Field Yates - "I truly believe there's no scarier player to defend in 2022 than JA."

BillsFan619

6 hours ago, Playoffs? said:

I think the question was top scariest to defend in 2022. To me, it’s Allen, Mahomes, and then Rodgers. 

Allen is ascending, which is scary enough… and literally can do it ALL.  He played a perfect game against NE in the playoffs, and he was a one-man machine against KC (not to take anything away from Gabe Davis).  

Mahomes is incredible… but you throw a 7 yard in route to Tyreek Hill, and watch him go. Or let Kelce do his thing to defenses. Point being, compared to Allen, I don’t think Mahomes has to do as much himself for his team to win…. But it’s close. 

Rodgers is a beast and maybe throws the best ball in football, but he’s not as multidimensional as Allen… and Rodgers’ best days MAY be behind him, while I believe Allen’s are ahead. 

Listen to Jordan Poyer talk to Tyreek Hill. He mentions facing Rodgers, Brady, and Mahomes. He said you have to be perfect defensively when facing them.

That is what I would call scary. Allen was at that level of QBing in the playoffs last year. When he’s at his best he’s unstoppable but I think he’s still getting to that point of consistency.  

Im always going to be a tough grader of QBs. Putting a QB above all time great QBs is tough when he’s yet to earn it.

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Listen to Jordan Poyer talk to Tyreek Hill. He mentions facing Rodgers, Brady, and Mahomes. He said you have to be perfect defensively when facing them.

That is what I would call scary. Allen was at that level of QBing in the playoffs last year. When he’s at his best he’s unstoppable but I think he’s still getting to that point of consistency.  

Im always going to be a tough grader of QBs. Putting a QB above all time great QBs is tough when he’s yet to earn it.

I hear you… but you can also ask Bill Belichick what it’s like to defend against Allen..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

not a fan of Lamar,  think he lacks in complete field awareness when it comes to the passing game.   he's a terror with his legs though.   healthy,  he and Josh are the 2 biggest threats in the league.     Josh is consistent,  runs like a linebacker,  can use the whole field in the passing game.   Lamar is a highlight reel TD waiting to happen on any given play with his legs.   if i were a defender,  id be scared of both of them.

if i had to pick a young QB to build a franchise around,  id take JA17 over anybody else, everytime.   ive seen more than enough.

On 7/16/2022 at 6:13 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

There is no chance Josh Allen is scarier than Aaron Rodgers.

I have no problem putting him 2nd though. Rodgers is on a different planet.

How many points did the Packers score when they got bounced by Jimmy G led 49ers?  A QB they are now trying to get rid of by the way...

Bills averaged 41.5 points per game in the playoffs this year.  Josh Allen had 9 TD's, 0 turnovers and in one game had more TD"s than incompletions.  Josh Allen is 2nd in NFL history to only Dan Marino for most TD's thus far through his career.  He has one of the highest playoff QB ratings in history.  

So, while I don't really have a problem if someone still finds Rodgers scarier (which lets be honest, has probably more to do with resume than where they are today as QB's) than Allen because he is still elite.  But to flat out state there is no chance Allen is scarier than Rodgers highly suggests you seem to think there is this wide gap between, which IMHO is completely wrong.  

There is not one single thing Rodgers can do that Allen can not also do.  BUT...there are multiple things that Allen can do that Rodgers not only cant do today, but never could do at any point in his career. 

Allen can make every throw Rodgers can and probably a couple Rodgers cant.  Allen make plays with his legs that not only Rodgers cant, but no QB in the NFL can make, not even Lamar.  

So when the question is about who is scarier to defend...its easy to see why someone would say Allen, because there is a lot more you have to defend when facing Allen than Rodgers.  And quite frankly, I will add in that Allen is also better at motivating his teammates and making everyone around him better...where Rodgers will immediately throw teammates under the bus after a loss, just like the Niners loss last year in the post game press conference.  

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

How many points did the Packers score when they got bounced by Jimmy G led 49ers?  A QB they are now trying to get rid of by the way...

Bills averaged 41.5 points per game in the playoffs this year.  Josh Allen had 9 TD's, 0 turnovers and in one game had more TD"s than incompletions.  Josh Allen is 2nd in NFL history to only Dan Marino for most TD's thus far through his career.  He has one of the highest playoff QB ratings in history.  

