Secret Service Deleted Jan 6 Text Messages After Oversight Officials Requested Them

Per The Intercept:

THE SECRET SERVICE erased text messages from January 5 and January 6, 2021, according to a letter given to the January 6 committee and reviewed by The Intercept. The letter was originally sent by the Department of Homeland Security Office of Inspector General to the House and Senate homeland security committees. Though the Secret Service maintains that the text messages were lost as a result of a “device-replacement program,” the letter says the erasure took place shortly after oversight officials requested the agency’s electronic communications.

The Department of Homeland Security — the Secret Service’s parent agency — is subject to oversight from the DHS Office of Inspector General, which had requested records of electronic communications from the Secret Service between January 5 and January 6, 2021, before being informed that they had been erased. It is unclear from the letter whether all of the messages were deleted or just some.

Not a great look.

Dam this is almost as book a look as our Afghanistan withdrawal.  

Or Hillary's stand down orders in Benghazi.  

Or their claim Benghazi was the result of a YouTube video.

Democrats really wanted to get to the bottom of those debacles that *checks notes* did NOT happen under Trump.  

We definitely got em now!   

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ChiGoose said:

Per The Intercept:

THE SECRET SERVICE erased text messages from January 5 and January 6, 2021, according to a letter given to the January 6 committee and reviewed by The Intercept. The letter was originally sent by the Department of Homeland Security Office of Inspector General to the House and Senate homeland security committees. Though the Secret Service maintains that the text messages were lost as a result of a “device-replacement program,” the letter says the erasure took place shortly after oversight officials requested the agency’s electronic communications.

The Department of Homeland Security — the Secret Service’s parent agency — is subject to oversight from the DHS Office of Inspector General, which had requested records of electronic communications from the Secret Service between January 5 and January 6, 2021, before being informed that they had been erased. It is unclear from the letter whether all of the messages were deleted or just some.

Not a great look.

Why is it not a great look?  

1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Why is it not a great look?  

The same reason anyone deleting anything after being legally requested that thing by a higher authority would not be a great look.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, 716er said:

The same reason anyone deleting anything after being legally requested that thing by a higher authority would not be a great look.

I can assure it’s done all the time. It’s not supposed to be but it is. 
Now you can go back to screaming at each other.

8 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I can assure it’s done all the time. It’s not supposed to be but it is. 
Now you can go back to screaming at each other.

I’m not screaming at anyone, Deek.  My thought was the same as yours.  Politicians seem to have these lapses and accidental deletes all the time.  It seems it shouldn’t happen, but it does, sorta making it less “not a good look”, more an expected look more times than not. 

Sadly, the texts may well have provided context of the god-awful level of security that day. 

11 minutes ago, 716er said:

ah so you were asking a rhetorical question in the most pro-Trump way possible. Gotcha 

Marvel Studios Reaction GIF by Disney+

Ah, so no, Ricky ######o.  

I have no idea why Chi Goose suggested it was a bad look.  Maybe he believes there’s critical evidence about Trump’s behavior that day.  Maybe he thinks the texts would provide clarity on the actions of other players.  Maybe he thinks the deleted texts represent evidence of criminal activity by the agent(s) who sent them.  Maybe he wanted to know if they ordered Chik-Fil-A, or strippers for a buddy’s bachelor party.   Or, maybe he thinks everybody every time should not delete texts when advised not to.  

He didn’t say. 

That’s why I asked him.  I know what I thought, and now you do too, because you asked me what I thought, and I explained it to you. 

Cool lady wink. 

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Democrats really wanted to get to the bottom of those debacles that *checks notes* did NOT happen under Trump.  

Who are you virtue signaling for dude? 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Ah, so no, Ricky ######o.  

I have no idea why Chi Goose suggested it was a bad look.  Maybe he believes there’s critical evidence about Trump’s behavior that day.  Maybe he thinks the texts would provide clarity on the actions of other players.  Maybe he thinks the deleted texts represent evidence of criminal activity by the agent(s) who sent them.  Maybe he wanted to know if they ordered Chik-Fil-A, or strippers for a buddy’s bachelor party.   Or, maybe he thinks everybody every time should not delete texts when advised not to.  

He didn’t say. 

That’s why I asked him.  I know what I thought, and now you do too, because you asked me what I thought, and I explained it to you. 

Cool lady wink. 

Sorry I’m just seeing this, was on dinner and clean up duty.

I think it’s a bad look for any government employee phone to have data deleted after an IG asks for it to be preserved.

Generally, I would expect that there is a procedure to identify such devices and prevent them from undergoing regular data wipes.

As far as I can tell, that leaves three likely potential scenarios:

1. There was no procedure to prevent devices from being wiped after an IG asks them to be preserved.

2. There is a procedure but it failed in this instance for some reason.

3. The data was intentionally deleted to prevent the IG from uncovering facts.

I think all of those are a bad look for an agency as serious as the Secret Service.

I am not going to do the PPP thing and break out my jump to conclusions mat, but if I had to guess, I think Occam’s and Hanlon’s Razors would make me more inclined to lean towards option 2.

In any case, this should be investigated to get to the bottom of it. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

When you deflect like a mofo really makes it seem like ya don't care.  Rightio.   You didn't mention covid again that's like twice in a month! 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

When you deflect like a mofo really makes it seem like ya don't care.  Rightio.   You didn't mention covid again that's like twice in a month! 

He’s a troll. Between him and DR, they don’t have two brain cells to rub together.

Best to ignore and let the adults talk. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

It's as bad a look as convincing half the planet they should lockdown for 15 days to slow the spread.  

It's as bad a look as telling people to wear 2 masks let alone 1.  

It's as bad a look as forcing people to get a vaccine that doesn't work or you're fired.  

It's as bad a look as this:

Edited by Big Blitz