My Man, Chandler81 RIP (Bobby, not me. Don’t get your hopes up)

Chandler#81

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Me and just about every Bills fan that was a kid in the 70s practiced Bob Chandler sideline catches while keeping feet in bounds Bobby style 

4 hours ago, Dopey said:

I sure did.

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Ditto.

32 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Same

Me too, I'm sure I was better at it than all of you,  but it's nice that you tried. 

• Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I wouldn't think he is even in the top 10, especially with the current crew.

In an era of running games, the man led WRs in receiving for 2 straight years and came close to a 3rd.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I realize it is a different era, I considered that.   Bob Chandler wouldn't  make the PS on this team, imo, way too slow.  In fact most of the Bills Super Bowl era players wouldn't make todays squad.

If Bobby Chandler had played today he'd have been a ton better than he was then, and he was excellent then. 

The training and knowledge about training is vastly better now, as is the nutrition, the speed training, the facilities, etc. And Chandler was excellent then. If he played today, he probably wouldn't have had to spend the off-season getting his law degree so he could make enough money to support his family.

He was under-estimated then and now.

He didn't get two second team All-Pros by accident. And while he wasn't lightning fast, he wasn't slow, and he was quick as hell and knew how to get open. And today, with the training, he'd be faster than he was then.

A few years ago, I probably had the same injury Chandler had with that hit he got as a Raider, arterial bleeding from the spleen. I fell about five feet onto the sharp edge of a concrete abutment. They stopped the bleeding and saved my life with what is now called pinhole surgery and is done by sliding the equipment through blood vessels to the scene. That's not how they did the surgery in Chandler's day. And I can guarantee you I wouldn't have been willing to play pro football six weeks after I got the injury.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Pete said:

Me and just about every Bills fan that was a kid in the 70s practiced Bob Chandler sideline catches while keeping feet in bounds Bobby style 

5 hours ago, Dopey said:

I sure did.

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Ditto.

Oh my God, yes. Over and over and over and over. 

9 hours ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

I'd take Diggs over Chandler. Who else? Not Gabe Davis yet. A single game does not a career make. 

Statistics between eras need to be taken in context as well. I'd rate him over Beasley too.

(and yes, my Forum name is indicative of my thoughts on the Greatness of Bobby Chandler!) 

Bob Chandler was a really good WR in an era where playing the position was not easy.  DB's could really be physical and abusive to WR's back then.  I remember he was fun to watch.  How long did he play for the Bills?

57 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

If that is meant to be some kind of joke, let me just say: Too Soon. You think a quarter century gives you a free pass?

RIP Bob, 1949-1995.

Dam he was young.  Did he die from lung cancer?  Something makes me think that.  But I am not for sure.

8 hours ago, without a drought said:

Me too, I'm sure I was better at it than all of you,  but it's nice that you tried. 

Used to do it on the street. The street was inbounds and you'd keep your feet in and fall on the grass.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.