Two bye weeks!

jaybills

3 hours ago, nucci said:

as a fan, 2 bye weeks suck. I remember when they did this in '93. I hated it 

I respectfully disagree. Here's what 2 bye weeks means for me:

• Negotiating power with the players union. If you give them an extra bye, you can probably ask for an 18th game.
  • Less injuries because players aren't pushing their bodies for consecutive weeks (imagine a week 4 bye and long playoff run)
  • Less random performance impact from early vs late bye weeks.
  • 2 more weeks of NFL football. Just because your team isn't playing doesn't mean the league stops.

It's a no brainer and it's already been discussed in recent ownership meetings.

• Like (+1) 1

I agree about two bye weeks..........but people need to let go of the idea that the owners are going to give away a preseason game.

There will be 20 games played by each team..........one way or another...........that's been the format for the past 50-60 years(they played 6 preseason games during the 14 game format).........the owners aren't giving up a week worth of ticket sales and the local broadcast rights.

The 3rd preseason game will eventually be converted to a regular season game and there will be 18 games with 2 bye weeks and the season will end late in February.   At some point you'd assume the government would coincide President's Days with the Monday after the SB.

I've always wondered if the NFL could just do all the bye weeks in the middle of the season.  Like half the league's bye is week 9, the other half week 10.  Or, if that would leave too few games during those weeks, maybe spread it out among weeks 8-10 (10 byes for two of those weeks, 12 for the other).  It seems like a no-brainer to at least consider but I'm not sure if the NFL has thought about it (tried googling it really quick, didn't see anything).  There could be downsides that I'm not thinking of but overall all teams would pretty much have a bye right in the middle of the season.  It would mean fewer games during those few bye weeks but you'd still have some to watch.  Even during the week of 12 bye teams, you'd have 10 games amongst the 20 who are playing, which gives you a TNF, SNF, and MNF game with 7 other games to spread out among Sunday at 1:00 and 4:00.

20 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

I respectfully disagree. Here's what 2 bye weeks means for me:

• Negotiating power with the players union. If you give them an extra bye, you can probably ask for an 18th game.
  • Less injuries because players aren't pushing their bodies for consecutive weeks (imagine a week 4 bye and long playoff run)
  • Less random performance impact from early vs late bye weeks.
  • 2 more weeks of NFL football. Just because your team isn't playing doesn't mean the league stops.

It's a no brainer and it's already been discussed in recent ownership meetings.

I understand all of this. I just said I don't like it

2 Preseason Games

18 Regular Season Games

2 Bye Weeks

They can start the season first weekend of September, like College Football, and/or go deeper into February.  Nobody cares about anything but football until March Madness anyway. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 games, 2 bye weeks, 1 preseason game. The pandemic showed preseason games are worthless. Paying full ticket price to watch guys that will be bagging groceries two weeks later is ridiculous. This gets you twenty weeks of great football as compared to the 17 of the past and 18 weeks we get now.  More revenue for the league and therefore more revenue for the players. 
Additional benefit of two bye weeks is with proper scheduling most teams that play on Thursday can be given more rest.

7 hours ago, jaybills said:

Why isn't this seriously discussed more? I hate when any team has an early bye week and play with no break from week 4 or 5 on. Reduce preseason to two games to keep everything legit within the NFL calendar season. 

Hey bud, by the league or players or coaches or former inset etc. almost every year.  What keeps coming up between the league and the union in. Serious reports is the notion of an 18 game season will be negotiated going to 2 byes, and 2 preseason games.  

It makes sense to lump the three together from a player safety, and business sense.  It’s not expected

from what reports keep coming out, and

no I didn’t save the articles so just do a google search and you’ll find a lot of stuff.

I’m all for it where 1 bye is in the first 8 and the next bye on the next 4.  More television time, and more time for the guys to heal.  I’ve also heard about a rec. to have at least 1 inter conference or maybe 2 competitive practice weeks for 2-3 days.  You’ll often hear coaches say they get as much from these practices as they do preseason games and can control the play better.

