I Watched SB 28 In Full Last Night, Thoughts & Analysis

corta765

Inspired by the thread on "Why Was Thurman So Bad In The Last 3 SBs" I made the brave slightly illogical decision of watching the Bills final SB loss. This truly was a game of two halves. Here are my thoughts on not only the game but how the sport itself has changed which was cool in many ways in sad in one:

-Lead up for the game had pageantry but man does the NFL do it to the max now. I actually miss the player introductions and coming out of the inflatable helmets it was a really cool thing. 

-Having no graphics on the screen outside of the play clock counting down was actually really nice. I would like to see that as an option in the future because it was much easier and less distracting to watch the game that way.

-OJ is here! (murders happened a few months later)

-They are really excited about the new Falcons stadium.... which is now gone haha.

-Dallas 100% was more athletic then the Bills defense and you could see that. But I have to give the Bills credit the D came to play that game

-Michael Irvin was a freak and made some big catches to move the sticks where he out muscled guys

-The Bills defense despite getting pushed down to the redzone twice early on did a great job holding Dallas to a FGs to keep it 6-0. Overall the Bills defense actually kept Buffalo in this game and didn't deserve to lose. The Cowboys scored 13 pts off turnover in which Dallas started in Buffalo territory or in the Thomas fumble was a TD return. Despite Dallas getting the go ahead TD to go up 20-13 Buffalo's defense actually stood in there until Kelly's INT early in the 4th. At that point you can see they finally were worn down and Dallas offensive line was finally being able to enforce their will. I think had Buffalo got it tied 20-20 the defense probably could've made it through the 4th as you could see they were waiting for some pick me up by the offense as they kept Dallas back.

-With that said Buffalo's strength 100% was their front 7, the secondary let some pretty big pass plays go through. The fact they hung in the way they did is a credit to the effort of the D and coaching

-With that said the game did change on the fumble to tie but it was not the way I expected. It 100% fired Dallas up but like I said the defense after allowing the TD to Dallas to go up 20-13 hung in there. The offense just gave up in a sense. Thurman was beyond despondent and I am surprised a teammate didn't punch him for how bad his attitude was. The Bills also did not finish drives. The fact they didn't attempt a TD at the end of the 1st half and just played for the FG was mind blowing. In general the first half felt like each team trading punches and the Bills landed a few that had Dallas back. Yes the game momentum 100% turned on the fumble, but I would argue it actually started with the Bills not getting a TD to go up 17-6. You could feel Dallas walking into half that they dodged a possible knockdown punch there.

-If I had watched that game live I would've thrown my TV remote in anger with the play calling in the 2nd half and in general. The 1st half the offense had tempo, but they played a very vanilla ten yards or less attack style for the most part. Kelly missed Beebe on a deep bomb and that was the only major deep pass that stuck with me. Buffalo's inability to test Dallas on mid range to long range passes certainly caught them in the 2nd half. The kept trying this stupid shovel pass which Thurman got maybe 2-3 yards each time. The best plays Buffalo had were either screen passes or slant routes that negated some of Dallas speed. The coaching staff never adjusted for the fact Dallas kept eating up misdirection plays like crazy.

-Please appreciate in general the level of passing we see today and the skill associated. Aikman had quite a few well thrown balls as did Jim, but in todays NFL they probably each would've been picked 2-3 times. The skill of the league and speed is just so much more noticeable now with how the game is played it is impressive to see the evolution.

-With that point both teams for being the peak of the league offensively in the early 90s really liked to run the ball right into the middle for 3-4 yards. It is 100% in the NFL's best interest it is a passing league now because it is more entertaining.

-Watching Bruce Smith manhandle guys made me think of Aaron Donald. The pure power and strength of both players is insane and Bruce 100% could play today and I do not doubt he would eat players all day.

-I am happy the NFL did adjust their headshot rules because there 100% are guys with CTE with how the game was played. I like hitting and I do not like the penalties on QBs now, watching the game Kelly and Aikman took hits that were perfectly fine but would be penalties today. That stinks and I wish we moved back a bit on, but the headshot stuff is 100% for the best to be gone.

