The only Josh Allen Run That Needs to Go Away

JESSEFEFFER

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

Allens feet slipping getting blamed for Dawkins getting steamrolled and landing on the back of his legs, causing him to slip + Feliciano doing his best matador impression simultaneously is even funnier.  He could’ve slipped and still gotten the first of his OL didn’t get dominated

https://twitter.com/NoFlagsFilm/status/1482032478185480199?s=20&t=jNIHhcNrTxQZKm4nvnvdhg

No no Daboll is the reason his foot slipped bro. Just ask around.

Now we have an OC who, uh, I guess doesn't control Josh's feet.

30 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

As usual Chans with you’re inflammatory persona, I said it was a bonehead move and Daboll tried to get too cute on THAT PLAY.  I did not indicate Daboll was not an excellent OC and was deserving of his HC position at the Giants.

This is you blowing a comment on ONE PLAY, and extrapolating to stating Daboll is a joke.  I’m also confident Dorsey will have his bumps in his first OC job, but happy it’s him where Allen feels comfortable with him.  I’m sure it’s all going to work out, and no I don’t freak out when a run play goes for five yards.  I’m not a reactionist.

I am what I is.

22 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

We all want Josh protected better and sometimes he needs to be protected from himself.  Imo, of all the types of runs he makes, this is the most risky.  Remove this from the playbook, please. A zone read that he pulls from Moss with Joey Bosa standing there staring Josh down expecting him to keep it.  Wrapped around his waist like a little brother, Bosa manages to pull and spin Josh down while crushing on the back of his legs.  On QB power runs, draws, sneaks and scrambles Josh can see the defenders with time to react and can usually protect himself well.  This zone misread made my heart rate went go through the roof as I thought he'd suffered a lower leg injury much like Dak did.  I can't think of one worse than this.  Unblocked Joey Bosa standing there waiting for him with no time to react.  They should make this go away.  I think I am good with the rest.

Joey Bosa Hauling Josh Down

No Way Meme GIF

11 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

It never works...

...except for when it does.  We've all seen those 4th and 1 plays where you know, I know, everyone and their blind dog knows they are just going to keep hard counting until the clock runs out trying to get the D to jump Offside.  And it sometimes actually works.  Just because it's unlikely to help, doesn't make it impossible.  Saying not to even try is like turning down a free lottery ticket.

Not sure I follow you here...I didn't say anything pertaining to what you responded with.  In fact, I said do not remove the QB sneaks because its almost a guaranteed successful play based on Allens career with a only a couple that didnt work.  I was critical of Dabolls unnecessary attempt at being tricky on the goal line one against Ten instead of just lining up from the get go to run the sneak so Josh could get set and not rush getting into position because he was shifting back from shotgun to over center.  

6 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Except this was a big reason for the offensive success late in the season… Using Josh as a RB to hide some of their offensive inefficiencies…. I think in the divisional game alone Daboll called at least 5-7 designed Josh runs and pretty much all of them were successful chunk runs. Disagree that it should be cut out of the playbook…. I think they should be saved for later in the season/January. 

Im not talking removing using his legs by any means, its a big part of his game.  BUT...I am saying stop running FB/RB style runs with our QB straight up the gut of the defense off the snap into tons of contact for no reason.  Josh is not a RB, he is a QB, and too often Daboll ran him up the middle right into defenders as if he was a FB.  And those types of runs were not a big part of our success, it was his least successful designed run in terms of YPC and he always takes hits because there is no time to get down as he is running right up the gut into defenders off the snap.  

Allen is substantially more effective with his legs when the designed run is to the outside or its a run after he has dropped back to pass and either takes off by design or takes off because the lane is there and he doesn't have his targets open down field.  All of his longest runs up the middle were after he has dropped back to pass first and then took off, not taking it off the snap inside the tackles.  

