Division winner poll #2  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the AFC South?

• Indianapolis
    • Tennessee
    • Jacksonville
    • Houston

24 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

You were pointing out how Tennessee caught Indy napping twice last year. I was just pointing out how I don’t think Matt Ryan would be enough to change the outcome.

I don’t think that Tenn will beat Indy twice this year.

Jonathan Taylor is an elite back with an elite OL. Ryan can find one on ones and make accurate throws. He will turn the ball over like Wentz. The Colts WRs & TEs are good, not great. Defensive secondary has been weakness, along with lack of pressure by DL on 3rd down. 11-6.

Houston - is rebuilding. 3-14. 

Titans - have an elite RB getting high on mileage, coming off a major foot injury. Tannehill doesn’t make a lot of mistakes, and is dangerous in PA, screen game, and can still scramble if not contained in the pocket. Not many pass catching weapons.  7-10.

Jaguars - have a QB who we were told could be a difference maker, a RB coming back from an injury missed rookie season, and a defense that limited Josh Allen to 6 points and 3 turnovers. The maturation of this team means they will be a tougher out in 2022, similar to the Jets. Not yet a complete team with a QB that has potential but still needs time to learn how to beat NFL defenses consistently. 9-8. 

21 minutes ago, eball said:

I think Tennessee takes a step back this season.  Houston and Jacksonville will both be better (although not good).  It’s Indy’s division to lose unless Matty Ice suddenly looks old.

Matt Ryan could probably be an effective game manager behind that OL. Besides their offense runs thru JT anyway. 

On 7/16/2022 at 4:54 PM, H2o said:

I'm going with the Colts. They have the better defense and Ryan is a clear upgrade over Wentz. Tannehill is going to feel the loss of AJ Brown as well. I know Derrick Henry is a freak of nature, but even his body will break down if they keep giving him 400+ carries a season. 

Well written.  Wentz screwed that team up down the stretch.  Ryan is not washed up, but played on a horrible team that imploded since theIR SB run.  You’re right, it’s almost Henry watch as he will eventually break down like CMC, Shawn Alexander, Priest Homes, and so on.  I kind of wished we would get TN late in the season as I seriously doubt Henry will make it all 18 weeks.

Indy has the running game, but a developing passing game, and Reich (not just because he’s a folk hero in Buffalo) is a d$mn good coach.  He proved that in San Diego and Philly.

My WAG is the following:

East:  Bills (of course)

South:  Colts

North:  Ravens

West:  Chiefs

3 other playoff teams:

Broncos

Chargers

Bengals

Just missing:

Raiders

Titans

Steelers

Browns (I expect at least 6-8 games suspension and possibly the whole year.  If so, the wildcard is an offer for Garoppolo and the rest of the team is good.  The Browns have the most cap space with an extra $48 mil. with the top 51).

6 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Well written.  Wentz screwed that team up down the stretch.  Ryan is not washed up, but played on a horrible team that imploded since theIR SB run.  You’re right, it’s almost Henry watch as he will eventually break down like CMC, Shawn Alexander, Priest Homes, and so on.  I kind of wished we would get TN late in the season as I seriously doubt Henry will make it all 18 weeks.

Indy has the running game, but a developing passing game, and Reich (not just because he’s a folk hero in Buffalo) is a d$mn good coach.  He proved that in San Diego and Philly.

My WAG is the following:

East:  Bills (of course)

South:  Colts

North:  Ravens

West:  Chiefs

3 other playoff teams:

Broncos

Chargers

Bengals

Just missing:

Raiders

Titans

Steelers

Browns (I expect at least 6-8 games suspension and possibly the whole year.  If so, the wildcard is an offer for Garoppolo and the rest of the team is good.  The Browns have the most cap space with an extra $48 mil. with the top 51).

Good picks. I would replace the Chiefs with the Chargers. I think this is the year LAC finally wins the West. Losing Hill will be a big blow to the Chiefs offense. If (and its a big if) the fish get halfway decent QB play I wouldn't rule them out for a WC spot.

On 7/16/2022 at 10:05 PM, Victory Formation said:

Vrabel is truly an underrated coach and Tannehill is a frustratingly good QB. Almost like Pennington was with the Jets. When he gets into a rhythm, it’s like the guy never misses a pass. Titans also have a very good defense and a very good run game. 

As far as Indy goes, it’s hard to say whether or not Matt Ryan is a good QB anymore. It could be a similar situation to what Matt Stafford was in with the Lions but I just don’t know.

I do think the Titans are a legitimate team and a contender and honestly I think they’re one of those teams that Buffalo matches up poorly against.

Vrabel is an A+ coach.