So, while I don't really have a problem if someone still finds Rodgers scarier (which lets be honest, has probably more to do with resume than where they are today as QB's) than Allen because he is still elite.  But to flat out state there is no chance Allen is scarier than Rodgers highly suggests you seem to think there is this wide gap between, which IMHO is completely wrong.  

There is not one single thing Rodgers can do that Allen can not also do.  BUT...there are multiple things that Allen can do that Rodgers not only cant do today, but never could do at any point in his career. 

Allen can make every throw Rodgers can and probably a couple Rodgers cant.  Allen make plays with his legs that not only Rodgers cant, but no QB in the NFL can make, not even Lamar.  

So when the question is about who is scarier to defend...its easy to see why someone would say Allen, because there is a lot more you have to defend when facing Allen than Rodgers.  And quite frankly, I will add in that Allen is also better at motivating his teammates and making everyone around him better...where Rodgers will immediately throw teammates under the bus after a loss, just like the Niners loss last year in the post game press conference.  

I’m not trying to battle here, allen > Rodgers…..but using that game is a tough go imo.  The weather in that game was terrible, the niners defense was very good. Their pass rush had their way with the Green Bay oL.  Under pressure all game.  No Bahktiari, no jenkins, no scantling, Dillon got hurt and missed the 2nd half.  And they were facing the 2nd best DL in the league.  Bosa and Armstead and were feasting that game each with 2 sacks and 2 qb hits

Missing 2 all pro OL-  remember the last game Dion Dawkins missed?  I’m sure you do.  

It’s just an unfair statement imo.  

23 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m not trying to battle here, allen > Rodgers…..but using that game is a tough go imo.  The weather in that game was terrible, the niners defense was very good. Their pass rush had their way with the Green Bay oL.  Under pressure all game.  No Bahktiari, no jenkins, no scantling, Dillon got hurt and missed the 2nd half.  And they were facing the 2nd best DL in the league.  Bosa and Armstead and were feasting that game each with 2 sacks and 2 qb hits

Missing 2 all pro OL-  remember the last game Dion Dawkins missed?  I’m sure you do.  

It’s just an unfair statement imo.  

That’s fair enough, but at the same time had Josh Allen been in that game his ability with his legs could have opened a lot more opportunities.  More just pointing out that Rodgers is as human as any other QB to the person I was replying to/. And Allen possesses skills other don’t that can lend to countering those tougher defense too.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

That’s fair enough, but at the same time had Josh Allen been in that game his ability with his legs could have opened a lot more opportunities.  More just pointing out that Rodgers is as human as any other QB to the OP.  And Allen possesses skills other don’t that can lend to countering those tougher defense too.

💯 Josh is the undisputed scariest imo.  I’d probably put Herbert #2 tbh.  

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I agree Allen is the scariest for DCs to plan for heading into this year, and Herbert is up there too, but I’d still put Mahomes number 2.  I mean he is the closest to Josh Allen in terms of total scary package of passing, escaping, running, improvising, throwing on the run, and clutch factor.  

I feel like Allen and Mahomes are more like 1A and 1B.  

• Like (+1) 1

I’m interested to see how Mahomes makes out without Hill. I don’t believe an offence can lose a unique talent like that and not have it show. Andy Reid will look to compensate imo using the strengths of other players within his well known ability to tweek/innovate his basic WC scheme but bottom line I think PMs job just got a lot harder. One elite player can make a big difference to an offence including one led by an elite QB. JaMarr Chase/Joe Burrow. 
I think that by years end Josh Allen stands a very good chance of being recognized as the #1 player in the game. To me his prospects for accomplishing that exceed any other players. 

Edited by starrymessenger

On 7/19/2022 at 10:39 AM, NewEra said:

I'd still have Mahomes #2 behind Josh. Herbert hast he potential to get to #2 though. He just doesn't seem to make something out of nothing as often as Allen and Mahomes though. Unless I just haven't watched enough of his games. It feels like his secondary reaction and "wow" plays are fewer than Allen and Mahomes. 

