Secret Service Deleted Jan 6 Text Messages After Oversight Officials Requested Them

3 minutes ago, muppy said:

advocating a narrative of course. Im not stupid. Im just trying to decide who is telling the TRUTH and being above board and honest. What a concept eh?

I apologize if you took it the wrong way. I’m not calling you stupid. The problem with the way this entire farce of a committee is being handled is that there is only one side to any of this being presented. There isn’t any cross examination, let alone a defense. If every court case was handled this way everyone in America would be in prison! If I give the committee the benefit of the doubt at the very least this should not be playing out in public. Even at your local school board meeting these sort of issues are handled in what is called ‘closed session’.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I apologize if you took it the wrong way. I’m not calling you stupid. The problem with the way this entire farce of a committee is being handled is that there is only one side to any of this being presented. There isn’t any cross examination, let alone a defense. If every court case was handled this way everyone in America would be in prison! If I give the committee the benefit of the doubt at the very least this should not be playing out in public. Even at your local school board meeting these sort of issues are handled in what is called ‘closed session’.

Its really hard to gague voice inflection in here that quip was me being me and I also apologize if it came out sounding crass. I think again there ARE things that we can agree on that is one of them it's a given we are constantly being fed a narrative by the media. And clearly who you choose to listen more to is likely the way your beliefs will sway.  The court of public opinion is now in session. I get it. The continual unfolding of all this political DRAMA is very tiring and I dont like it.  Lord have mercy. Peace brother-m

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I'd like to add the definition of what might be considered "evidence" in these hearings is quite different from a court room setting.  A lot of the smoking gun testimony is inadmissible hearsay. 

Something like Bob testified to the committee that Sue told him that Kevin talked with Nancy and she told him that Evan was talking to Steve about something and Joe told him that Tom was planning on robbing the bank down the street.  So there you go.  Bob's testimony is proof that Tom is guilty of planning a bank robbery.  Instead of Bob's testimony a court would need to hear from Joe, the person that actually talked to Tom. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I'd like to add the definition of what might be considered "evidence" in these hearings is quite different from a court room setting.  A lot of the smoking gun testimony is inadmissible hearsay. 

Something like Bob testified to the committee that Sue told him that Kevin talked with Nancy and she told him that Evan was talking to Steve about something and Joe told him that Tom was planning on robbing the bank down the street.  So there you go.  Bob's testimony is proof that Tom is guilty of planning a bank robbery.  Instead of Bob's testimony a court would need to hear from Joe, the person that actually talked to Tom. 

Exactly…but as I’ve said, this type of hearing (disguised to look like a court case…thus the constant ‘under oath’ chant) should NEVER play out in public. They tried it with the impeachment but quickly realized there’d be a defense team. So now Adam Schiff and his cabal of jackals came up with a way to stage an impeachment WITHOUT a defense team. It’s not complicated. It’s truly disgusting politics but it’s not complicated.

1 hour ago, muppy said:

leo my question would be if it could be determined wether said texts were deleted before or After they were officially requested. BIG difference. One means basically a clearing of text messages/account maintenance? The other means destroying evidence after the request.

From the OP

*shrugs* in light of the total mistrust between political ides in our country this reads suspicious to me.

I agree.  Deleting things after they're requested makes it highly suspicious.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, muppy said:

people of different politicl persuasions share MUCH more in common than not. We all want good health wealth and happy families. The political divide does NOT lend itself to any gray areas in the media. Which is why I like reading the board....sometimes........lol

we WILL push on yes but it is just one more ember on the flames of distrust Leo just sayin'.........BOTH SIDES. I don't see our future an being particularly bright as far as our Adversarial political system to be honest.

Most folks get along, Mupp, or at least coexist in relative peace.  You're spot on regarding the political/media desire for divisiveness.  The only thing I can offer is it's not so much whether your dopey neighbor thinks you're a dummy for supporting Biden, or the old lady at the gas station wants to comment about the MAGA hat while you're pumping gas, it's all about how you process it. 

A buddy is from Long Island, big, loud guy with a  deep voice and  not short on opinions.  Because of his vocal skills, he was the go-to at high school athletic competitions when our children were in school.  One time, as he was announcing names off a sheet at a very hectic event, a coach walked over to him, interrupted him and tried to chastise him because his athletes were having trouble following directions.  The coach was getting rather animated, my friend looked at him and told him, microphone still on, "I DON'T CARE!", looked back to his sheet and kept announcing.   The look on the coach's face was priceless, he looked to me for assistance and I handled it from there.  

