Bills Coach Sean McDermott Details Skin Cancer Battle

HOUSE

With a history of skin cancer in his family, as well as his own personal battle, Buffalo Bills’ coach Sean McDermott knows the value of taking precautions.

But now, it’s a daily thing in terms of my job being primarily outside, at least 50% of it, so if I don’t (wear sun-protective clothing, long pants, hat, and sunblock) — I probably won’t be around much longer.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffalo-coach-sean-mcdermott-skin-cancer-training-camp

• Like (+1) 3

It's poo pooed as "only" skin cancer.

I went for a doctor check up 2014, I asked about scab that wouldn't heal on my temple. Oh, you're getting older he said, age spots are going to happen. 4 years later, went to Dermatologist for problem with my scalp, dry, skin wouldn't  heal. She asked, whats that on your temple? Oh, I said it's just an age spot. Lol!

She took a biopsy, cancer, a tumor about the size of a wisdom tooth was taken out of my head. Crazy! 

You can get it on your feet, shins, ears. Be careful out there TBD'ers.

Great post HOUSE during this summertime we all love to enjoy as a reminder to be edcuated about the dangers of the sun. 

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 3

Bring back the hat

image.png.821b4b4874c946f21796485a9e0305e9.png

2 minutes ago, PonyBoy said:

It's poo pooed as "only" skin cancer.

I went for a doctor check up 2014, I asked about scab that wouldn't heal on my temple. Oh, you're getting older he said, age spots are going to happen. 4 years later, went to Dermatologist for problem with my scalp, dry, skin wouldn't  heal. She asked, whats that on your temple? Oh, I said it's just an age spot. Lol!

She took a biopsy, cancer, a tumor about the size of a wisdom tooth was taken out of my head. Crazy! 

You can get it on your feet, shins, ears. Be careful out there TBD'ers.

Great post HOUSE during this summertime we all love to enjoy as a reminder to be edcuated about the dangers of the sun. 

Go Bills!

I had a similar  tumor 6 weeks ago....removed and now I have a nasty scare.....

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He got skin cancer again?

He should stay away from "skin cancer training camp"..

I know you meant this as funny. It's not.

More families are affected by skin cancer than you realize. It gets worse the later you and your family members age.

I have been there personally and seen it spread. It's not funny or a 'light issue'.

Add to it that simple 'elective procedures' like cancer screenings were stopped for almost a year in NY due to 'the pandemic'.

Cancer deaths are now through the roof. I've seen a few sources show that non-COVID deaths among 18-59 are 40% higher than expected by insurance companies.

My non-conspiracy brain tells me that 'elective screenings' like skin cancer biopsies/ colonoscopies/ paps etc are important to catching early cancers and preventing premature death. But those were suspended and are now backed up since thousands of health care workers were thrown out like garbage in NYS.

We will see a death bump in preventable cancer deaths in the next few years due to attitudes like yours and policies from Albany.

Is that still funny to you?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RocCityRoller said:

I know you meant this as funny. It's not.

More families are affected by skin cancer than you realize. It gets worse the later you and your family members age.

I have been there personally and seen it spread. It's not funny or a 'light issue'.

Add to it that simple 'elective procedures' like cancer screenings were stopped for almost a year in NY due to 'the pandemic'.

Cancer deaths are now through the roof. I've seen a few sources show that non-COVID deaths among 18-59 are 40% higher than expected by insurance companies.

My non-conspiracy brain tells me that 'elective screenings' like skin cancer biopsies/ colonoscopies/ paps etc are important to catching early cancers and preventing premature death. But those were suspended and are now backed up since thousands of health care workers were thrown out like garbage in NYS.

We will see a death bump in preventable cancer deaths in the next few years due to attitudes like yours and policies from Albany.

I had a melanoma on my nose required 3 surgeries including a rotation flap to cover the 1cm defect.  

im not mocking the disease, but the fact that this same story comes out every training camp about McD and his brush with death.  it’s old news 

• Vomit 1
  • Dislike 2

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Bring back the hat

image.png.821b4b4874c946f21796485a9e0305e9.png

I had a similar  tumor 6 weeks ago....removed and now I have a nasty scare.....

Glad you got it taken care of. I avoid the sun as much as I can now given where I live. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

Skin cancer is no joke.  I've had a minor surgical procedure and one series of radiation treatments.  My doctor believed my two issues were the result of sun exposure from as far back as my childhood in Western New York.  The lessons are pretty straight forward.  Get regular checkups and protect yourself from serious future exposures.  Tanning is no less harmful than a sunburn and both have cumulative effects.  Take steps to protect your children and grandchildren also.  They will appreciate not having to deal with the cancer.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's certainly Nothing to mess around with.

My wife, a Florida girl, had a pimple on her upper lip, that wasn't normal, and wouldn't go away.  Had Mohs surgery, lost 1/4 of her lip.  Great reconstructive surgery, and she's fine now.  That was 14 years ago.   She also had breast cancer, last summer.  She gets a mammogram again next month, so praying for that to be OK.  

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

Wow - that SUX about not being able to get scans in NYS.  Thankfully I have been and continue to get scans down here in Floriduh and have had a quarter sized chunk of skin (melanoma) removed from my shoulder about 18 months ago and a recent Mohs procedure for Basel cell on my honker.  

So no - it ISN'T funny....not at all.

Sunscreen folks....it really does help, specially if you start young......ain't cool being dead.

On 7/9/2022 at 8:56 PM, RocCityRoller said:

1. COVID ravaged my neighborhood and my wife's family locally with at LEAST 5 deaths that we know of, so yeah you putting the pandemic in quotes is REALLY insulting, on the same level as someone laughing.

2. Health care workers were "thrown out" because they refused to have a simple vaccine shot and denied the science... people in the medical field denying science is a BAD thing so yeah, your ire is unwarranted.

Spare me your outrage when you so callously discount COVID and the massive loss of human life it caused and the misery that followed the losses. I can already guess you deny the harmful effects of Long COVID as well...

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

McClappy’s was squamous. Squamous/basal skin cancers are NOT a “brush with death”. Melanoma is the deadly 1% skin cancer, he didn’t have. 

I’ve had 7 basal. My kids joke that I’m a cancer survivor but frankly calling non melanoma a “brush with death” is a disservice to anyone with many real tough disease (MS, lupus, blindness, etc)  

…he came nowhere near mr. grim reaper. let actual football start….soooon!

• Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.