Gabriel Davis getting ready for training camp in Orlando at UCF with Isaiah Hodgins and.......Sammy Watkins?!?!

Special K

8 hours ago, unbillievable said:

Sammy admitted that he was lazy in Buffalo. Didn't prepare and just showed up to games. The same for Marshawn Lynch and Marcel Dareus.

That was part of the Culture change with Mcdermott. Players used to view Buffalo as the place where your Career goes to die, so they didn't put in the effort.

The Bills have had a ton of coaches over the years that didn't develop players correctly especially when it came to the QB's the Bills drafted i think they have had some talented players but not only does it take the talent of that player but the talent of the coaches to take them to the next step !

If Josh would have been with lets say Doug Marrone i don't think he would be the QB he is now just look at the likes of Josh Rosen his career is all but over & i think in part that was some of not only the situations he was in but coaching EJ Manual was another one that went the way Rosen went .

Strong arm good scrambling ability - bad O lines & ground game mixed with terrible coaching decisions & the dude is now a color commentator .

So glad the Bills have McD & Beane & despite the fact that some here think McD needs to be gone i'm in the mind set to do what the Steelers have done find a really good coach & stick with him sure he may not go to the SB every year & there will be ebbs & flows but we will always have respectful play off teams .

And players like Davis will want to be here because of that fact .

Edited by T master
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

The fact Sammy Watkins isn’t closing in on every All-Time Bills WR record right now pisses me off. Kid had the talent to be a Hall of Famer.

But did he though? Or were the evaluators maybe just wrong?

I don't know the answer. However he has had a lot of opportunities to still be that and has not.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Special K said:

I looked everywhere to find a clip of the local news report that interviewed Davis as he prepares for the upcoming season, but couldn't find it, but I wanted to share because something very eye opening was said by Sammy Watkins in the interview.

First, they talked to Davis....he said he is aware that the Bills are expecting him to step up into the number 2 receiver position, and he is ready for the challenge...said he is putting in the extra work to justify the faith the coaching staff has placed in him.....loves to practice in the 95 degree heat and 70 percent humidity of Florida, because if you can train through that, you will be ready for anything the season throws your way.....Great stuff from a guy who we all know is a self-motivated, hard working McBeane type of player.

Then we get to Sammy Watkins🙄🙄.......Watkins says he can learn a lot from a guy like Davis in terms of training to get ready for a football season even though Gabe Davis is a younger player than he is....he added: Coming into the league, I never really knew how to train to get ready for the season...learning some of the training routines Davis goes through will really help me going forward this season and in the future......WTF!!!!!

This just goes to show how pathetic the previous regime was, if we didn't know already.....trading up to number 4 to draft a guy who has no idea how to get ready for a football season??? Then, having him here for a few years, and still not teaching him anything about how to prepare your body and mind for the rigors of an NFL season??? No wonder he was hurt all of the time....I guess thats why McBeane couldn't wait to get rid of that clown!!

I'm so glad we have guys like Davis and Diggs in the Bills WR corps over a loser like Watkins!

Can't wait to see how well Davis is going to do this year as WR2!!

Go Bills!!

I have googled and watched a ton of videos for this. There are tons and tons of links and videos. But the line you are coming up with doesn't exist. I cannot find anything other than Sammy saying working with Gabe has been great, even though he is young he thinks Davis could be a special receiver and they are all learning from each other.

Based on the tone of everything I have read and listened to, I have to imagine you are conflating that Sammy said he had no idea how to prepare for the NFL for the last decade with "Gabe is ahead of the curve from when I came into the league. I didn't know shirt". 

Relax a little man. 

https://www.si.com/college/ucf/university-of-central-florida-football/gabriel-davis-brings-nfl-players-ucf

3 hours ago, Buftex said:

Too bad, because if the guy could have just gotten right, he was tremendously talented. Even though we view his time in a Bills uniform as a big failure, or disappointment, he still put up really good numbers, when he was healthy.  On teams that were very offensively limited.

The above is certainly true. The trade to acquire Watkins was a shining, glaring example of utter stupidity. We had no QB and no OL, yet Whaley gave away the strore for a wide receiver.

In this sense, his talent level didn't matter so much. Who was going to protect a second rate qb trying to throw Watkins passes? 

I knew all of this the day that he was drafted.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

The above is certainly true. The trade to acquire Watkins was a shining, glaring example of utter stupidity. We had no QB and no OL, yet Whaley gave away the strore for a wide receiver.

In this sense, his talent level didn't matter so much. Who was going to protect a second rate qb trying to throw Watkins passes? 