I have been the ultimate Tennessee defender on these boards when every year Bills fans forecast a step back, but this year, they will take a step back IMO. I will start with I do not believe Vrabel is an A+ coach. He might be an A+ motivator, but their Xs and Os are not always where they need to be. They have question marks on the offensive line and they lost their best offensive player in AJ Brown. People talk about Henry beating the Bills and sure the last two years he has had a highlight play in each game - the stiff arm to Norman and the long TD run last year - but it has been their failure to shut down AJ Brown (7 for 82 and 7 for 91) both times that has allowed the Titans to sustain drives. Their only vet receiver of any note is Robert Woods, age 30, coming back off an ACL and while I was higher on Treylon Burks than many it is a big ask for a rookie receiver to pick up that much slack. 

I don't think they are going to fall off a cliff, they will be in the playoff race for my money, and I really respect Jon Robinson as one of the most underrated GMs in football. I think they had a nice re-stock draft, but not a lot of guys I expect to have massive impacts on 2022. I just think they will lack the offensive talent, both up front and out wide to regularly score 30 points. 

I think Indy did remarkably well last year to win the games they did with Carson Wentz. Hell of a job to hide how bad he is for most of the season, but you saw in the last two weeks when the Raiders and Jaguars sold out on making Wentz beat them what an absolute tire fire he is. Matt Ryan is not his old self but he is better than that. 

Close division race, with Jacksonville being better than expected too. I think when I ran a predictor last week I had the Colts taking it at 10-7, the Titans 9-8 and the Jags 8-9. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Greg S said:

Good picks. I would replace the Chiefs with the Chargers. I think this is the year LAC finally wins the West. Losing Hill will be a big blow to the Chiefs offense. If (and its a big if) the fish get halfway decent QB play I wouldn't rule them out for a WC spot.

Greg, these we’re harder guesses than previous years.  The Chiefs and Chargers was a toss up.  We are so lucky Herbert wasn’t picked by Miami.  If Herbert on this Fins team either this talent would be a nightmare for us.

The Chargers picked up some awesome talent so I wouldn’t  be surprised if you’re right.  My goodness the AFC is loaded.  We’re really lucky we

are in the East as the other three aren’t even close to the Bills.  We need to hope for 6-0 in the division.  We have some tough opponents in the Bengals, Ravens, and of Jimmy G comes over

the Browns, Rams, TN, and the Chiefs.  

Greg, the good news is if we by some chance make it to 13-4, with that schedule, iron sharpens iron, and we will be battle hardened for the playoffs.  I’m really hopeful we finally are the #1 seed.

Based in the data the last couple of years, home field advantage is not what it used to be and Allen has an excellent away record.  Why I want it Just the week off, but the fans to get

to have two home games before AZ for the SB.  Arizona is awesome in the winter.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Greg, these we’re harder guesses than previous years.  The Chiefs and Chargers was a toss up.  We are so lucky Herbert wasn’t picked by Miami.  If Herbert on this Fins team either this talent would be a nightmare for us.

The Chargers picked up some awesome talent so I wouldn’t  be surprised if you’re right.  My goodness the AFC is loaded.  We’re really lucky we

are in the East as the other three aren’t even close to the Bills.  We need to hope for 6-0 in the division.  We have some tough opponents in the Bengals, Ravens, and of Jimmy G comes over

the Browns, Rams, TN, and the Chiefs.  

Greg, the good news is if we by some chance make it to 13-4, with that schedule, iron sharpens iron, and we will be battle hardened for the playoffs.  I’m really hopeful we finally are the #1 seed.

Based in the data the last couple of years, home field advantage is not what it used to be and Allen has an excellent away record.  Why I want it Just the week off, but the fans to get

to have two home games before AZ for the SB.  Arizona is awesome in the winter.

Agree about that #1 seed. Normally I don't put much into home and road especially during the regular season. In the playoffs with McDermott the Bills are 0-4 on the road and 3-0 at home. So getting that #1 seed is important.

Edited by Greg S
  • Agree 1

Greg, I never tabulated that point of home vs. away for the Bills.  Then again the coincidence is we lost twice to the Chiefs and we just weren’t as good as now vs. the Texans.

I don’t know if it’s a home/away thing vs. the opponent.  The good sign is we destroyed the Chiefs in the regular season.  

A great sign is we obliterate the Titans and Chiefs in the regular season as well as hopefully on center stage beat even of close the Rams.  The entire nation will be watching that Thursday night.

Im thinking of taking the morning off Friday just to see every last minute and get a good nights sleep.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm taking Indy as the obvious choice because I think Matt Ryan with have somewhat of a resurgence and probably play similar to what Rivers did with them a few years ago and be more than enough to win that division and get back to the playoffs. Ten will still be solid and people will continue to doubt them but I definitely could see them falling off this year.

Jags are a true dark horse though IMO and I really believe Doug Peterson is going to make a world of difference there and have them around .500 at worse or even this years Bengals type of team if Laurence reaches his potential.

Tennessee. I don't like them, but it's a safe bet as long as once in a generation megafreak Derrick Henry is healthy. I think we'll at least see 1-2 more insane seasons as he solidifies himself as one of the best ever. Henry rumbling for 140+ per game and a couple of stiffarm TDs is an incredible advantage right now, he's unlike anything in the league. AJ Dillon might be the closest and he's not even in the same galaxy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.