Five Buffalo Bills on roster bubble with toughest path to 53-man roster going into training camp

BillsFan619

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

Tremai... oh wait wrong thread.

Is there such thing as a wrong thread for Tremaine?

Also, for what it’s worth, I’m on a plane to Buffalo right now and Boogie Basham is two rows back. Dude is enormous. Sitting in a middle seat, too.

And yes, in case you’re wondering, I gave him a “Go Bills”…

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, offyourocker said:

I think Haack is not on that list.  He is a goner.  No way they are not going with the rookie they drafted.  It is all window dressing right now when tehy say it is a competition.  

I’m not sure I agree.  Haack was bad last year for sure, but he has been a good NFL punter and Araiza is pretty raw.  I think Araiza will get the job, but more on potential than outperforming Haack in camp.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I’m not sure I agree.  Haack was bad last year for sure, but he has been a good NFL punter and Araiza is pretty raw.  I think Araiza will get the job, but more on potential than outperforming Haack in camp.

Actually, though, it's quite similar to Hauschka and Bass.  Unproven drafted high potential rookie, with some questions, up against a serviceable veteran who generally is good and consistent, but has let you down sometimes.   

Thinking about it, I'd guess that Beane wasn't burning the pick unless he had, with McDermott, a high degree of confidence that the rookie will be good enough in the short term and better in the long term.   And that's why Hauschka was gone so quickly, before the end of preseason.  The Bills bet on Bass because they had been pretty sure on Bass since the draft.   It's likely to be the same with Araiza.  

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Actually, though, it's quite similar to Hauschka and Bass.  Unproven drafted high potential rookie, with some questions, up against a serviceable veteran who generally is good and consistent, but has let you down sometimes.   

Thinking about it, I'd guess that Beane wasn't burning the pick unless he had, with McDermott, a high degree of confidence that the rookie will be good enough in the short term and better in the long term.   And that's why Hauschka was gone so quickly, before the end of preseason.  The Bills bet on Bass because they had been pretty sure on Bass since the draft.   It's likely to be the same with Araiza.  

I think it might be a bit different than Bass’ situation.  Bass showed in college that he could be consistent.  With Araiza, I think if he doesn’t get consistent hang time in practices and preseason it could leave the door open for Haack.  I *hope* that Araiza can get good consistent hang time and punt for better distance, but if he kicks too many low long ones he could be in trouble.

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Haack had some issues last year and not sure what it was - scheme, ST coaching, he tweaked something or what - but he needs to have been working on it with a private coach.

He did not have that problem before and he has kicked in cold/snow during away games.

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

49 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I think it might be a bit different than Bass’ situation.  Bass showed in college that he could be consistent.  With Araiza, I think if he doesn’t get consistent hang time in practices and preseason it could leave the door open for Haack.  I *hope* that Araiza can get good consistent hang time and punt for better distance, but if he kicks too many low long ones he could be in trouble.

It is not expected that Bills will have many UDFAs and late round picks making 53 man roster just like last year.

The Bills lost a number last year and so it Beane said "lets take a chance on the kid and if it does not work out Haack will hold position for a year."

Expanded practice squads are great but sometimes teams just end up training them for other teams when they cannot make 53 man roster.

6 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

Their list

1. Marquez Stevenson

2. Greg Van Roten

3. Duke Johnson

4. Cam Lewis

5. Matt Haack

Who's on your list?

Any surprise cuts?

9 days, mafia! Training camp is almost here.

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2022/07/5-buffalo-bills-on-roster-bubble-with-toughest-path-to-53-man-roster-in-2022.html

Cam Lewis will make it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Maynard said:

I think Moss is the odd man out this year and I don’t think he fits with our scheme anymore. 

