Good thoughts for Mazie the Wonder Dog

Mickey

I have a 6 year old Bernese Mountain Dog named Mazie that is in the hospital struggling with aspirational pneumonia.  It has been almost 5 days now and though she isn't improving, she is not getting worse. Please send whatever good thoughts and energy you can her way.

This dog saved our lives, twice. Once when 2-3 people broke into our house at 3:00 AM, while we were in the house. Mazie charged down the stairs and made them instantly regret their career choices as they dropped everything and went running down the street. The robbery was orchestrated by a gang whose MO was to hire kids under 18 to break in and then hand goods (car keys especially) to the gang members outside. Several were arrested and all stolen goods recovered. The second time was when Mazie's Mom was walking Mazie in a local park which, unknown to us, had been the scene of several bloody attacks  by two stray pit bulls. My spouse was confronted by two snarling pit bulls, the same ones that had been terrorizing the park and recently sent a cyclist to the hospital.  They went after her, she dropped the leash and ran, falling over a low retaining wall trying to get away and was bleeding from both knees.  The pit bulls jumped the low wall and were about to attack when Mazie jumped between her and the pit bulls and basically turned into Kujo. The pit bulls both turned and ran. 

Thanks for listening.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Sad 2
  • Shocked 1

Mazie is too young for this. Get well! She’s part of the family for sure! 

EDIT: I’m taking our almost 2 year old Scout for a walk now, because she would like that and we can. The 13 year old Golden will wait here.  She picks her moments, and this isn’t one of them. 

Edited by Augie

Thanks for the well wishes, I feel much better after reading them. 

Mazie is not getting worse but only maybe a tiny little bit better. They started her on high flow oxygen treatment which requires mild sedation. We won't know if it is helping until tomorrow morning. Lungs are slightly improved but still severely effected, even after 5 days of antibiotics. Aspiration pneumonia is very, very tough to beat.

2 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Mazie is not getting worse but only maybe a tiny little bit better. They started her on high flow oxygen treatment which requires mild sedation. We won't know if it is helping until tomorrow morning. Lungs are slightly improved but still severely effected, even after 5 days of antibiotics. Aspiration pneumonia is very, very tough to beat.

Rest assured that you have done everything in your power to help her. After that, it’s out of your hands. One of my favorite things about dogs is they never feel sorry for themselves. Certainly better than people in that regard. 

Hoping you have much better news tomorrow. GO MAZIE!!! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mickey said:

Forward progress is progress.  All the best to Mazie.  She's got this!! 

2 hours ago, Mickey said:

I have a 6 year old Bernese Mountain Dog named Mazie that is in the hospital struggling with aspirational pneumonia.  It has been almost 5 days now and though she isn't improving, she is not getting worse. Please send whatever good thoughts and energy you can her way.

This dog saved our lives, twice. Once when 2-3 people broke into our house at 3:00 AM, while we were in the house. Mazie charged down the stairs and made them instantly regret their career choices as they dropped everything and went running down the street. The robbery was orchestrated by a gang whose MO was to hire kids under 18 to break in and then hand goods (car keys especially) to the gang members outside. Several were arrested and all stolen goods recovered. The second time was when Mazie's Mom was walking Mazie in a local park which, unknown to us, had been the scene of several bloody attacks  by two stray pit bulls. My spouse was confronted by two snarling pit bulls, the same ones that had been terrorizing the park and recently sent a cyclist to the hospital.  They went after her, she dropped the leash and ran, falling over a low retaining wall trying to get away and was bleeding from both knees.  The pit bulls jumped the low wall and were about to attack when Mazie jumped between her and the pit bulls and basically turned into Kujo. The pit bulls both turned and ran. 

Thanks for listening.

If you could post a pic of Mazie, that would be awesome.

22 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Forward progress is progress.  All the best to Mazie.  She's got this!! 

If you could post a pic of Mazie, that would be awesome.

Is Mazie the avatar? Bigger would be better. We are all cheerleaders on Team Mazie! You go girl!

If you’ve never been a dog person, you may not get how close and personal this is. 

Godspeed for recovery, Mazie 💛🐾!

The Berneses, being a large breed, have a shorter lifespan. Best friend’s ex-gf had a string of them and the oldest got to ~8 1/2. But those were males weighing 120-130 — really big boys. Her last, Hunter-Boo, was a lovable oaf who had one incident of knocking down a neighbor kid & grazing with a claw while playing ball and immediately knowing & having that look on his face of ‘oops I just messed up 🥺

Tiny bit of good news for Mazie this morning. The high flow O2 treatment is working as her o2 levels are now normal. She had been in an oxygen tent that only managed to get her o2 levels to 94%, w/out treatment it would drop to 91%.  They will lower the o2 mix throughout the day to see if her good levels can hold without the high flow treatment assisting. Her temp is also down to 101.5, the best she has had since she was admitted last Saturday. 

Her lungs remain severely effected but they are even the tiniest bit better which is the opposite of what they had been doing.

Not out of the woods and nowhere near coming home but today was the first bit of good news, albeit guarded good news, that we have had since this all started. 

Thanks again to all and keep the good vibes vibe'n Mazie's way.

Edited by Mickey
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.