-Don Beebe deserved the SB ring he got with GB for his effort in his time in BUF. The dude fought all game and his play stuck out as one of the few offensive players that actually did something and kept fighting to the end.

-On the flipside Marv Levy had the personality of a rock on the sideline. Especially in the 2nd half as the offense saw the floor collapse under them he realllyyyy needed to get some energy going. Has anyone ever said if he even talked to Thurman who on the sideline was borderline on suicide watch after the fumble? 

-Jim Kelly actually had a solid 1st half. He picked apart Dallas pretty well and had them off balance which negated their speed. Once Dallas got up and Thurman removed himself from the game Dallas pinned their ears back and attacked. If you have seen the movie The Replacements with Keanu Reaves he speaks about when things start going wrong its like quicksand. Watching Kelly in the second half I would apply that quote to his play. You can see he starts pressing rather then taking what he is given, but you can understand it after 3 SB losses and the position they are in. My greatest criticism for the coaching staff was not reeling him in a little and going off script with the game plan for some easy yardage plays like screens or quick passing plays. You watch and see he is trying so hard to make a play to keep the Bills in it but it isn't there. The INT in the 4th quarter that iced the game was 100% this in a nutshell.

-Emmitt Smiths greatest thing in this game was evading/breaking tackles which allowed him at the end of the game to finish Buffalo off. You could see the Bills didn't have the energy on D by the 4th and he was able to shake them with ease.

-The biggest sad change for me from the NFL is the crowd at the SB. When Buffalo scored the shout song is playing and it is a very loud audible crowd of Bills fans singing. When Dallas made their good plays or scored their fans were 100% into it. You do not get that anymore as it has become a rich corporate affair. It really stuck out to me that regular fans were in attendance and you could 100% hear and feel them. This is 100% a loss for the NFL and the fans of their teams.

-Final remark watching it back as a fan of the Bills was frustrating as you could see it was a game they 100% were in if not actually had control of for a while. It is a shame the offense never got out of its way in the 2nd half as they had their shot. With that said it was really cool to see though our guys in the big game and everything that went with it. Time has benefited the Bills of those days well with how they are now remember because they were a great team and deserve to be remembered so. On to 2022 and the Josh Allen SB train!

Edited by corta765
  • Like (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I would add that Levy got to conservative on offense at the end of the 1st half.  He should have gone all out to score a TD and go up 17 - 6 rather then settle for a FG.  When you lose 3 straight Super Bowls you throw all caution to the wind in the 4th SB.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I would add that Levy got to conservative on offense at the end of the 1st half.  He should have gone all out to score a TD and go up 17 - 6 rather then settle for a FG.  When you lose 3 straight Super Bowls you throw all caution to the wind in the 4th SB.

Yep I mentioned that up above that it felt like momentum wise you could feel even then Dallas took a breath of relief down just 7. It reallyyy was a bad call to not attack there and push Dallas on their heals out of half up 17-6. The offense in general played a ball control style as their only TD drive was 17 plays and 7:56 mins which helped the D. The second half Buffalo had a few drives they moved the ball and failed to convert with playing calling seemingly limiting what they chose to do.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

This may be considered sacrilege by some here, but switch out Jim Kelly with Josh Allen, and we win that game.

No one would argue that. Josh is more talented then Jim skill set wise. Like I said watching the talent difference between then and now is wild.

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

They kept trying this stupid shovel pass which Thurman got maybe 2-3 yards each time. The best plays Buffalo had were either screen passes or slant routes tht negated some of Dallas speed. The coaching staff never adjusted for the fact Dallas kept eating up misdirection plays like crazy.