Think we keep:

1. Singletary

2. Cook

3. Johnson

4. Jones

5. Gilliam 

You might be right Maynard.  The question is Johnson over Moss.  They want a 3rd and 1 or inches power driver as they already have their inside with Devin, and outside with Cook.  Jones is going nowhere this year with ST, and Gilliam is there for the hybrid FB/TE slot as he fits a role.  So Johnson or Moss?

I don’t have that answer as I don’t have enough on Johnson, but a good question.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I see it the same way, except I think from interviews and other investigation they already are pretty sure he will perform. 

These are my bottom 5

1. Barkley - It is stupid to carry 3 QBs when you have a franchise guy and Barkley has already shown he is not good enough

2. Haack - They are only keeping one punter obviously and it will be the rookie

3. Stevenson - he didn't show much last year and Austin can return kicks and play some WR if needed  

4. Gilliam - He has no talent at a position that is useless.  If they really wanted a FB, they could upgrade without difficulty. Hope this is the year they just get rid of him.  I would rather keep Taiwan to play special teams and I hate special teams only players.  

5. Doyle - OJ Howard is a legit 2nd TE and far superior blocker than Sweeney.  Doyle has no athletic ability to play OT.  There are far better OT options on the team now that can perhaps play some OG. One of them can play the third TE role Doyle did last year when needed.

5a. Kumerow - see OJ Howard above.  Howard gives you another guy they can split out wide when they want to show a power run formation.  Jones does more on special teams, and they are 6 deep at WR without Kumerow. I think they carry an extra CB and one less WR this year whiel White gets back in to playing shape.  

Ford and Epenesa still have a shot at the final roster. Ford has a new OL coach.  Epenesa has shown little but if they carry 9 or 10 DL again, he probably makes it. Sweeney has a small shot to make the roster but only if they get rid of Gilliam.  Sweeney does not have NFL talent but if he flashes in training camp or Howard is slow to pick up the offense he might make the final 53.  

Edited by Ethan in Portland
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Haack and Ford.  Maybe Ford to get to the PS, but e already know we have nothing with him, so take a shot developing another gem in the rough.  I’ve seen all I need from Ford.

Hey MGK!

I know you’ve been back in the TBD fold for a little while now but it’s good to see you contributing as much as you are again.

Good to have you back on a regular basis, bro.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Matt Haack is on an easy path.   His training camp is simple - come to camp and do what you do well - directional kicking and holding.   Whether you make the team has nothing to do with how good you are.   It's 100% about how good the other guy is.  If the other guy punts consistently and shows a knack for holding, well, you're gone.   If the other guy is just too inconsistent to be relied on yet, you have a shot.  Simple.

^^^^^ This.

And remember Gary Anderson. Nothing is a given in the kicking game.

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Cam Lewis will probably be stashed away on the practice squad unless there's an injury to a starter in preseason or Tre isn't on pace to be ready for week 1.

Van Roten has a chance to crack the final roster if Cody Ford is cut and Ike Boettger isn't fully recovered from his achilles injury.

Duke Johnson will be battling Zack Moss for the 3rd rb slot (but the Bills rarely keep 3 rb's active on game day)

I still don’t understand why only 47 players of a 53 man roster can be active.  What is that trying to accomplish? Testing A head coach’s roster management skills?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

You might be right Maynard.  The question is Johnson over Moss.  They want a 3rd and 1 or inches power driver as they already have their inside with Devin, and outside with Cook.  Jones is going nowhere this year with ST, and Gilliam is there for the hybrid FB/TE slot as he fits a role.  So Johnson or Moss?

I don’t have that answer as I don’t have enough on Johnson, but a good question.

I’m in complete agreement with you MGK. I think Jones and Gilliam are definite locks. It really comes down to Johnson vs Moss at the end of the day. Like I said I just feel that Johnson is a better scheme fit and I think they’ll value his veteran leadership. This leadership will be especially important for a young guy like Cook whom they’ve invested a 2nd round pick in.  But who’s the short yardage guy if Moss is out? I’m really not sure unless they roll with Gilliam for that or let Allen handle it. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.