What season as a fan do you wish 2022 avenges for you?

Another Fan

Well I know there's many but I'll limit this question so you can only pick one season.  

While I can't argue with anyone that would choose last season with the way it ended but for me personally it'd be 2012.  Even during the drought years, I would find something going into each year to be optimistic about.  I mean Jauron's teams won 7 games so even those years I felt some kind of hope.  But 2012 was the king of disappointment for me as a fan.  I figured a solid 10-6/11-5 season where the team finally broke the drought.  My reasoning:

It sounded as if Fitz struggled the 2nd half of 2011 because he was playing with broken ribs.  It actually made me like him more he still played.  I figured with the offseason to heel Fitz Magic would be back in full force.

Freddie returning from injury.

Stevie Johnson being benched the last game in 2011.  But he took less money I believe to resign with the Bills in 2012. Which showed to me he was maturing and loved Buffalo.

The addition of Mario Williams which I still read from time to time on this site it was like the longest thread or something like that.  But that felt huge at the time a player of his magnitude wanting to play in Buffalo.  That as well as firing the defense coordinator the year before.  It looked like they were trying to address those issues.

Plus all the guys on the team were likable and it looked as if Gailey built a culture where guys wanted to play in Buffalo.  

Needless to say I was in a strictly sports meaning devastated with how that year turned out.  Enough so it took me a while to embrace Josh and McDermott's process.  It's not that I didn't like what I saw progressing it's that well trust was an issue.  But yeah perhaps now that I'm older I could have saw that 2012 team lacked depth.  I'm still very very reluctant to call Bills Super Bowl favorites but I'm very confident in saying the team has as good a chance to win as any.

Go Bills 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

If I'm participating in this, for me the obvious choice can only be last season. There's no other choice really. I mean for example, you said 2012 season. Why would any of those seasons that always ended at or below .500 range? What's to avenge? lol

• Like (+1) 4

The 02-04 era Bills teams.  This is the team I thought/was hoping we were getting back then.  I thought it was going to be the reincarnation of the 90s Super Bowl teams.  I mean we had Drew, Moulds, Price, Travis Henry, Takeo Spikes, Pat Williams, London Fletcher, Sam Adams, Winfield and Clements.  It sounded so good on paper....sooooo good!  I was wrong, boy was I wrong.

After that I never really allowed myself to feel that way again with any of the following regimes/era's until McDermott, Beane, and Allen came along and here we are! 

• Like (+1) 1

I grew up during the drought. Disappointing football was all I knew about. I'm tough. I don't need any of those crap seasons to be avenged. None of them are worth avenging anyway.

It's all about the here and now. I watch the team today and I don't think at all about the drought years. I am soaking up what it feels like to be a fan of a good team, a team that is widely respected all around the league and by fans everywhere. It won't last forever. I don't need to waste any thoughts on the crap that came before now.

The Super Bowl years 1990-93. At the start of the 1993 (or maybe it was even 1992) season, Jay Leno of The Tonight Show joked in his monologue something to the effect of:

"The NFL season starts Sunday. This is the time that each of the other 27 teams begins to compete to decide who gets to beat Buffalo in the Super Bowl".

I was not happy after I heard that. Buffalo had become the laughingstock of the nation.

Edited by chongli

2 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Well I know there's many but I'll limit this question so you can only pick one season.  

While I can't argue with anyone that would choose last season with the way it ended but for me personally it'd be 2012.  Even during the drought years, I would find something going into each year to be optimistic about.  I mean Jauron's teams won 7 games so even those years I felt some kind of hope.  But 2012 was the king of disappointment for me as a fan.  I figured a solid 10-6/11-5 season where the team finally broke the drought.  My reasoning:

It sounded as if Fitz struggled the 2nd half of 2011 because he was playing with broken ribs.  It actually made me like him more he still played.  I figured with the offseason to heel Fitz Magic would be back in full force.

Freddie returning from injury.

Stevie Johnson being benched the last game in 2011.  But he took less money I believe to resign with the Bills in 2012. Which showed to me he was maturing and loved Buffalo.

The addition of Mario Williams which I still read from time to time on this site it was like the longest thread or something like that.  But that felt huge at the time a player of his magnitude wanting to play in Buffalo.  That as well as firing the defense coordinator the year before.  It looked like they were trying to address those issues.

Plus all the guys on the team were likable and it looked as if Gailey built a culture where guys wanted to play in Buffalo.  

Needless to say I was in a strictly sports meaning devastated with how that year turned out.  Enough so it took me a while to embrace Josh and McDermott's process.  It's not that I didn't like what I saw progressing it's that well trust was an issue.  But yeah perhaps now that I'm older I could have saw that 2012 team lacked depth.  I'm still very very reluctant to call Bills Super Bowl favorites but I'm very confident in saying the team has as good a chance to win as any.

Go Bills 

I don't see seasons as an opportunity to avenge a prior season...........but if I did, it certainly wouldn't have been some team like the 2012 Bills that weren't expected to be much better than a late season in-the-hunt wildcard graphic team.   

The game at SF and in Toronto versus Seattle were arguably the most disgusting performances during the drought though.    Giving up a franchise record worst 600+ yards to the Alex Smith Niners was sickening........and somehow the Toronto performance was even more embarrassing.

What that season really represented was the reminder that you have to actively address a losing culture...........you can't just hire an x and o HC like Chan Gailey and add a handful of defensive play makers and expect to undo the kind of damage that 4 years of playing Jauron Ball inflicts.    

All of them of course but the ones that really hurt.

1980 - If they beat the Chargers I have no doubt they would have beaten the Raiders at Rich Stadium in the AFCCG with a good shot to beat the Eagles in the Super Bowl.

1990 - so close damn wide right

1999 - MCM. We had a really good defense that year. Should have stayed with Flutie. He was a winner who found a way to win. See his CFL days

2021 - 13 seconds. Another so close season. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.