Yeah.. I remember watching the game back in 94 getting frustrated with those shovel passes (I do not ever remember them doing that before that year or even in years previous to 93) because they were getting nothing out of it.  With that I said, I think it become common knowledge that through some media tape going into the game, Jimmy Johnson actually saw the Bill's practicing that play.. and he had the Cowboys ready for it.    Who knows what could've been if they didn't see that media tape....  

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

This may be considered sacrilege by some here, but switch out Jim Kelly with Josh Allen, and we win that game.

Let's see Allen live in a league where you could still hit the QB the way Jim got hit. He wouldn't be running nearly as much I promise you that.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Bills92 said:

Yeah.. I remember watching the game back in 94 getting frustrated with those shovel passes (I do not ever remember them doing that before that year or even in years previous to 93) because they were getting nothing out of it.  With that I said, I think it become common knowledge that through some media tape going into the game, Jimmy Johnson actually saw the Bill's practicing that play.. and he had the Cowboys ready for it.    Who knows what could've been if they didn't see that media tape....  

Even if JJ didn't see it wouldn't have taken long to figure it out lol.

Watching the tape back in a prism my greatest frustration was the coaching/offensive gameplan. Very vanilla and not very creative. Honestly even if Thurman didn't fumble I think Buffalo's offense would've got slowed down a bunch just because it wasn't very diversified compared to what Dallas was throwing against them. 

Just now, That's No Moon said:

Let's see Allen live in a league where you could still hit the QB the way Jim got hit. He wouldn't be running nearly as much I promise you that.

He also is bigger then most defensive players and back then may have been one of the fastest players in the league. It's why you can't compare era's, watching the game back it is much slower in comparison to right now. Not meant as criticism players have evolved and train to such a high level its wild what they physically can do. By comparison Kenny Davis was running a gas station summer of 93 lol.

3 minutes ago, Bills92 said:

Go Bills!

I do remember those shovel passes and I recall before the game there was a segment on the Bills and they talked about how they were going to do things differently and they showed them practicing and there was a shovel pass to Thurman in the segment. It was complete stupidity. I think teams were not as wary of guarding stuff back then. Now, thanks to Belichick, that is changed. 

Yep I mentioned that up above that it felt like momentum wise you could feel even then Dallas took a breath of relief down just 7. It realty was a bad call to not attack there and push Dallas on their heals out of half up 17-6. The offense in general played a ball control style as their only TD drive was 17 plays and 7:56 mins which helped the D. The second half Buffalo had a few drives they moved the ball and failed to convert with playing calling seemingly limiting what they chose to do.

That was a pretty good summary above.  What I find interesting is the 4 SB's were against teams from the NFC East that from my memory employed similar schemes.   Most prominently, the NFC teams won the physical game in the trenches on both sides of the ball.  And kept the Bills high-powered offense under wraps. 

Given that I'm always curious why across the 4 seasons the Bills front office and coaching staff failed to make any major scheme or personnel changes to address the flaws exposed in SB25 that carried through to the 2nd encounter with the Cowboys.  All  while employing completely transparent and predictable game plans and schemes with no surprises in each SB appearance. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, SF Bills Fan said:

I remember nothing from this game other than we were winning and driving with Dallas struggling to stop us and Thurman fumbled on what could have been a big gain and they scored and it was game over right there. 

^^^^ This, 100%

When that happened, the Bills demeanor changed. They started playing not to lose rather than playing to win! Death sentence.

Just now, All_Pro_Bills said:

That was a pretty good summary above.  What I find interesting is the 4 SB's were against teams from the NFC East that from my memory employed similar schemes.   Most prominently, the NFC teams won the physical game in the trenches on both sides of the ball.  And kept the Bills high-powered offense under wraps. 

Given that I'm always curious why across the 4 seasons the Bills front office and coaching staff failed to make any major scheme or personnel changes to address the flaws exposed in SB25 that carried through to the 2nd encounter with the Cowboys.  All  while employing completely transparent and predictable game plans and schemes with no surprises in each SB appearance. 