We had just drafted EJ the year before.  Sammy had the skills to play all over the field and be a matchup nightmare.  He could burn defenses deep, and if they played off the ball he used to kill them with screen passes. Thats the kind of talent you want to pair with a young QB.  Too bad Buffalo never did anything to get him the ball when he was the only legit NFL talent on the roster and he turned out to be a headcase.  

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Hmmm…95 deg/70% humidity training will prepare him to play the Dolphins 🐬, yes, but when is the workout sesh in North Cascades National Park??

https://www.roadiscalling.com/places-that-have-snow-all-year-round-usa/

I was thinking about how athletes will also train at high altitude to create that increase from what would/could be considered normal to gain an advantage in their conditioning. I buy into it. And training in heat, acclimating ones self to adverse conditions to better b e able to handle them in the regular season reads logical and smart to me. Driven Yes. Willing to go beyond "the usual" regimen is to me inspiring.

But the human body and extreme heat need to be dealt with very professionally. The idea of "training in heat" kind of gives me the creeps to be honest.  I've had heat stroke it is miserable just sayin'

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Sammy is from the area. This is just a couple local pros working out. But yes, Sammy is a waste case.

Indeed, when ya think the earth is flat, its a tell tail…, 😂

47 minutes ago, Mango said:

I have googled and watched a ton of videos for this. There are tons and tons of links and videos. But the line you are coming up with doesn't exist. I cannot find anything other than Sammy saying working with Gabe has been great, even though he is young he thinks Davis could be a special receiver and they are all learning from each other.

Based on the tone of everything I have read and listened to, I have to imagine you are conflating that Sammy said he had no idea how to prepare for the NFL for the last decade with "Gabe is ahead of the curve from when I came into the league. I didn't know shirt". 

Relax a little man. 

https://www.si.com/college/ucf/university-of-central-florida-football/gabriel-davis-brings-nfl-players-ucf

It was a local news report down here in Orlando focused mostly on Gabe Davis.....I'm mad that they don't have a link anywhere. There was only one soundbite from Watkins, that's when he made the comment, then the report went right back to talking about Gabe.

I'm not angry about what he said, just surprised.

I just wanted to make the point about the stunning difference in work ethic between Davis, a guy McBeane drafted, and Watkins, a guy McBeane couldn't wait to get rid of. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Sammy is from the area. This is just a couple local pros working out. But yes, Sammy is a waste case.

Did he move to Orlando?  He is from Fort Myers and was living there when with the Bills...I know cause he was my parents neighbor 

8 hours ago, maddenboy said:

it sounds more like Sammy is begging for another, nother, nother chance

"Wait, I can change!  I am still trying to learn.   Even from young guys.  I'm Coachable!!!  Pleeeeeeeeeze gimme some more free money to run around and not get hurt much and not work super hard.  I love the NFL"

Stick to Madden.

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Special K said:

It was a local news report down here in Orlando focused mostly on Gabe Davis.....I'm mad that they don't have a link anywhere. There was only one soundbite from Watkins, that's when he made the comment, then the report went right back to talking about Gabe.

I'm not angry about what he said, just surprised.

I just wanted to make the point about the stunning difference in work ethic between Davis, a guy McBeane drafted, and Watkins, a guy McBeane couldn't wait to get rid of. 

We are lucky that we have such a high character hard working WR in Gabe Davis.  If he stays healthy he will definitely be a force in the NFL for many years.  Great pick by Beane.  But you sound a bit harsh on Sammy.  Guy was a tremendous raw physical talent in his early years in the league.  But not everyone has the right stuff between the ears.  The guy didn't seem to be a bad dude.  He just probably did not have the focus needed to be a star.  Guy was kind of quirky.  A little different.  And probably had some issues w alcohol.  And he had the foot and ankle issues that were always nicking him up. 

Stevie Johnson was quirky and a little different also.  The difference was he seemed to be a harder worker then Sammy.  And he came into the league from Kentucky as a much lower draft pick.  With not nearly the expectations of Sammy.  My point is that these are young men when they come into the NFL.  Like in all professions, it is really hard to predict how someone in the early to mid 20's is going to pan out.  Some become stars at what they do.  Some are decent, having their moments but never ascend to stardom.  And some are lazy loserish trolls who never amount to much.  Football is no different.  It is a microcosm of society.  At least Sammy is still playing.  And we have Gabe.  And Diggs, and Crowder and Mckenzie and the rookie from Boise, and Knox and OJ Howard and maybe Hudgins.  So its all good.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

We had just drafted EJ the year before.  Sammy had the skills to play all over the field and be a matchup nightmare.  He could burn defenses deep, and if they played off the ball he used to kill them with screen passes. Thats the kind of talent you want to pair with a young QB.  Too bad Buffalo never did anything to get him the ball when he was the only legit NFL talent on the roster and he turned out to be a headcase.  