My friend's approach to life is something sort of foreign to me.  When I talked to him later about it, his thought was that the guy was being a jerk, as 95% of the other athletes figured things out, the coach was failing in his role, but it was not my buddy's problem to fix.   

There's a certain simple brilliance to that approach, Mup, and I have consciously tried to move in that direction over the past few years.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Deek, careful apologizing to the Mup.  Next thing you know, @muppy will be telling you she doesn't like the color combination on your avatar, or that it's "boring", or that the colors on the field aren't right, and why can't you be more like the cool people with updated graphics and fancy fonts?

Sometimes a plain old L in a green circle should be good enough, shouldn't it?  It's a proud letter, the L. 

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

He’s a troll. Between him and DR, they don’t have two brain cells to rub together.

Best to ignore and let the adults talk. 

Covid broke bb.  Dr is just a poor attempt at trolling.  What's scary is the conspiracy theories and how often they search them out.  The need for those gotcha moments seems to override reason.

25 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Deek, careful apologizing to the Mup.  Next thing you know, @muppy will be telling you she doesn't like the color combination on your avatar, or that it's "boring", or that the colors on the field aren't right, and why can't you be more like the cool people with updated graphics and fancy fonts?

Sometimes a plain old L in a green circle should be good enough, shouldn't it?  It's a proud letter, the L. 

lol on THIS point we will always rabble Leo........L is for.....................? BORING lol

@-@  I'll tell you what it means ASK ME.....LAZY!~!~!!!!!!

😜

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

It didn’t have the be this way… but the cult voted against an independent counsel.

I wonder why… 

38 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Hey! Mine is a photo of my scale model of RICH STADIUM! Yep…it’ll always be Rich Stadium to me…..old school, baby! 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I like it, but some of us here::::ahem, the Countess of Muppy Cristo::::find some of us pedestrian.

Boring is the word leo . Boring is as boring does........all deflection NO ACTION---TCK SMH

I see you've created a trend,  senor @L Ron Burgundyis boring too. Im an equal opportunity rabblerouser just sayin'

tck-lol-m

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

Government employees often have a separate phone for their work. I know a couple employees of the state who have a work-issued phone because everything they do for work is subject to FOIA. 

I do not know if the secret service has the same policy, but if cops and other state government employees have this, it wouldn’t surprise me if the secret service did too. 

However, I think the best course of action is to remain skeptical and keep an eye out for updates of an investigation into this.

Absolutely.

This idea that a few individual Secret Service agents manually deleted some text messages to not get in trouble is absurd.  I worked in Document Management and Records Management for IBM and Xerox and others for many many years.  Texts are government records and must be kept.  They are kept and stored on the back end.  Just like email is.

Here is a blurb from the Texas State and Local Records Management about the subject.

Another method that can be utilized is for the state agency or local government to configure their text messaging service or use third-party software to automatically capture each text message sent and received into a repository or into an email sent to the agency or local government.

This was a decision made at higher levels. Not by some random IT person.  Heads should roll. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

It's not a court case. I sure hope you get your wish and Trump is on trial and can defend himself. He's obviously guilty of starting a riot 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, muppy said:

THE SECRET SERVICE erased text messages from January 5 and January 6, 2021, according to a letter given to the January 6 committee and reviewed by The Intercept. Office of Inspector General to the House and Senate homeland security committee though the ” the letter says the erasure took place shortly after oversight officials requested the agency’s electronic communicationsTHE SECRET SERVICE erased text messages from January 5 and January 6, 2021, according to a letter given to the January 6 committee and reviewed by The Intercept. The letter was originally sent by the Department of Homeland Security Office of Inspector General to the House and Senate homeland security committeehough the Secret Service maintains that the text messages were lost as a result of a “device-replacement program,” the letter says the erasure took place shortly after oversight officials requested the agency’s electronic communications.s. 

9 hours ago, muppy said:

*shrugs* in light of the total mistrust between political ides in our country this reads suspicious to me.

The highlighted part in red tells me this is all BS and willfully done by someone.  The Secret Service cannot manage a "device replacement program" without losing text messages?  Really?  Are we to really think that Secret Service members are walking around with cell phones and the texts are store nowhere except on the phone itself?  Really?

This smacks of criminal behavior or gross ineptitude of Secret Service IT.  Heads should roll regardless.

7 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Tells you everything you need to know

Inside job for sure, right DR?

I’d like to see a serious investigation into this but it’s also important that a Secret Service Agent left the protection detail to take a political position and then returned to the agency and, I believe, is currently running their training.

Feels like not everything is on the up-and-up there. Very interested in what the IG has to say (and the IG has already stated that the Secret Service has not been cooperative in the investigation).

• Like (+1) 1