Free agency didn't take fold until I believe 93. Outside of trading for players you really just had the draft to build teams or free agent guys who were cut. When free agency came Buffalo was over the cap so even if they wanted a big run stuffer or to add size they really didn't have the ability without shedding talent and they tried to keep it together as long as possible.

1 minute ago, Fleezoid said:

^^^^ This, 100%

When that happened, the Bills demeanor changed. They started playing not to lose rather than playing to win! Death sentence.

Watching it back the offense played not to lose, the defense played pretty much the same and did all they could to keep the Bills in the game which they basically did until the INT 4th quarter. You could see Dallas offense was better then the Bills defense, but kinda like the current Rams who have some stars that float the rest up Talley, Bennett, and Bruce were able to make enough plays to not let Dallas make a ton of ground.

Of the 4 SB's this is the only one I would say one unit of the Bills probably deserved a better fate. Considering the defense was a middling unit that was use to playing from a lead not behind, they held Dallas to 13 pts until early/mid 4th quarter due to another Buffalo turnover. Not sure what else you could ask as they weren't the 85 Bears on that side either.

Inspired by the thread on "Why Was Thurman So Bad In The Last 3 SBs" I made the brave slightly illogical decision of watching the Bills final SB loss. This truly was a game of two halves. Here are my thoughts on not only the game but how the sport itself has changed which was cool in many ways in sad in one:

-Lead up for the game had pageantry but man does the NFL do it to the max now. I actually miss the player introductions and coming out of the inflatable helmets it was a really cool thing. 

-Having no graphics on the screen outside of the play clock counting down was actually really nice. I would like to see that as an option in the future because it was much easier and less distracting to watch the game that way.

-OJ is here! (murders happened a few months later)

-They are really excited about the new Falcons stadium.... which is now gone haha.

-Dallas 100% was more athletic then the Bills defense and you could see that. But I have to give the Bills credit the D came to play that game

-Michael Irvin was a freak and made some big catches to move the sticks where he out muscled guys

-The Bills defense despite getting pushed down to the redzone twice early on did a great job holding Dallas to a FGs to keep it 6-0. Overall the Bills defense actually kept Buffalo in this game and didn't deserve to lose. The Cowboys scored 13 pts off turnover in which Dallas started in Buffalo territory or in the Thomas fumble was a TD return. Despite Dallas getting the go ahead TD to go up 20-13 Buffalo's defense actually stood in there until Kelly's INT early in the 4th. At that point you can see they finally were worn down and Dallas offensive line was finally being able to enforce their will. I think had Buffalo got it tied 20-20 the defense probably could've made it through the 4th as you could see they were waiting for some pick me up by the offense as they kept Dallas back.

-With that said Buffalo's strength 100% was their front 7, the secondary let some pretty big pass plays go through. The fact they hung in the way they did is a credit to the effort of the D and coaching

-With that said the game did change on the fumble to tie but it was not the way I expected. It 100% fired Dallas up but like I said the defense after allowing the TD to Dallas to go up 20-13 hung in there. The offense just gave up in a sense. Thurman was beyond despondent and I am surprised a teammate didn't punch him for how bad his attitude was. The Bills also did not finish drives. The fact they didn't attempt a TD at the end of the 1st half and just played for the FG was mind blowing. In general the first half felt like each team trading punches and the Bills landed a few that had Dallas back. Yes the game momentum 100% turned on the fumble, but I would argue it actually started with the Bills not getting a TD to go up 17-6. You could feel Dallas walking into half that they dodged a possible knockdown punch there.

-If I had watched that game live I would've thrown my TV remote in anger with the play calling in the 2nd half and in general. The 1st half the offense had tempo, but they played a very vanilla ten yards or less attack style for the most part. Kelly missed Beebe on a deep bomb and that was the only major deep pass that stuck with me. Buffalo's inability to test Dallas on mid range to long range passes certainly caught them in the 2nd half. The kept trying this stupid shovel pass which Thurman got maybe 2-3 yards each time. The best plays Buffalo had were either screen passes or slant routes that negated some of Dallas speed. The coaching staff never adjusted for the fact Dallas kept eating up misdirection plays like crazy.