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

On 7/19/2022 at 1:39 PM, NewEra said:

Herbert has become very overrated. Really good player but what big wins does he really have? It’s a team game I know but He’s striking me as one of those stat monster which really don’t matter in the long run.  That said, they are really loaded this year and could be a major problem, 

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Herbert has become very overrated. Really good player but what big wins does he really have? It’s a team game I know but He’s striking me as one of those stat monster which really don’t matter in the long run.  That said, they are really loaded this year and could be a major problem, 

Did you watch their defense play last year? When he’s had to make plays, he has usually responded.  Then his defense fails.  

I won’t hold him accountable for their failures.  His rookie year, his OL was pretty bad.  Much improved last year and he threw for 5000 yards.  

I certainly may be jumping the gun rating him #2 over Mahomes.  He doesn’t deserve it.  He just really impresses me

Edited by NewEra

28 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I'd still have Mahomes #2 behind Josh. Herbert hast he potential to get to #2 though. He just doesn't seem to make something out of nothing as often as Allen and Mahomes though. Unless I just haven't watched enough of his games. It feels like his secondary reaction and "wow" plays are fewer than Allen and Mahomes. 

Yeah you could be right.  I’ve watched several of his “all the throws” videos and and have seen a bunch, but def not as many as pats and Josh.  It was also his first two years…..Josh wasnt making those plays in year 1 and 2 in abundance like he did in 3 and 4.

On 7/17/2022 at 5:14 PM, Stank_Nasty said:

Rodgers has been absolutely phenomenal the last 2 regular seasons. He 100% deserved that award each of the last 2 seasons. Let’s not forget it’s a regular season award and it went to exactly who it should have.

…. And that’s not me taking anything away from our guy. Whom I absolutely love and would pick over ANY qb going into the next decade. 

IIRC, A A Ron was in a slump stinking up the joint. 

So when he gets out of his slump and back to “normal” is MVP worthy?

It’s still kind of a popularity contest where the rules change slightly. 

😜 

33 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

IIRC, A A Ron was in a slump stinking up the joint. 

So when he gets out of his slump and back to “normal” is MVP worthy?

It’s still kind of a popularity contest where the rules change slightly. 

😜

This couldn’t be more off the mark IMO. He didn’t just get back to normal. He’s been absolutely brilliant the last 2 regular seasons even for his hall of fame standards. 

2020 josh absolutely had an MVP caliber season. And honestly in most any other years I believe he wins it. It was just bad luck having Rodgers go completely nuclear in the same season. In 2021 josh had plenty of hype and was in every betting books top 3 for MVP odds heading into the season. He lost it due to inconsistent play and his efficiency taking a hit. Not for being unpopular…. This is all pretty obvious stuff IMO. 

All that being said I truly believe, when all is said and done, our guy will have a couple of MVP’s on his mantle when he hangs it up. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

This couldn’t be more off the mark IMO. He didn’t just get back to normal. He’s been absolutely brilliant the last 2 regular seasons even for his hall of fame standards. 

2020 josh absolutely had an MVP caliber season. And honestly in most any other years I believe he wins it. It was just bad luck having Rodgers go completely nuclear in the same season. In 2021 josh had plenty of hype and was in every betting books top 3 for MVP odds heading into the season. He lost it due to inconsistent play and his efficiency taking a hit. Not for being unpopular…. This is all pretty obvious stuff IMO. 

All that being said I truly believe, when all is said and done, our guy will have a couple of MVP’s on his mantle when he hangs it up. 

Agree 100%.  Allen wins the MVP in 2020 if Rodgers didn't have a nearly perfect season.  Just how the cookie crumbles.  Same goes for last year's BUF/KC playoff game.  99 times out of 100, if a QB performs like Allen did, that team wins ... handily.  Unfortunately, Mahomes kept up.

Josh's time will come.  And so will the Bills'.  

• Agree 1

On 7/16/2022 at 10:27 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Imagine Bills fans getting angry because someone says Aaron Rodgers is better than Josh Allen?

The good thing is Josh is actually in that conversation. People can make legitimate arguments why Josh is better.

But I’m sorry, he’s not better than Aaron Rodgers, yet.

Maybe it's your wording.  No chance?  Rodgers was crap against SF.  Oh there's a very real, very good chance Josh is better. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.