 1991 World Series forcing the decisive game 7 the next night. I as at that game as well: Jack Morris’ 10 inning shutout gem of the Braves to win it all. Unbelievable 24 hours for this lifelong Twins fan. 

That's epic!

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

That was something.  I can only imagine if that had been game 7.

it was like out of a movie, like The Natural. Gibson couldn’t walk and it was clear all day that he wouldn’t be available to play.  He then comes in against the best closer of all time (who never gave up home runs), and hit the GW HR! 

Even though that was Game 1, I still contend that it totally changed the entire series. Momentum totally shifted. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.