Two bye weeks!

jaybills

It was amazing how depleted the weeks seemed when they tried that two bye week season.  No one expected it but there was a clear difference, and the Sundays were much less exciting with the reduced amount of games.  The effect of adding one game last year was also surprising. It seemed more like 5 games were added. 

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

It was tough for sure but was a labor of love. No internet and no fantasy football mags. My brother started as the Commish but I have been for years now. I was always the stats guy and handled all of the scoring and paper work. We were a 'basic scoring' league (TDs, FGs, & PATs) so it wasn't as bad as trying to run a PPR or fractional league but there were no 'real time' updates.

That's dedication.  So you basically tried to guess which player would throw for or have the most TD's.  Pry no waiver wire pickups or trades I'm guessing. 

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

That's dedication.  So you basically tried to guess which player would throw for or have the most TD's.  Pry no waiver wire pickups or trades I'm guessing. 

Watching whatever games were on local TV and following the scroll at the bottom and the halftime and post-game shows, then verifying via the following day's paper. We would type out league game results and standings and meet up on Monday Nights to watch that night's game and shoot the shite. No waivers, 15 man dynasty/keeper league (eventually 20 players) with trades. First year, my 1st Round pick was Jim Kelly and my 15th Round pick (last) was Randall Cunningham.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, eball said:

INteresting idea.  No clue why it isn’t talked about more.

I see what you did there.

14 hours ago, SCBills said:

2 Preseason Games

18 Regular Season Games

2 Bye Weeks

They can start the season first weekend of September, like College Football, and/or go deeper into February.  Nobody cares about anything but football until March Madness anyway. 

I agree...wish they would start the season Labor Day weekend, like they used to. But the NFL wouldn't like because of lost revenue due to people vacationing. I say: stay home, watch football on Sunday like you are supposed to, and have your barbeque or whatever Monday. School starts that week, so you shouldn't be traveling anyway. September is about football. Life is not all about money.

Edited by chongli

13 hours ago, Logic said:

Between the scheduled bye and two games against the Jets, the Bills already have three weeks off as it is. What more do you want?!

I am not so sure about that. I thought Zach Wilson was getting thick? And Jimmy Spagnola says we had a nice run, but the Jets now have an unstoppable receiver and a guy to smack that smug look of our surfer quarterback’s face:

Edited by chongli
  • Haha (+1) 2

On 7/13/2022 at 5:05 AM, GETTOTHE50 said:

I could seriously use a second bye week myself. I can’t sleep before a game unless I have several drinks and I have to drink after the game to unwind. It’s never been like this before, but the expectation to experience victory is stressful. 

I drank quite a bit less now that we are good. It's still more than 99% of the population but still less.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/13/2022 at 3:45 AM, jaybills said:

Why isn't this seriously discussed more? I hate when any team has an early bye week and play with no break from week 4 or 5 on. Reduce preseason to two games to keep everything legit within the NFL calendar season. 

The players union would also have to agree to this - even with two bye weeks I think the players hate the idea of an 18 week season.  Football is a physical game and I just don’t think players want to expose themselves to that much more of a pounding.

On 7/13/2022 at 12:45 AM, jaybills said:

Why isn't this seriously discussed more? I hate when any team has an early bye week and play with no break from week 4 or 5 on. Reduce preseason to two games to keep everything legit within the NFL calendar season. 

Maybe I'm in the minority but I'd actually prefer no bye weeks.

Even a lot of players have said they don't like the time off especially if they have momentum going and it's also why historically a lot of top seeds have been upset and lost in the playoffs during divisional round because of getting rusty and out of rhythm during the first round bye.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/13/2022 at 8:27 AM, Beast said:

Go to an 18 game schedule. Shut the NFL down for a week twice after the 6th and 12th game, that way all teams have the same bye weeks. Also expand the playoffs by 1 team in each conference and give the playoff teams a week off before the playoffs start.

Trash the pre-season.

Never going to happen. The NFL will NOT close down for two weeks  (or even one week). IMO--but I think it's obvious.

In order to get to 18 games with two byes. They will likely convert a preseason game to a regular season game.  IMO some preseason is necessary. If not for the players and coaches, for the refs/production crews/etc.  Every year there are rookies in those positions, too. There are also rule tweaks and such that need to be implemented. Better to make as many mistakes as possible before the season starts. 

But at this rate, the Super Bowl will be played while baseball spring training is going on. This year it's on February 12th (my birthday, actually). That's pretty late already.

The reason appears to be opposition from NFLPA and NFL not wanting actually NFL regular season to start Labor Day or before.  They had some issues before but I think things have changed.

On 7/13/2022 at 12:36 PM, Charles Romes said:

It was amazing how depleted the weeks seemed when they tried that two bye week season.  No one expected it but there was a clear difference, and the Sundays were much less exciting with the reduced amount of games.  The effect of adding one game last year was also surprising. It seemed more like 5 games were added. 

And the Bills got bye weeks in Weeks 3 and 7! Someone in the NFL didn't like the Bills I guess, lol.

so super bowl during spring training or in the middle of the middle of Daytona 500 racetrack?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.