Gabe Davis getting stronger

Dablitzkrieg

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He’s up 7lbs if you read the article.

Which is more reasonable. Lean guys (not O Linemen) if clean guys can gain 7 lbs. and makes sense.  17 in a few

months is unrealistic.  Made sense Stampede and thanks for the clarification.

34 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

227 and standing next to Allen he still looked like he was 210.

I bet Allen is checking in at 240-250

He was clocked at 238 lbs. last year.  I’m hopeful he’s still around 240-45 as he’s still lean and his speed is what we need not girth.

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Davis has the talent and size of a X  receiver 

Diggs and Davis should scare teams for years

Other teams should be scared of D & D with Josh Allen as dungeon master.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, machine gun kelly said:

Which is more reasonable. Lean guys (not O Linemen) if clean guys can gain 7 lbs. and makes sense.  17 in a few

months is unrealistic.  Made sense Stampede and thanks for the clarification.

I mean he was 216 lbs at the combine when you typically cut down to run fast. He’s looked bigger every season. 

Davis is a very physical WR. One of my favorite plays last year was vs Tampa on 4th down he caught it 2 yards short and carried the DB for the 1st. He’s such a clutch player.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Listed weight?

that's like asking a woman her weight 

😝

they are always 10 to 20 pounds lighter 

I still have the scar from college from doing that😑

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Other teams should be scared of D & D with Josh Allen as dungeon master.

Then to add having to factor in Knox obviously. Also Cook you'd have to keep an eye on, even as a rookie he easily can be a serious threat in passing game. Overall Bills offense is a nightmare for opposing DC

• Like (+1) 3

Davis is eligible for a contract extension for the first time after this season..........so on the one hand it's a good sign that he is treating it like a contract year given the fact that the Bills have no backup plan whatsoever if he doesn't play up to the promise he showed in the playoffs last season.

But putting another 17 pounds on his frame after struggling with boo-boo foot both at the end of 2020 and the first 3 months of the 2021 season............we would assume he knows what's best for his body.........but if he ends up with the fascitis or joint issues that slow him that will be a "what was he thinking" decision.

My biggest concern for him is catching the football consistently in an expanded role.    He's shown signs of being susceptible to the yips at times in his first two seasons.         

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Rigby said:

I still have the scar from college from doing that😑

Not every important lesson learned in college is related to your GPA!

I like that Gabe is working hard, but I pray there are no unintended consequences. Strong is great, as long as he doesn’t lose a half step by getting bigger. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Logic said:

There is understandably a lot of doubt about whether or not Davis can be a successful, top tier #2 WR for the duration of an entire season.

Count me among those that has very little doubt. All he has lacked so far is opportunity.

Yeah.  I don't really understand this argument.

If Davis was going from the #3 guy to the #1, and replacing Stefon Diggs...yeah, that could be a concern.  He would suddenly be the primary focus of the secondary and drawing the defense's top corner.  

But in the #2 role?  We've seen him excel in that position each of the last two seasons.  He filled-in great for John Brown as a rookie.  He filled-in great for Emmanuel Sanders.  

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I mean he was 216 lbs at the combine when you typically cut down to run fast. He’s looked bigger every season. 

Davis is a very physical WR. One of my favorite plays last year was vs Tampa on 4th down he caught it 2 yards short and carried the DB for the 1st. He’s such a clutch player.

Thats different. If he was 216 and you noticed he gained a couple then that means he only put on 7-8 lbs. this off season.  That’s normal with the right training and nutrition.

Quite honestly with his frame at

6’2”, and if what someone just wrote he was 216 and growing, then I like 

a fast solid route runner who has the strength to deal with contested catches.

I thought Metcalf was around that size.  I’m not saying Davis is Metcalf yet, but let’s hope this year.

Beans needs to extend him as soon as the opportunity presents itself because if he builds off of that performance he had against the Chiefs last season & brings that into this season they will have a very hard financial decision to make when his contract comes due but if they can extend him before that all the better .

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

17 lbs in an offseason is very tough even for elite athletes that have all the best in terms of training, diet, sleep, sports science etc...7 lbs is definitely possible with all that. 17 over 2 years is definitely achievable and sounds about right.

Even 7 pounds of muscle would be difficult. 17 without "enhancements" is highly unlikely. A lot of times water retention is a major factor in rapid weight gain. 

4 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

10 catches for 242 yards and 5 TDs in 2 playoff games among an already stacked receiver group should automatically eliminate any doubt about being a #2.  They playoffs is when you unleash your weapons, and he wasn't even really needed against the Patriots so his workload was lighter in the first game.

Crazy to think he wasn't even a top 250 WR college recruiting prospect, or top 250 Florida recruit.  Beane loves his late bloomers.

He was really solid at UCF and big part of a really talented “National Championship” team in Frost’s last season.  I really liked the pick but worried about his hands, but the work he puts in is a big part of his continued improvement and that is a talent you can’t measure at the combine.  I’m sure being a part of a good organization with a guy like Josh at QB doesn’t hurt either.

22 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Even 7 pounds of muscle would be difficult. 17 without "enhancements" is highly unlikely. A lot of times water retention is a major factor in rapid weight gain. 

For a young athlete training hard with a likely great hormonal profile, it's not unrealistic to gain somewhere between 1-1.5 lbs of muscle a month. They have the best of everything. They can rest optimally between training sessions, take naps, get the best treatments, food, etc...

For normal people that is likely capped around 0.5-1lb a month and even that is unlikely since it's near impossible to have a job, have a family and still be able to do things optimally.

17 lbs is completely not happening unless it's a lot of fat or from PEDs.

Also depends on what you take in terms of steroid in terms of water retention. The ones that will aromatize to estrogen in the body like testosterone for sure will give you "moon face"(aka water retention). Anadrol and D-Bol are also famous for water retention as they are DHT based.

Tren, Anavar and Winstrol will definitely not cause fluid retention, they actually help you dry out.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.