Him not getting the ball was a combination of EJ's lack of vision and accuracy combined with Watkins ' lack of preparation. Just a match made in hell. 

For those that followed his college career, were there indications of slacking off and being generally disinterested? I would think scouts can smell this kind of stuff. The idea to get a game breaking receiver to pair with a young QB was a good one. But the player was wrong. Frustratingly so. 

Davis OTOH is trending in the direction of maximization of his talent - the most we can expect of any player. I hope Davis puts his niggling injuries behind him as he has shown he can make the tough catches and be a true #2 

3 hours ago, T master said:

The Bills have had a ton of coaches over the years that didn't develop players correctly especially when it came to the QB's the Bills drafted i think they have had some talented players but not only does it take the talent of that player but the talent of the coaches to take them to the next step !

I don't really think there were many talented qb's that were ruined because of our coaches. Trent Edwards and EJ Manual simply didn't have NFL talent. JP Losman was a good athlete with a strong arm, but didn't have the intelligence to be an NFL qb (similar to Drew Lock)

Edited by Allen2Diggs

11 hours ago, unbillievable said:

Sammy admitted that he was lazy in Buffalo. Didn't prepare and just showed up to games. The same for Marshawn Lynch and Marcel Dareus.

That was part of the Culture change with Mcdermott. Players used to view Buffalo as the place where your Career goes to die, so they didn't put in the effort.

Exactly, nothing new here.

8 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Him not getting the ball was a combination of EJ's lack of vision and accuracy combined with Watkins ' lack of preparation. Just a match made in hell. 

For those that followed his college career, were there indications of slacking off and being generally disinterested? I would think scouts can smell this kind of stuff. The idea to get a game breaking receiver to pair with a young QB was a good one. But the player was wrong. Frustratingly so. 

Davis OTOH is trending in the direction of maximization of his talent - the most we can expect of any player. I hope Davis puts his niggling injuries behind him as he has shown he can make the tough catches and be a true #2 

Watkins was plenty prepared to play early in his career.  The offensive masterminds of Marrone and Can't Hackett  decided that everything Sammy did in college should just be tossed out the window.  Bubble screens were called "free yards" at Clemson and Sammy would rip those for 8 to 10 yards every down.  I don't think Hackett called it once.  Quick slants, screens, pitches, get the ball in your only playmakers hands.  Instead they used him to go deep with a QB that wouldn't attempt that throw.

Sammy's big problem was he didn't put in the work to get healthy and stay healthy.  Pretty sure he was playing pickup basketball when reinjured his broken foot.  Then the came the tendonitis issues and everything else that comes with bad rehab  He is a gifted athlete but he admittedly coasted on his ability rather than maximize his potential.  

I don't know what that means but I'm pretty sure you aren't allowed to use that word.

21 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I don't know what that means but I'm pretty sure you aren't allowed to use that word.

From Merriam-Webster:

Definition of niggling : PETTY

also : bothersome or persistent especially in a petty or tiresome way - niggling injuries

First known use of the word was in the year 1599.

Edited by RangerDave
spelling
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Special K said:

Then we get to Sammy Watkins🙄🙄.......Watkins says he can learn a lot from a guy like Davis in terms of training to get ready for a football season even though Gabe Davis is a younger player than he is....he added: Coming into the league, I never really knew how to train to get ready for the season...learning some of the training routines Davis goes through will really help me going forward this season and in the future......WTF!!!!!

I think you're hearing more than he's saying.

He's just talking about how as he looks back he feels he didn't know much, and that Davis does.

And while some of that can be said to be down to the team, a ton of it is down to the player and how well he listens and takes it in. How well he goes beyond what's asked. How early in the workout he thinks he's done enough and can start to dog it a bit. How much of a dog he is. Fair enough that Sammy didn't really know much about how to get it done. Bobby Trees did on the same team. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Counter point. If EJ was Allen instead, would that trade be so bad without the ability of hindsight? Sammy was one of the best college receiver prospects. He was thought to be can’t miss. The fact that good teams keep bringing him in speaks to his talent. Complete weirdo and made out of glass. 

also, hope you’ve been well Bill. 🍺

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think the regime that drafted Watkins placed as much emphasis on attitude, football intelligence etc. as McBeane does.  They looked for physical talent that Watkins has in abundance.  I don't wish ill for Watkins now.  Hopefully, he has gained some in the mental aspect of the game and can salvage what's left of his career.  With Aaron Rodgers as his QB in Green Bay, he has a chance to do some good things this year.  At 29, he could have some good years left in him. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.