Steelers stadium will now be called Acrisure Stadium

Greg S

They need to replace head coach with Gregg Williams so there can be meeting between Gregg Williams (NFL coach) and Greg Williams (Acrisure president).

Heinz Field has a new name, and Steelers fans hate it

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2022/07/11/heinz-field-naming-rights-deal-acrisure-stadium/stories/202207110054

For 21 years, Pittsburgh’s football stadium was named after one of the most visible food brands in the world. One that had deep local roots. Now, it’s named after an insurance company many people have never heard of. 

Heinz Field will become Acrisure Stadium in 2022 after the Steelers sold the naming rights to the Michigan-based firm for an undisclosed amount. 

And fans absolutely hate it. The name was nearly universally panned after news of the name change trickled out Monday morning.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I wonder if the Rooney's or the city of Pittsburgh control naming rights?

Looks like it's the Steelers:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/steelers-heinz-field-renamed-acrisure-stadium-as-part-of-new-15-year-naming-rights-agreement/#:~:text=And now Acrisure%2C a Michigan,II said in a statement.

"We are excited to partner with Acrisure for the naming rights to our stadium," Steelers President Art Rooney II said in a statement. "Acrisure provided us with an opportunity to ensure our stadium continues to be a valuable asset for our fans as well as keeping up with the market value of NFL stadiums. We are very appreciative to partner with Greg Williams and his company, and we look forward to a long, beneficial relationship for years to come."

• Like (+1) 1

This is a terrible name - much worse than Highmark.  At least Highmark is easy to read, spell, and pronounce.  And the words "high" and "mark" used together imply some level of success.  Acrisure?  Not so much.  I'm not even (acri)sure what this means.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

This is a terrible name - much worse than Highmark.  At least Highmark is easy to read, spell, and pronounce.  And the words "high" and "mark" used together imply some level of success.  Acrisure?  Not so much.  I'm not even (acri)sure what this means.

Sounds like accupuncture...or acrid...or acrimonious 

Edited by Big Turk

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I thought nothing could be worse than Highmark 

I was wrong.

Before the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia (and the previously-named Wachovia Center), it was the First Union Center. I often referred to it pejoratively as the "FU Center".

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

It's pronounced aceianadjfkciwj d jdjsjdjise

It’s catchy for sure, but I think I’ll just call it The Ralph II. 

I can never keep those top women’s tennis players straight, and this doesn’t help! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.