Gabe Davis getting stronger

Dablitzkrieg

On 7/13/2022 at 1:23 PM, HansLanda said:

when the skill position guys add weight, it is so much work. That is all lean muscle mass. They aren't eating pizza all day. I would bet adding seven pounds of mass is MUCH harder than cutting seven. These guys can cut seven in a week. Adding is all diet and weight room. 

David Boston didn't seem to struggle with adding weight...

• Haha (+1) 2

18 hours ago, The Dean said:

Is this true?  Impossible?  Do those fat loads who transform their bodies into muscles  are actually gaining MORE fat?  I'm no expert in this, but this sounds wrong.

No, it's not impossible. It's difficult, and bodybuilders don't generally even try to do it that way, but it's absolutely doable.

You can't turn fat directly into muscle. But you can cause the body to break down fat for energy, depending on situation and circumstance, even enough energy to build muscle.

Studies have shown this. Here's a couple, but there are a bunch:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28401638/

https://www.metabolismjournal.com/article/S0026-0495(02)00010-0/fulltext

It isn't easy. If you try to do both, you will maximize neither. It's even harder for a guy who's already in great shape, but it is doable.

More, it's extremely doable when you're talking about something like Davis did, gaining relatively small amounts of weight over several months. You could for example cut weight and lose fat over the first two months and then gain muscle for the next two or three months.

He's had from January 24th to today. Take maybe three weeks of total vaca and you still have five months of time to do this. Very possible.

Edited by Thurman#1

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Adding muscle mass = adding weight

Simply turning your existing pounds into leaner muscle without gaining weight is not "adding mass"............it's just adding muscle while subtracting less lean body weight.

You are trying to run with the misconception at the time that Singletary may have bulked up signficantly.....and again......he did not.

Getting heavier to get quicker and faster would not have been sensible..........and this is common sense, after all.

As for the real man stuff............I always thought you were more of a mama's boy type. ;)

I'll reply once more and that's it.  I am not/did not do the bolded. You assumed I did that even though I have corrected you on many occasions.

I said there was a thread on Motor's gaining muscle. That is TRUE.

I said some commented that would hurt him/he would regress:  That is also TRUE

Why they said it was never an issue.  THAT it happened is all that was presented.  Even though WHY doesn't matter to my statement, I even showed you some ONLY referred to the muscle gain, with no mention of weight.  But again, why was never at issue in my original statement.

Everything else is your incredible spinning BS.  

Edited by The Dean

18 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Take this love affair to PM 

😌💕☺️

That's exactly what I tell people to do when they make persistent idiotic arguments to try to pander to homers in the main forum..........but in the cold light of a PM they have to face the fact that they are just making illogical or outright false or unsupported claims.    The fun is over for them when the attention is gone.   

The bottom line on this is the same kinda' people who insist there is no cause for pause whatsoever about a receiver getting too big are the people who spent 2019 mocking the Bills receivers of 2017-2018 in hindsight for not being quick or fast enough compared to Beasley and Brown.    Hopefully it goes smoothly for Davis.

• Agree 1

On 7/14/2022 at 11:26 AM, The Dean said:

The only person lying here is you.  You seem determined to attempt to twist what I said.  Let's reviews exactly what I posted. 

I never said, nor inferred, the discussion about Motor was about his weight. I said it was about his gaining muscle,  It WAS.  I already showed you the thread.

You keep tossing out absolutes that prove to be false. You posted the ONLY story last year was his working on speed. I've obviously showed you there were stories about his muscle gain . I never claimed it was the first story about Singletary. That the stories are derivative means absolutely nothing to my claim of their existence. 

I was saying, and will say again, there WERE stories about his muscle gain. And there was at least one thread about that on here. I've supplied it for your convenience.  Now you are saying:

Perhaps you skipped some replies on the thread I supplied.

So apparently your assertion that NOBODY was saying the added muscle would be bad, is in incorrect.  There were several mentions. 

I'm thinking you want me to be saying something I did not. I said exactly what I said. I backed up the analogy. 

Your insistence that I was conflating muscle and weight with respect to speed is an invention in your own mind. I never did that. The analogy was about hot-take reactions to a player changing his physique in some way, and assuming it will be a negative impact. Pretty simple. And true.

When Bado gets on a roll, it’s virtually impossible to slow that roll…, 😂

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Why?You don’t want to see Kumerow out there for an extended period of time if Davis rolls his ankle again???

They ascended in 2019 and 2020 by stacking speed, quickness and skill at the position..........they seemed to know the role it played in their ascent, calling it their "fastball"............and since have allowed themselves to get more ordinary at the position.     It's a matchup league.   Kumerow might be the worst #2 WR in the league if given the chance.  

• Like (+1) 1

This thread's back-and-forth is primarily predicated upon the repetition of the misleading headline of the linked source in the OP...

We should all be able to recognize that Gabriel Davis has in fact NOT gained 17 pounds THIS offseason, and has in fact only continued a slow and steady body recomposition (not actually a word) that includes gaining maybe 4 pounds since last season ended. Anyone who actually reads the linked text should understand this without having to present nonsense red herrings about dramatic weight gain and how that can negatively affect an NFL WR. It's like a bait-and-switch for online drama queens. 

