Two bye weeks!

jaybills

Why isn't this seriously discussed more? I hate when any team has an early bye week and play with no break from week 4 or 5 on. Reduce preseason to two games to keep everything legit within the NFL calendar season. 

Edited by jaybills
  • Agree 1

I could seriously use a second bye week myself. I can’t sleep before a game unless I have several drinks and I have to drink after the game to unwind. It’s never been like this before, but the expectation to experience victory is stressful. 

Edited by GETTOTHE50
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, jaybills said:

Why isn't this seriously discussed more? I hate when any team has an early bye week and play with no break from week 4 or 5 on. Reduce preseason to two games to keep everything legit within the NFL calendar season. 

Where do you get “this isn’t seriously discussed”? It’s been repeatedly proposed since the NFL began lobbying for more regular season games in earnest. 

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, nucci said:

as a fan, 2 bye weeks suck. I remember when they did this in '93. I hated it 

Only 28 teams.  No NFL RedZone or Sunday Ticket.  No fantasy football.  No gambling from a cell phone.  It's a lot different than '93.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

If they are looking for a way to extend the season, without adding another game, then it's not a bad idea really. It gives guys an additional week off to heal during the regular season. I wouldn't be surprised if another bye is added within the next couple of years. With the physical toll of 17 games and an expanded Playoffs format, where only 1 team gets a bye, I can see the players pushing for it. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, jaybills said:

Because 2 bye weeks sucked.  It added nothing and the league quickly got rid of it.

The only way 2 bye weeks comes back is as part of an 18 game schedule.

Why would the NFL want to get rid of a week of revenue (even preseason) for a bye week?  

It isn’t discussed more because it already failed and will only be used as a bargaining chip to get to the end goal of 18 games.  Everyone knows the current end goal is 18 regular season games, 2 preseason games, and 2 bye weeks.  That is where we end up after the next CBA.

The hope being the NFL can extend the season 2 more weeks and match the Super Bowl with Presidents Day and fulfill most people desires to have the Monday after off. 

11 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Because 2 bye weeks sucked.  It added nothing and the league quickly got rid of it.

The only way 2 bye weeks comes back is as part of an 18 game schedule.

Why would the NFL want to get rid of a week of revenue (even preseason) for a bye week?  

On the contrary. It could potentially generate more revenue if there were 18 weeks of meaningful games.  Sure, there would be 2 weeks off for any given team, but that's more TV exposure for other teams.  TV is where the real money comes from in the NFL.  An 18-week season with 2 bye weeks would mean more TV money.

• Agree 2

Years ago the NFL had two bye weeks.   I remember they discontinued it partly because it diluted the overall quality of each NFL weekend.....basically there were weeks where there were not as many marquee matchups and I believe ratings were impacted or that was believed.  Personally I don't need another bye week....The NFL will end up with 18 games and 2 preseason games...that will generate more revenue than going with 2 bye weeks and 2 preseason games.  Revenue wins these types of decisions.

41 minutes ago, QCity said:

Hold on.    Hear me out.   THREE bye weeks.

Why stop there? Why play any games? Just look at the paper, do a bunch of lists of best players, coaches, etc. Those teams who look the best on paper wins! Or maybe just do Madden simulations? Either way, RIVETING! 

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Only 28 teams.  No NFL RedZone or Sunday Ticket.  No fantasy football.  No gambling from a cell phone.  It's a lot different than '93.

Good points.

31 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The offseason sucks more. 

how is that relevant to my post? I don't think we were comparing bye weeks to the offseason

I’ll say it again. I don’t think they need two bye weeks but I would have the entire league have the same bye week right in the middle of the season. “Bye Week Sunday” would become like a national holiday promoted as a day do things with family and dedicated to acts of community service. All of the other major leagues already do it, by inserting a de facto bye week called their All Star week. In international soccer (football), they do it a couple of times each year so that some of the players can get in a game or two with their respective National teams. 

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’ll say it again. I don’t think they need two bye weeks but I would have the entire league have the same bye week right in the middle of the season. “Bye Week Sunday” would become like a national holiday promoted as a day do things with family and dedicated to acts of community service. All of the other major leagues already do it, by inserting a de facto bye week called their All Star week. In international soccer (football), they do it a couple of times each year so that some of the players can get in a game or two with their respective National teams. 

The league will just take the revenue hit?  The Bye week is about revenue not players resting....that is just a side benefit.

Go to an 18 game schedule. Shut the NFL down for a week twice after the 6th and 12th game, that way all teams have the same bye weeks. Also expand the playoffs by 1 team in each conference and give the playoff teams a week off before the playoffs start.

Trash the pre-season.

Edited by Beast

32 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The NFL will not shut down for a full week

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.