Anyway, good topic brother, but I wouldn’t expect until the next CBA.  I believe the current CBA ends in 2030, so maybe you get you’re wish in 2031.

Its all in the negotiation tactics.

9 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Hey bud, by the league or players or coaches or former inset etc. almost every year.  What keeps coming up between the league and the union in. Serious reports is the notion of an 18 game season will be negotiated going to 2 byes, and 2 preseason games.  

It makes sense to lump the three together from a player safety, and business sense.  It’s not expected

from what reports keep coming out, and

no I didn’t save the articles so just do a google search and you’ll find a lot of stuff.

I’m all for it where 1 bye is in the first 8 and the next bye on the next 4.  More television time, and more time for the guys to heal.  I’ve also heard about a rec. to have at least 1 inter conference or maybe 2 competitive practice weeks for 2-3 days.  You’ll often hear coaches say they get as much from these practices as they do preseason games and can control the play better.

Anyway, good topic brother, but I wouldn’t expect until the next CBA.  I believe the current CBA ends in 2030, so maybe you get you’re wish in 2031.

Its all in the negotiation tactics.

I don't think the owners want to wait 8 more seasons to add an 18th game

16 minutes ago, nucci said:

I don't think the owners want to wait 8 more seasons to add an 18th game

Nucci, no disagreement but one problem.  The CBA.  As you know this has to be negotiated and there are leverage points on either side.

Ill bet a plug nickel ( kidding as I don’t bet) this doesn’t see daylight until 2031. The union will just fight it until they get something they want.

I’d love what I mentioned to happen next year, but I do t see it happening until the CBA.  The next question is who is the 18th partner.  Right now it’s the opposite conference same previous year seeding.  I guess they could go to two NFC teams in our case with #1 seeding as would be easy.  The nice thing is we get 9 home games every year vs. every other.

IDCbut trust me Nuccman, I want it happening as soon as possible.  I just don’t see how you can’t have 1 without the other 2 in 18 games, 2 byes, 2 preseason games.  It’s too logical.  

The last point is when do you start the season or when do you finish?  Do we actually cross the barrier which to me would be preferred and start on Labor Day which they have been dead set against it forever, or do we deal with the season bleeding another week into February.

Edited by machine gun kelly

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Only 28 teams.  No NFL RedZone or Sunday Ticket.  No fantasy football.  No gambling from a cell phone.  It's a lot different than '93.

I've been participating in fantasy football since 1987 when my brother and I put together a league with some buddies (that league is still going today). But, generally, your point is correct. 

Just now, machine gun kelly said:

Nucci, no disagreement but one problem.  The CBA.  As you know this has to be negotiated and there are leverage points on either side.

Ill bet a plug nickel ( kidding as I don’t bet) this doesn’t see daylight until 2031. The union will just fight it until they get something they want.

I’d love what I mentioned to happen next year, but I do t see it happening until the CBA.  The next question is who is the 18th partner.  Right now it’s the opposite conference same previous year seeding.  I guess they could go to two NFC teams in our case with #1 seeding as would be easy.  The nice thing is we get 9 home games every year vs. every other.

IDCbut trust me Nuccman, I want it happening as soon as possible.

No, you're correct. However if the owners want an 18th game before CBA expires, they will get it. Of course it will cost them....

2 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

I've been participating in fantasy football since 1987 when my brother and I put together a league with some buddies (that league is still going today). But, generally, your point is correct. 

That must've been near impossible having to calculate the stats from the box scores every week in a newspaper, putting together a schedule, waiver wire adds, trades, etc...feel bad for the commish.  

15 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

That must've been near impossible having to calculate the stats from the box scores every week in a newspaper, putting together a schedule, waiver wire adds, trades, etc...feel bad for the commish.  

It was tough for sure but was a labor of love. No internet and no fantasy football mags. My brother started as the Commish but I have been for years now. I was always the stats guy and handled all of the scoring and paper work. We were a 'basic scoring' league (TDs, FGs, & PATs) so it wasn't as bad as trying to run a PPR or fractional league but there were no 'real time' updates.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.