Dion Dawkins

OldTimer1960

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

He must be looking normal or better for him, otherwise why is he modeling for the camera in some of these.

I do wonder if these olinemen have to really put on weight (sometimes over muscle) to bulk up as much as they can?

I mean, look how many of these retired offensive linemen lose ridiculous amounts of weight almost immediately after retirement (Eric Wood and Jeff Saturday come immediately to mind.) Many of them certainly focus on keeping weight up while playing.

athletes come in all shapes and sizes.  Fat man Kyle Williams was the best athlete on those Bills teams.  OL don't look like athletes, but they certainly are. Dion would beat me and most all of us in a foot race, he most likely has higher vertical, and hes built like a strong man contest.  All NFL players are freak athletes, even OL

Dion Dawkins NFL Combine Stats

Guard | Temple | American Athletic Conference | Division I-FBS

Player Info

First Name:Dion

Last Name:Dawkins

Nickname:

Position:Guard

College:Temple

Draft Class:2017

Draft Age:23.0

Measurables

Height:75.88 inches

Weight:314 pounds

BMI:39.27

Arm Length:35.00 inches

Hand Size:9.88 inches

Wingspan:85.000 inches

Birthdate:4/26/1994

NFL Combine Scores

40 Yard Dash:5.11 seconds

40 Yard (MPH):16.01 (MPH)

20 Yard Split:2.94 seconds

10 Yard Split:1.79 seconds

Bench Press:26 reps (225 lb)

Wonderlic:12 (0-50)

QB Ball Velocity:(N/A) (MPH)

Vertical Leap:26.0 inches

Broad Jump:106 inches

20 Yd Shuttle:4.78 seconds

Three Cone:7.30 seconds

Shuttle Split:(N/A) seconds

60 Yd Shuttle:(N/A) seconds

Four Square:(N/A) seconds

Pro Day Scores

Pro Day Date:3/8/2017

40 Yard Dash:(N/A) seconds

40 Yard (MPH):(N/A) (MPH)

20 Yard Split:(N/A) seconds

10 Yard Split:(N/A) seconds

Bench Press:(N/A) reps (225 lb)

Vertical Leap:28.0 inches

Weight:314 lbs

Broad Jump:(N/A) inches

Arm Length:35 inches

20 Yd Shuttle:(N/A) seconds

Three Cone:(N/A) seconds

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Looking at some fairly recent offseason photos, Dion Dawkins looks like someone’s Grandpa visited practice.  I understand that he might be very strong under that excess weight, but disappointing that the LT on a highly touted team looks so out of shape.

See photo 3: https://www.buffalobills.com/photos/photos-best-of-weight-room#aceb082e-139d-4521-bcf8-0d85d6f2f2b0

https://www.buffalobills.com/photos/photos-best-of-2022-offseason#ffdaee1b-6408-4e51-bf0f-5789a7b84930

https://www.buffalobills.com/photos/photos-best-of-weight-room#a55ce245-23ac-45f0-aa93-362a5f1d9a2a

https://www.buffalobills.com/photos/photos-best-of-2022-offseason#d3a4386e-d365-40f1-ac45-df8f998e915e

Slow Bills news time .. 

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

I mean, look how many of these retired offensive linemen lose ridiculous amounts of weight almost immediately after retirement (Eric Wood and Jeff Saturday come immediately to mind.) Many of them certainly focus on keeping weight up while playing.

agreed. I used to play at some golf tournaments with some retired NFL players. You couldn’t even tell who the linemen were. The guys that are health conscious know once they retire, they need to drop the 10,000 calories per day, and return to a normal human size.

What’s sort of crazy to think is that back in the 1970s and earlier, you had mostly normal sized guys play offensive line— 250 pounders.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I had it from a very good source last year that the Bills did have concerns about Dion's conditioning and that was pre the covid incident. Not saying that means they are again, but I do think he is a young man who has to be careful because he seems to put on weight easily. It is another reason why I still think the Bills shouldn't pass an opportunity to draft a left tackle if a good prospect falls to them in rounds 1 or 2 (thought that this year, think it again next) because if the weight thing does become more of an issue as Dion gets older you can transition him inside to guard where you can get away with it a little easier. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I had it from a very good source last year that the Bills did have concerns about Dion's conditioning and that was pre the covid incident. Not saying that means they are again, but I do think he is a young man who has to be careful because he seems to put on weight easily. It is another reason why I still think the Bills shouldn't pass an opportunity to draft a left tackle if a good prospect falls to them in rounds 1 or 2 (thought that this year, think it again next) because if the weight thing does become more of an issue as Dion gets older you can transition him inside to guard where you can get away with it a little easier. 

Was your source your eyes? It was obvious he was out of shape.

That said, Dawkins has been very consistent. Last year was a strange year. He was terrible the 1st half or so of the season, probably due to Covid and conditioning. He’s never been less than an above average LT. So I felt he’d rebound as the year went on and continue being that above average LT that he’s always been.

He turned into a dominant LT towards the end of the season. I’m not sure what changed but he went to a different level of play. There’s absolutely no worries with Dawkins other than his conditioning early last year. I’m anxious to see where he goes this year. Does he fall back to being above average or does he continue where he left off last year playing like a top 10 LT?

