FIFA Puts a Sensor in the Ball

Bob Lamb

32 minutes ago, Augie said:

Didn’t the USFL just do the same thing? I suspect that is one of the first things they steal from the USFL. 

You are correct - having never watched a USFL game - I did not know

https://www.fierceelectronics.com/iot-wireless/sensors-inside-usfl-footballs-debut-judging-first-downs#:~:text=The USFL will deploy sensor

11 minutes ago, Bob Lamb said:

I’ve never seen more than a couple minutes of USFL, but I remembered that being talked about and it made sense to me. I mean, they have the technology, so why not? A lot of guessing taking place with the current system, especially with a typical 3rd and short up the middle inside the scrum. I have no idea where the ball actually is! 

I have had this thought for a while. Chips like this would be easy to implant into a football en masse. Im not worried about that aspect. But how to assure accuracy aka the sensor goes off when it should. When a ball crosses the plain, spotting the ball on the field for a first down? I mean I am not sure such a technology is a failsafe by any means. It doesn't factor when a player is down or not before the ball might indeed cross the plain.... Plus like augie said in a scrum it would be practically useless *shrugs*

I think a lot of bugs would need tweaking but the idea is intriguing  ...did it work in the USFL?

1 minute ago, TBBills said:

I don't watch USFL

Nor do I, so far. But I know they can afford all the balls they need. I think the most interesting thing about the USFL so far, at least to me, is waiting to see what and how the NFL adopts some of their innovations. 

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

NFL uses a ton of Footballs for each game, both teams have a huge bag of their own balls they use throughout. 

i bet in the $9B budget they can absorb it. You really think it is a cost concern?

it still comes with issues of when the play stops which isn’t a soccer concern. I’d be curious if it was helpful in usfl play

https://sports.yahoo.com/yes-the-nfl-puts-microchips-in-footballs-but-theyre-not-ready-for-prime-time-on-key-calls-yet-170309841.html

Yes, the NFL puts microchips in footballs, but they’re not ready for prime time on key calls – yet

For decades, the NFL has relied on stripe-shirted humans with imperfect judgement and obstructed views to spot footballs; to determine whether runners reach yard lines or goal lines; to pinpoint where balls cross sidelines. In real-time, it’s often impossible. Even on replay, it can be difficult.

But in 2017, the league inserted a coin-sized microchip into its footballs. The chips unlocked a bottomless vault of data, and an ability to track the ball’s location. Initially, they weren’t used to aid referees. According to people with knowledge of the NFL’s technology, that’s changing.

17 hours ago, muppy said:

I have had this thought for a while. Chips like this would be easy to implant into a football en masse. Im not worried about that aspect. But how to assure accuracy aka the sensor goes off when it should. When a ball crosses the plain, spotting the ball on the field for a first down? I mean I am not sure such a technology is a failsafe by any means. It doesn't factor when a player is down or not before the ball might indeed cross the plain.... Plus like augie said in a scrum it would be practically useless *shrugs*

I think a lot of bugs would need tweaking but the idea is intriguing  ...did it work in the USFL?

Why limit it to the Cornhusker games?

So there is one chip in an object that is 11 inches long, right?  We assume it is roughly at some center point.

When you have the ref using the width of a credit card to determine the first down on a measurement, seems like an error of 5.5 inches (half the ball length) would be problematic in determining first downs

19 hours ago, Bob Lamb said:

19 hours ago, Augie said:

Didn’t the USFL just do the same thing? I suspect that is one of the first things they steal from the USFL. 

Indeed they did. There was no chain gang in the USFL. Ball spotting and 4th down measurements were instantaneous.

18 hours ago, muppy said:

Very well. I watched a lot of USFL games. That league had many ideas the NFL ought to consider: chipped balls, 3pt PAT option, non-kick onside option (convert 4th & 12 from your own 25.) mic'd up refs, auto-review of all personal foul/roughing calls, 15yd PI, clock stoppage after 1st down inside 2 minutes (actually that's a college rule.) Clock NOT stopping after incomplete passes outside of 2 minutes remaining in the half.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Very well. I watched a lot of USFL games. That league had many ideas the NFL ought to consider: chipped balls, 3pt PAT option, non-kick onside option (convert 4th & 12 from your own 25.) mic'd up refs, auto-review of all personal foul/roughing calls, 15yd PI, clock stoppage after 1st down inside 2 minutes (actually that's a college rule.) Clock NOT stopping after incomplete passes outside of 2 minutes remaining in the half.

Did it speed up the game?

On 7/11/2022 at 7:31 AM, Bob in Mich said:

So there is one chip in an object that is 11 inches long, right?  We assume it is roughly at some center point.

When you have the ref using the width of a credit card to determine the first down on a measurement, seems like an error of 5.5 inches (half the ball length) would be problematic in determining first downs

The only real solution is sensors covering the whole surface of the ball.  But then you need to have a conduit from the ball, through the ball carriers elbows, knees, and rear to the surface to indicate when and where a player is down.  Now I know what you're thinking, thats all fine and well but the players wear rubber sole shoes which are non-conductive so this elaborate system still doesn't indicate if a player has tapped their toes in field of play.  Basically we need to rethink equipment, the playing surface and the ball entirely. I have developed some 3D renderings that I think show real promise.  See below:

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.