-Please appreciate in general the level of passing we see today and the skill associated. Aikman had quite a few well thrown balls as did Jim, but in todays NFL they probably each would've been picked 2-3 times. The skill of the league and speed is just so much more noticeable now with how the game is played it is impressive to see the evolution.

-With that point both teams for being the peak of the league offensively in the early 90s really liked to run the ball right into the middle for 3-4 yards. It is 100% in the NFL's best interest it is a passing league now because it is more entertaining.

-Watching Bruce Smith manhandle guys made me think of Aaron Donald. The pure power and strength of both players is insane and Bruce 100% could play today and I do not doubt he would eat players all day.

-I am happy the NFL did adjust their headshot rules because there 100% are guys with CTE with how the game was played. I like hitting and I do not like the penalties on QBs now, watching the game Kelly and Aikman took hits that were perfectly fine but would be penalties today. That stinks and I wish we moved back a bit on, but the headshot stuff is 100% for the best to be gone.

-Don Beebe deserved the SB ring he got with GB for his effort in his time in BUF. The dude fought all game and his play stuck out as one of the few offensive players that actually did something and kept fighting to the end.

-On the flipside Marv Levy had the personality of a rock on the sideline. Especially in the 2nd half as the offense saw the floor collapse under them he realllyyyy needed to get some energy going. Has anyone ever said if he even talked to Thurman who on the sideline was borderline on suicide watch after the fumble? 

-Jim Kelly actually had a solid 1st half. He picked apart Dallas pretty well and had them off balance which negated their speed. Once Dallas got up and Thurman removed himself from the game Dallas pinned their ears back and attacked. If you have seen the movie The Replacements with Keanu Reaves he speaks about when things start going wrong its like quicksand. Watching Kelly in the second half I would apply that quote to his play. You can see he starts pressing rather then taking what he is given, but you can understand it after 3 SB losses and the position they are in. My greatest criticism for the coaching staff was not reeling him in a little and going off script with the game plan for some easy yardage plays like screens or quick passing plays. You watch and see he is trying so hard to make a play to keep the Bills in it but it isn't there. The INT in the 4th quarter that iced the game was 100% this in a nutshell.

-Emmitt Smiths greatest thing in this game was evading/breaking tackles which allowed him at the end of the game to finish Buffalo off. You could see the Bills didn't have the energy on D by the 4th and he was able to shake them with ease.

-The biggest sad change for me from the NFL is the crowd at the SB. When Buffalo scored the shout song is playing and it is a very loud audible crowd of Bills fans singing. When Dallas made their good plays or scored their fans were 100% into it. You do not get that anymore as it has become a rich corporate affair. It really stuck out to me that regular fans were in attendance and you could 100% hear and feel them. This is 100% a loss for the NFL and the fans of their teams.

-Final remark watching it back as a fan of the Bills was frustrating as you could see it was a game they 100% were in if not actually had control of for a while. It is a shame the offense never got out of its way in the 2nd half as they had their shot. With that said it was really cool to see though our guys in the big game and everything that went with it. Time has benefited the Bills of those days well with how they are now remember because they were a great team and deserve to be remembered so. On to 2022 and the Josh Allen SB train!

I love it man.  Thanks for the insight.  I do think that this Bills team was much more focused for SB28 than they were for anti of the other 3 Super Bowls.  It was as if they felt the sense of urgency and also knew that it would take solid execution to beat a good Dallas team.  

IMO I think Thurman might have been feeling the most pressure due to his other 2 bad performances in the Super Bowl.  I do feel he was conscious of that the fact that he was a non-factor when the team needed him most.

He always regarded himself as the best RB but played with a chip on his shoulder and never thought he got the respect he deserved.  