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

4 hours ago, Steptide said:

I feel like we went through this exact same thing last off season

That’s because we did…, 

Some dudes are just built different. Don't tell this guy about Roy Nelson. You'd think logic would prevail though in that he was great at the end of last season with the same physique, because you're not changing that much in 6 months. He'll be fine.

Oh my God! A fat offensive lineman! Stop the presses! (For those that don’t understand this reference, back in olden times presses were used to print things called newspapers, if there was was shocking or breaking news they would stop printing to add new incredible news)

One week, just one more week

Edited by chris heff

19 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Looking at some fairly recent offseason photos, Dion Dawkins looks like someone’s Grandpa visited practice.  I understand that he might be very strong under that excess weight, but disappointing that the LT on a highly touted team looks so out of shape.

See photo 3: https://www.buffalobills.com/photos/photos-best-of-weight-room#aceb082e-139d-4521-bcf8-0d85d6f2f2b0

https://www.buffalobills.com/photos/photos-best-of-2022-offseason#ffdaee1b-6408-4e51-bf0f-5789a7b84930

https://www.buffalobills.com/photos/photos-best-of-weight-room#a55ce245-23ac-45f0-aa93-362a5f1d9a2a

https://www.buffalobills.com/photos/photos-best-of-2022-offseason#d3a4386e-d365-40f1-ac45-df8f998e915e

Suggestions?  Hire Gettleman as dining hall monitor?

"DAWKINS!  ONE TRIP THROUGH THE FOOD LINE!  AND ONE JELLO ONLY!"

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think you’re right I think I left tackle is definitely in the cards soon cornerback was just such a high need at a perfect position this past year and cook looks like a really fun player but I think they did address right tackle pretty well and left tackle is on the horizon even with dawkins playing well

20 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

When I go through this, I see photos of Settle, Quessenberry, Emili, lots of others and I think there's a really good reason that OLs and interior DLs don't generally take their shirts off in public. They have to eat huge, they're expected to be really large. None of them are cut or slender.

I don't say this doesn't worry me at all. But unless there's specific problems going forward about this, it will worry me no more than the other dozens of small worries. 

These guys generally look a lot like this.

17 hours ago, Pete said:

athletes come in all shapes and sizes.  Fat man Kyle Williams was the best athlete on those Bills teams.  OL don't look like athletes, but they certainly are. Dion would beat me and most all of us in a foot race, he most likely has higher vertical, and hes built like a strong man contest.  All NFL players are freak athletes, even OL

Dion Dawkins NFL Combine Stats

Guard | Temple | American Athletic Conference | Division I-FBS

Player Info

First Name:Dion

Last Name:Dawkins

Nickname:

Position:Guard

College:Temple

Draft Class:2017

Draft Age:23.0

Measurables

Weight:314 pounds

BMI:39.27

Arm Length:35.00 inches

Wingspan:85.000 inches

Birthdate:4/26/1994

NFL Combine Scores

40 Yard Dash:5.11 seconds

40 Yard (MPH):16.01 (MPH)

20 Yard Split:2.94 seconds

10 Yard Split:1.79 seconds

Bench Press:26 reps (225 lb)

Wonderlic:12 (0-50)

QB Ball Velocity:(N/A) (MPH)

Vertical Leap:26.0 inches

Broad Jump:106 inches

20 Yd Shuttle:4.78 seconds

Three Cone:7.30 seconds

Shuttle Split:(N/A) seconds

60 Yd Shuttle:(N/A) seconds

Four Square:(N/A) seconds

Pro Day Scores

Pro Day Date:3/8/2017

40 Yard Dash:(N/A) seconds

40 Yard (MPH):(N/A) (MPH)

20 Yard Split:(N/A) seconds

10 Yard Split:(N/A) seconds

Bench Press:(N/A) reps (225 lb)

Vertical Leap:28.0 inches

Weight:314 lbs

Broad Jump:(N/A) inches

Arm Length:35 inches

20 Yd Shuttle:(N/A) seconds

Three Cone:(N/A) seconds

That a pro athlete getting paid to work out in a gym with top training is likely faster/stronger/jumpier than us is not a point worth making.

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

That a pro athlete getting paid to work out in a gym with top training is likely faster/stronger/jumpier than us is not a point worth making.

a 314# man that can out jump you and beat you in a race certainly is a point worth making.  It defies physics.  99% of 300#+ citizens cannot beat me in a race or out jump me.  The ones that can are in the NFL

All OL carry extra weight. Some of them have a hard time keeping it on because some dudes might be naturally "big" in the sense that they're like 6'5" and just a large human but aren't on the heavy side. Look at Eric Wood, dude was hefty in his playing days, now he all fit and trim. The extra weight on Dion just makes his physique look a little different, that's all. The thing that stood out to me in that third photo that OP wanted us to look at is the dude's wingspan. Look at dem things...and I believe some scouts figured he'd be a guard at the NFL level due to "short arms" or whatever, maybe he was like a 32nd of an inch under the average for a tackle or something. Either way, the dude plays like a beast, he's a captain and a leader and one of the top players on the team.

3 hours ago, Pete said:

a 314# man that can out jump you and beat you in a race certainly is a point worth making.  It defies physics.  99% of 300#+ citizens cannot beat me in a race or out jump me.  The ones that can are in the NFL

yeah---that's the part that's not worth pointing out, as I said....

They were selected for this trait. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.