Published sports content online is not often beholden to journalistic standards of responsibility, and relies upon lazy and/or slanted commentary for impressions. Anyone in this thread concerned about Davis's weight gain is therefore easily duped or dishonest. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Why?You don’t want to see Kumerow out there for an extended period of time if Davis rolls his ankle again???

I don't think anyone does. And since he's maybe the #5 or #6, if he becomes the #2 we will probably have had the sort of rash of injuries any team would have a hard time with.

On 7/13/2022 at 12:06 PM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Listed weight?

that's like asking a woman her weight 

😝

they are always 10 to 20 pounds lighter 

Actually with equality nowadays you are supposed to ask women that stuff now.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He’s the back up to both Davis and Diggs, so no, not really.

But.. but... Aaron Rodgers wanted him back in GB so he's super good, and don't forget about his efficiency, he's called TD Jesus for a reason. 

If either miss time I'd imagine the plan is to make up the difference by committee, rather than rely solely on one player for the job. So let's say they lose 15 looks to Davis over a game, they wouldn't expect Kumerow to probably take more than 1-3 of those. Knox gets more time outside and makes up another 2-3 maybe the other TEs 1-2, the RBs add 2-4 more, the rest of the WR room gets the rest of the targets. About 2 more looks each for Diggs, McKenzie, Crowder, and Shakir. Or they could 'feature' one of these guys and give more looks to them, think how McKenzie was used against NE last year. 

While running Davis and Diggs together will be the go to in the clutch. The offense as a whole will be varied enough to not precipitate a major shift in overall offensive philosophy based off of an injury to either starter. Losing both for an extended period would change a lot but they might look to make a trade if something like that happens or pickup a player like Julio Jones, if any are still available, who can come in for a few games and wants a ring.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

No he isn't.

What? 

He is a primarily a ST player. He is not a starting WR. But he is a backup WR, and probably not playing much in the slot. So yes, he is a backup to Diggs and Davis---and anyone else they might play at WR before relying in his contribution there. But how is he NOT a backup to Diggs and Davis?

1 minute ago, The Dean said:

So yes, he is a backup to Diggs and Davis---and anyone else they might play at WR before relying in his contribution there. But how is he NOT a backup to Diggs and Davis?

He is A backup, not THE backup. He's far down the depth chart. Hermes explained it in his post above. If anyone believes that the Bills' contingency plan for Diggs or Davis going down is to simply give Kumerow their snap share, they're deluding themselves.

Just now, HappyDays said:

He is A backup, not THE backup. He's far down the depth chart. Hermes explained it in his post above. If anyone believes that the Bills' contingency plan for Diggs or Davis going down is to simply give Kumerow their snap share, they're deluding themselves.

I agree with that. Right now, I think it will be filled by more than one WR given the current state of the roster.  But he is a WR backup.

The Bills "official" depth chart isn't available yet.  But this one from ESPN does a terrible job of guessing the WR rotation, IMO:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/buf/buffalo-bills

10 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

This thread's back-and-forth is primarily predicated upon the repetition of the misleading headline of the linked source in the OP...

We should all be able to recognize that Gabriel Davis has in fact NOT gained 17 pounds THIS offseason, and has in fact only continued a slow and steady body recomposition (not actually a word) that includes gaining maybe 4 pounds since last season ended. Anyone who actually reads the linked text should understand this without having to present nonsense red herrings about dramatic weight gain and how that can negatively affect an NFL WR. It's like a bait-and-switch for online drama queens. 

Published sports content online is not often beholden to journalistic standards of responsibility, and relies upon lazy and/or slanted commentary for impressions. Anyone in this thread concerned about Davis's weight gain is therefore easily duped or dishonest. 

But the assertion is still that Davis has put on 17 pounds in the past two offseasons...........which is a lot for a WR either way.

If he hadn't been limited by a nagging foot injury for the first 10 games or so last season(per Bills shill Sal Capaccio).........or if he'd proven he can be a star at that weight like DK Metcalf has......... it would be easier to totally dismiss the impact of adding 10 pounds one offseason and 7 the next.

Getting heavier generally doesn't make you quicker or faster.    That's the reality.   Veterans with mileage on them, like LeSean McCoy when he was in Buffalo, will cut weight to try to maintain those attributes.

My biggest concern with Davis is not physical though..........just whether he can handle the mental jump to being a #2 WR...........which is essentially being a 1B option in a league with this much WR talent and CB depth spread around the league compared to a decade ago.

Davis has had some inconsistent stretches and subsequently modest production.  Not as serious as Knox with regard to catching targets, but still things like inopportune drops that make you wonder if he is susceptible to the yips/slumps.

Diggs, for example,  doesn't have a 3 catch on 14 targets day against a lowly Jets team that has one foot on the bus.

Can Davis handle the pressure of being a focal point of the defense (and fans and media)..........and can he also bring his "A" game to low spotlight games like last seasons Jets and Jags game(critical drop late in that one).

Whenever dealing with athletes who might be inclined to get in their own head too much.......I think it's always the best policy to have ACTUAL COMPETITION in house to move the focus outward.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.