I too go the sense that he gave up after that fumble and that the offense unraveled from there.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, corta765 said:

He also is bigger then most defensive players and back then may have been one of the fastest players in the league. It's why you can't compare era's, watching the game back it is much slower in comparison to right now. Not meant as criticism players have evolved and train to such a high level its wild what they physically can do. By comparison Kenny Davis was running a gas station summer of 93 lol.

I don't care how much bigger he is. Someone like Steve Atwater who gave 0 craps would have ripped his head off.  

I've gone back and watched several games and it's absolutely amazing how many plays would have been refereed completely differently today.

26 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I don’t agree.  The point about Kelly pressing after the fumble is absolutely correct.  But he did play a very good first half.

I’ll stand by the fact that Thurman lost this game for the Bills.  Period.

As far as swapping Kelly, I think you might make the argument that a different QB might be able to win SB25

This is great insight.  I've always felt that Marv and the offense were ill prepared for all the SBs.  Too much partying by offensive players, Marv just kind of standing there during the game w/o energy, etc.  For some reason, I think our current players won't have those maturity issues.  

That said, I can't see how the Cowboys offense was not out partying all the time before the game.  

At any rate, great insight.  And you're insane.  I never watch any of the old SBs.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I don't care how much bigger he is. Someone like Steve Atwater who gave 0 craps would have ripped his head off.  

I've gone back and watched several games and it's absolutely amazing how many plays would have been refereed completely differently today.

Haha well I think certain guys transcend eras. Allen's size and skillset and attitude most importantly he would've been fine. Same with Bruce or as I mentioned Aaron Donald. Troy Aikman might actually be better now where he gets less hits and can just throw the ball as he was very accurate. But I don't disagree Josh would've altered his play a little otherwise he would die haha.

2 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

I could never watch it again one time is enough thank you for your analysis. Buffalo could have easily won 2 or 3 of those grrrrr

It's funny the older I have gotten the less losses bother me at least at this point (SB loss live could be different) and I have become more objective that basically outside of an truly awful call/non call like the Rams Saints NFC title your team either earns it or doesn't and that is it. Even the KC loss I could probably watch back right now objectively and my thoughts would be relatively similar that Allen was a god and the defense/coaching staff blew it, but what a game.

My recollection of the Super Bowls was that the Bills clearly were competitive in two (XXV and XXVIII) and not in the other two.  The other two, Washington and Dallas clearly were the best teams in the league and proved it in the Super Bowl   

XXV is analyzed a lot, XXVIII not so much.  My view of XXVIII was that the Bills fell apart for maybe 15 minutes of clock time, starting with the fumble and return, and then got it together in the fourth quarter and competed, but the meltdown cost them any chance to win the game.  Dallas competed for 60 minutes, and that's why they won. 

As the years go by, increasingly I think that the problem with those teams was Levy.  He was too hands-off.   He didn't really lead - he just seemed to do what game prep he thought was necessary and then let the players play the game.   McDermott's teams are much better prepared to deal with adversity and overcome it - not perfect, but it's something they prepare for.  Even the comeback game: I though that game was more about the resilience of some of the players than about the coaching.  It also was about Houston's total lack of discipline and coaching.  

The Bills were good in that era because there was no salary cap, and for once in his career, Ralph opened his wallet a bit.  And Polian was good at his job.  The result was that Kelly, Smith, Bennett, Thomas, Reed, Talley, Tasker and a lot of quality role players all ended up on the team at one time.   It was the greatest array of talent in Bills history, excepting only now.  And it was better talent than any other team had been able to put together, except the Cowboys.   To his credit, Marv put the talent in a position to win, and the players did the best they could.  It just wasn't enough. 

I remember Marv being asked after XXV whether if he had it to do over again, he would have done more to motivate his players.   (Remember, the reports were that Kelly and others were out drinking the night before the game.)   Marv said something like the players are professionals, and it's their job to get themselves ready to play, not his.   You can be sure that when they heard that, Bill Parcells and his defensive coordinator Bill Belichick thought that Marv was an idiot.   The Giants were much better prepared for XXV.  

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.