The Next Ryan Bates.

BigAl2526

4 hours ago, gobills404 said:

That’s who I thought this thread was gonna be about

He seems like he’d be a great personality in the locker room but I’m not holding my breath

1089 out of 1215, I would say he's more likely to be the next Ed Wang

• Haha (+1) 4

14 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Can Tommy Doyle step in? The 2nd line active roster depth is equally important. It’s great developing guys for beyond the current season, but I also have high expectations in Beane & Co to find guys who can step in and provide immediate impact. I see the beating both OL & DL take as the highest importance.

I thought it was interesting that in the latter half of the season they seemed to be developing Doyle in the same way they were developing Brown in the first half of the season-- playing him in garbage time, putting him in on extra points, and field goals, and using him as a sixth O-linesman, a la Lee Smith. And now, in OTAs, it was reported that they were putting him in at guard (a 6'8" guard?!), I assume to develop the position flex that they require in backups.

I don't think he'll be the first choice for anywhere on the line if one of the starting five go down, but I think they have him in their future plans.

And now they have another 6'8" monster in Luke Tenuta!

5 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I thought it was interesting that in the latter half of the season they seemed to be developing Doyle in the same way they were developing Brown in the first half of the season-- playing him in garbage time, putting him in on extra points, and field goals, and using him as a sixth O-linesman, a la Lee Smith. And now, in OTAs, it was reported that they were putting him in at guard (a 6'8" guard?!), I assume to develop the position flex that they require in backups.

I don't think he'll be the first choice for anywhere on the line if one of the starting five go down, but I think they have him in their future plans.

And now they have another 6'8" monster in Luke Tenuta!

Good thing Josh is 6'5".

• Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Doc said:

Good thing Josh is 6'5".

This got me wondering how the Cardinal's O-line stacked up, so to speak:

LT Humphreys -- 6'5"

LG Pugh -- 6'5"

C Hudson -- 6'2"

RG Hernandez -- 6'2"

RT Beachum -- 6'3"

(Bills' starters are 6'5", 6'5", 6'6", 6'4", 6'8", respectively)

Did Arizona build Kyler Murray a window?

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Who was the last Ryan Bates?

Boy, that’s a good question…This is a great example of our losing ways over the last 20 years or so…

I think great teams get good players late in the draft and even in FA….

The only guys I can think of are Kyle Williams, Fred Jackson and Pat Williams…. Two are destined for the wall and third would be if stupid Donahoe didn’t sign Lawyer Milloy like a complete douche bag…. Winfield would also be a slam dunk wall candidate.

1 hour ago, billybrew1 said:

Boy, that’s a good question…This is a great example of our losing ways over the last 20 years or so…

I think great teams get good players late in the draft and even in FA….

The only guys I can think of are Kyle Williams, Fred Jackson and Pat Williams…. Two are destined for the wall and third would be if stupid Donahoe didn’t sign Lawyer Milloy like a complete douche bag…. Winfield would also be a slam dunk wall candidate.

Can we wait until Bates gets his 5th NFL start before he goes up on the wall?

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

So that would make it 3 Ryan Bateses in a row?

His legend is ever growing....

Bates Cubed?

what’s next?  To the 4th Power.

10 hours ago, CSBill said:

1089 out of 1215, I would say he's more likely to be the next Ed Wang

It’s always good when you can find you’re Wang.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Can Tommy Doyle step in? The 2nd line active roster depth is equally important. It’s great developing guys for beyond the current season, but I also have high expectations in Beane & Co to find guys who can step in and provide immediate impact. I see the beating both OL & DL take as the highest importance.

Tommy Doyle will compete to be a swing tackle.  He's taken some snaps on the interior of the line, but at 6'8" not too many people think his future is anywhere but at tackle.  He's got some athleticism in addition to his size, but he'll be competing against experience in Quessenberry.  I think he make the roster, but he may not be the first guy in if Dawkins or Brown gets hurt. 

Tanner Owen is the other UDFA offensive lineman that I like.  Kerstetter had more reps in the bench press, (225 lbs,) but Owen has longer arms.  He's tough and durable.  Like Kerstetter, he won't make the 53 man roster, but if the Bills think highly enough of him they could stick him on the PS.  I think the difference between Owen and Kerstetter is that Owen's best spot on the line might be at tackle, specifically left tackle where he mostly played in college.  Kerstetter has played right tackle, but I think he's a little more natural on the inside, maybe center, eventually.  

• Like (+1) 1

I think before we talk about the 'next Ryan Bates', we need to make sure he's not a fluke and can hold up over a 17+ game season at the level he showed last year once inserted into the lineup.

Because deep down I'm still a bit concerned about the oline situation and also worried about a guy like Spencer Brown having a dreaded sophmore slump after all the promise he showed last year as well.

Edited by FilthyBeast

On 7/9/2022 at 7:40 PM, Mr. WEO said:

So that would make it 3 Ryan Bateses in a row?

His legend is ever growing....

Yup, but he’s no Duke Williams…, 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/9/2022 at 10:20 PM, Dr.Sack said:

Back up O-line guys rarely “make an impact”,  league wide there is a dearth of quality O-line starters and back ups, not to say there can’t be the exception to prove the rule, as is said, fingers crossed 🤞 we have one or two that are truly good, 

Go Bills!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.