Secret Service Deleted Jan 6 Text Messages After Oversight Officials Requested Them

46 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

I’d like to see a serious investigation into this but it’s also important that a Secret Service Agent left the protection detail to take a political position and then returned to the agency and, I believe, is currently running their training.

Feels like not everything is on the up-and-up there. Very interested in what the IG has to say (and the IG has already stated that the Secret Service has not been cooperative in the investigation).

I feel like I’ve heard this story before.  Government officials not being truthful, the IG looking into it, something fishy going on, etc.  

I can’t place where though, that’s what’s driving me crazy. :mellow:

And yet another ‘institution’ of our once proud government is getting thrown under the bus by the drumbeat of ‘progress’…or should I say all in the never ending thirst to get Trump. The secret service has one job to do and unlike the congressional political class, they appear do it really well, regardless of which party the President is from. They’ll even take a bullet to protect the President. Will you? Will the members of the so called select committee? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

And yet another ‘institution’ of our once proud government is getting thrown under the bus by the drumbeat of ‘progress’…or should I say all in the never ending thirst to get Trump. The secret service has one job to do and unlike the congressional political class, they appear do it really well, regardless of which party the President is from. They’ll even take a bullet to protect the President. Will you? Will the members of the so called select committee? 

I don’t think this is a Trump thing. The Secret Service has had issues for a while. 

Here’s an article about their failures during the Obama administration: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/03/secret-service-disaster-timeline/387643/

16 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Disagree.

ETTD

If the Secret Service was having issues before Trump became president, it's hard to argue that Trump caused the issues.

I'll agree that allowing an agent to take a political job and then return to the agency to oversee training is particularly bad, but this organization seems to have had problems for a looong time.

6 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

I don’t think this is a Trump thing. The Secret Service has had issues for a while. 

Here’s an article about their failures during the Obama administration: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/03/secret-service-disaster-timeline/387643/

I’ll try and type this without being disrespectful…but…come on! The secret service has to be 100% right 100% of the time 24/7/365 and has been for over half a century protecting literally dozens of political figures both in office and afterwards. I’m sure the pressure is incredible. And I’m also sure they’re regularly approached to betray their oath more than occasionally. Do they have political views? You bet. Are some of them Patriot fans? Probably. But…they do an incredible and thankless job. I’m not going to go anywhere in the vicinity of trashing them. Not a chance! 

Biden just came back safely from some pretty dangerous territory. The least you could do is say “Thank You” to these brave truly public servants. 

17 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’ll try and type this without being disrespectful…but…come on! The secret service has to be 100% right 100% of the time 24/7/365 and has been for over half a century protecting literally dozens of political figures both in office and afterwards. I’m sure the pressure is incredible. And I’m also sure they’re regularly approached to betray their oath more than occasionally. Do they have political views? You bet. Are some of them Patriot fans? Probably. But…they do an incredible and thankless job. I’m not going to go anywhere in the vicinity of trashing them. Not a chance! 

Biden just came back safely from some pretty dangerous territory. The least you could do is say “Thank You” to these brave truly public servants. 

I did not mean to come off as trashing the agents. They obviously have an incredibly important and difficult job.

But no organization is without problems and the Secret Service is not immune to that. When they have slip ups, they should be called out, if nothing than for them to identify the root cause of the issue and implement controls to prevent it from happening again.

6 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

I did not mean to come off as trashing the agents. They obviously have an incredibly important and difficult job.

But no organization is without problems and the Secret Service is not immune to that. When they have slip ups, they should be called out, if nothing than for them to identify the root cause of the issue and implement controls to prevent it from happening again.

Obviously….and you from your lofty perch don’t believe that’s happening. Come on man! Not even close to a major problem. Not even close. 

1 hour ago, ChiGoose said:

Don't put words in my mouth.

So you don’t believe the secret service has an HR Department? I’m pretty confident they do. 
And this entire threads because the modern equivalent of the Spanish Inquisition wants to look at their texts and emails. Let me ask you…would you want this clown committee looking at your emails and texts? Would you? I know I wouldn’t want my career ended all for the benefit of Adam’s insatiable wanderlust. 

58 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

So you don’t believe the secret service has an HR Department? I’m pretty confident they do. 
And this entire threads because the modern equivalent of the Spanish Inquisition wants to look at their texts and emails. Let me ask you…would you want this clown committee looking at your emails and texts? Would you? I know I wouldn’t want my career ended all for the benefit of Adam’s insatiable wanderlust. 

The Straw Man is strong with this one…

The Secret Service has an Inspector General, which oversees stuff like this. We know that the IG is investigating this because that’s what the reporting shows. I believe this is a good thing as IG’s are very important to a functioning government. Frankly, we should have more of them.

I started this thread because I think it’s an important story that the text messages from the Secret Service during a time when the Capitol was under attack were deleted. I also specifically stated that I am not jumping to conclusions and that it is possible, even likely, that this was an accident and not nefarious. If you have a problem with what someone else said in this thread, address it to them. I’m only responsible for what I say, not others.

I’m not a government employee, but if I were, I would know that my texts on my work phone could be subpoenaed by a congressional committee, no matter how much (or little) faith I had in its members. I’m sure it’s annoying but it literally comes with the job. Don’t like it? Go work in the private sector. Oh wait, I do. 

1 hour ago, ChiGoose said:

The Straw Man is strong with this one…

The Secret Service has an Inspector General, which oversees stuff like this. We know that the IG is investigating this because that’s what the reporting shows. I believe this is a good thing as IG’s are very important to a functioning government. Frankly, we should have more of them.

I started this thread because I think it’s an important story that the text messages from the Secret Service during a time when the Capitol was under attack were deleted. I also specifically stated that I am not jumping to conclusions and that it is possible, even likely, that this was an accident and not nefarious. If you have a problem with what someone else said in this thread, address it to them. I’m only responsible for what I say, not others.

I’m not a government employee, but if I were, I would know that my texts on my work phone could be subpoenaed by a congressional committee, no matter how much (or little) faith I had in its members. I’m sure it’s annoying but it literally comes with the job. Don’t like it? Go work in the private sector. Oh wait, I do. 

As do I….but my comments still stand. Nobody wants this cabal looking into their sock drawer. Too many have been caught up as collateral damage in the quest to get Trump. I believe virtually nothing that gets leaked out of this kangaroo court. Why? Because I’ve seen the first couple of movies in this trilogy and they were both utter garbage. 

11 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

As do I….but my comments still stand. Nobody wants this cabal looking into their sock drawer. Too many have been caught up as collateral damage in the quest to get Trump. I believe virtually nothing that gets leaked out of this kangaroo court. Why? Because I’ve seen the first couple of movies in this trilogy and they were both utter garbage. 

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148861teeypnvclevsanogg