So by all means, let Josh run for sure.  But lets get him running in space more on roll outs, sweeps with blockers, or when the targets aren't open down field where he can get chunk yardage and still get down or out of bounds to avoid the hit.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

We all want Josh protected better and sometimes he needs to be protected from himself.  Imo, of all the types of runs he makes, this is the most risky.  Remove this from the playbook, please. A zone read that he pulls from Moss with Joey Bosa standing there staring Josh down expecting him to keep it.  Wrapped around his waist like a little brother, Bosa manages to pull and spin Josh down while crushing on the back of his legs.  On QB power runs, draws, sneaks and scrambles Josh can see the defenders with time to react and can usually protect himself well.  This zone misread made my heart rate went go through the roof as I thought he'd suffered a lower leg injury much like Dak did.  I can't think of one worse than this.  Unblocked Joey Bosa standing there waiting for him with no time to react.  They should make this go away.  I think I am good with the rest.

Joey Bosa Hauling Josh Down

So you don't want Josh to try and make a throw in tight quarters after he decides to run it, right? Because that's what causes Josh to put himself at risk, the fact he tried to get the ball to Davis. If he just commits to the run and protects himself as a runner he's less likely to get hurt in that situation. And this is from 2020, right? I think Josh has already done a better job of getting down on these type of plays to live another day. 

I do think there will be less running this year, with the expectation that Josh will dump the ball off to one of our overpopulated short to mid range targets. I think we're really going to use the width of the field this year, hopefully it will work.

7 hours ago, FireChans said:

Lmao yes Daboll was such a bad OC that he was basically the hottest HC candidate the last two years.

you will be calling Dorsey a moron when a run play doesn’t go for 5 yards in about 6 months. See you then

Serious question:  Why do you feel the need to take something and utterly grossly exaggerate it all the time to over dramatize something on the board?  

No one said he was a bad OC, but here you are exaggerating the critique of some of his decisions as if everyone is saying he sucks or something.  I think its more than fair to question running your $250M QB on first down between the tackles off the snap.  Not really something you want to see a lot of.  Or critiquing the times he would try and get too cute or tricky in critical moments instead of just running their best play.

None of that translates into saying he was a bad OC, but like any coach or player, for as good as they are there are still things that need to improve or could have been done better.  And everyone and their mom knows the weakest area for Daboll was in the run game.  

He did a good job here overall and was definitely worthy of landing a HC gig, but even the "hottest candidate the last 2 years" is a bit dramatic.  I mean he got 2 interviews the year before and didn't get offered a job and was passed over by Chargers and Jets and had to return for another year in Buffalo instead.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

So you don't want Josh to try and make a throw in tight quarters after he decides to run it, right? Because that's what causes Josh to put himself at risk, the fact he tried to get the ball to Davis. If he just commits to the run and protects himself as a runner he's less likely to get hurt in that situation. And this is from 2020, right? I think Josh has already done a better job of getting down on these type of plays to live another day. 

I do think there will be less running this year, with the expectation that Josh will dump the ball off to one of our overpopulated short to mid range targets. I think we're really going to use the width of the field this year, hopefully it will work.

The pass wasn't really designed as there were OL downfield which drew the flag.  I think Josh did that to avoid a loss.  Bosa had 6 tackles for loss that game which included 3 sacks.  This particular type of play has the potential to be misread and thus expose Josh to having to take on a big defender with little time or space to react.  It could have been a much worse outcome.  I think Barkley came in for just the next play.

On 7/13/2022 at 5:11 PM, 947 said:

That play is just a regular old zone-read, most teams run it & doubtful it'll go away from our playbook.

Josh made the correct read by keeping it when Bosa crashed inside, but a few things went wrong. He's supposed to run further outside to ensure he beats the DE. Looks like he saw the LB waiting & stayed more inside, Bosa made a great recovery & got him. I'd also like to see the RB to run right at the crashing DE & try to block him once he knows the QB is keeping it, Moss ran right past Bosa & blocked nobody.

If Josh gets outside Bosa, he gets tackled by the LB but gets 2-3 yards. If Moss is able to slow Bosa down, Josh would've had 5 yards inside. If either of those things happen, no near-injury for Josh.

This is correct. You see this play alot in college offenses.

Simple RPO where QB can pass it, hand it off it the RB or keep it and run it himself.

Josh made the decision to run it not Daboll. This was not a "designed run".

You see this play more and more in the NFL but non mobile QBs like Matt Ryan will either hand it off or pass it.

There is no keep it and run it for them. It's removed 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.