I am taking this bet-What are Sean McDermott's odds to win Coach of the Year?

17 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

What if Buffalo runs the table 17-0 ??  Then what ?

I said tough, undefeated regular season surely qualifies since if has only happened twice in the SB era. If he does that and isn't unanimous... Well i will be mildly annoyed.

The team would have to be completely decimated by illness or injuries by week 3 with a roster completely comprised of 2nd and 3rd stringers from there on out with a record of 3-7 with blowout, lopsided loses up to that point only to have it turn around and win a SB.

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

COY are usually for guys whose teams that defy the odds, overperform, come out of nowhere, etc.

So even if the Bills live up to the hype this year and make it to the SB or win it I'm not sure why McD would be in the the COY conversation because they'd be doing exactly what everyone expected them to do.

But I don’t think anybody thinks it is going to be easy for Buffalo and if McD makes it look easy we could win it I guess.

Sweep the East again and I think it crosses off three strong contenders in Patsies, fish and the jests…. 
I don’t think the Bills have a super roster in any way. Just a super QB and a very good team with some depth problems….

I think we might just have the right attitude this year to go all the way and take no prisoners along the way….

Couldn’t McD win it with a kick ass year?

55 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Last year 2021, it was Feb 10 and the SB was Feb 7.

Not sure what the point is here.  I said it was early Feb and from the regular season.  It was already picked before the playoffs started is what I said.  Unless you are saying they took 2 days to get the votes from everyone right after the superbowl and then announced it.

It’s a judgement of the regular season so the votes are in before the playoffs start.  Every comment about having to make the SB is irrelevant in that the vote is in.

Week 18 is McD’s last chance to convince voters he’s COY. As I mentioned in he deserved it a helluva lot more than Stefanski in 2020.  We broke out as we all know from 10-6 and knocked out of the playoffs to crazy numbers with 13-3.

I’m not Sure what McD can do to make this would happen as he’s already expected with this team to be in contention for the SB.  The one thing I’m guessing that could help is securing the #1 seed, and with this cast of characters he wins convincingly against some of the top teams.

19 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Not sure what the point is here.  I said it was early Feb and from the regular season.  It was already picked before the playoffs started is what I said.  Unless you are saying they took 2 days to get the votes from everyone right after the superbowl and then announced it.

No Wiz, just giving you color to you’re right bud.  I know it’s a regular season vote.

• Like (+1) 1

The fact that the Bills are the preseason favorite by many to win the Super Bowl Makes it just about impossible for him to win Coach of the Year.    If the Bills win it all, well, that's just what was expected.  Anything else is a disappointment.  

2 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

The fact that the Bills are the preseason favorite by many to win the Super Bowl Makes it just about impossible for him to win Coach of the Year.    If the Bills win it all, well, that's just what was expected.  Anything else is a disappointment.  

I think there is still a decent chance if the Bills can do what they're supposed to and are dominant in the regular season and get the 1 seed. His best chance seemed to be two years ago when the Bills won the AFC East and he was getting all the talk for turning around the franchise. But that's still there and as long the Bills don't underperform he's got a shot at it.

18 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

But I don’t think anybody thinks it is going to be easy for Buffalo and if McD makes it look easy we could win it I guess.

Sweep the East again and I think it crosses off three strong contenders in Patsies, fish and the jests…. 
I don’t think the Bills have a super roster in any way. Just a super QB and a very good team with some depth problems….

I think we might just have the right attitude this year to go all the way and take no prisoners along the way….

Couldn’t McD win it with a kick ass year?

If this team wins 15 or 16 games in the regular season and is dominant throughout including the PO's and a SB win then you probably could argue COY for McD, but again many fans and media already have the belief this team might do just that anyway.

Vrabel won COY last year despite expectations of the titans being in the PO/SB picture, but he did list after losing their best player to injury during the middle of the season (and dealing with other key injuries most of year) so this was a 'defying the odds' situation. So I guess McD could also be considered in a similar scenario if we were to get hit with the injury bug.

My guess is 12-14 wins is the ceiling/floor with this group assuming injuries don't play a factor. Unless the Bills win the Super Bowl I can't see him winning it. As others have mentioned the Bills are expected to win this year. It will be hard for McDermott to win COTY.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.